Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 267 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #3991
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It's pretty straight forward really. Threaded end with the jam nut goes towards the lower, passenger side on the axle. I put mine on upside down the first time.

There are a few different ways to go about it. I used a ratchet strap to center the axle - not the easiest way. An easier way is to take off the track bar, turn your steering wheel to 'center' the axle, and put the new track bar on. Then, measure to see how far off you are. If you are off an inch, adjust the track bar a half inch. Re-install. Moving the axle by turning the wheel is the easier method though.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #3992
99WJdan
1999 WJ 

I put some loctite on the jam nut. Mine always came loose and rattled.
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #3993
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Overnight Shipping!

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #3994
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherojeep View Post
I have this same lift, springs and bilsteins sitting in my living room. need to get other parts before i do the install.

mine is surely not as clean as yours though. nice build!!
Thanks man! I probably should have waited for new shocks but I could not resit!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #3995
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
It's pretty straight forward really. Threaded end with the jam nut goes towards the lower, passenger side on the axle. I put mine on upside down the first time.

There are a few different ways to go about it. I used a ratchet strap to center the axle - not the easiest way. An easier way is to take off the track bar, turn your steering wheel to 'center' the axle, and put the new track bar on. Then, measure to see how far off you are. If you are off an inch, adjust the track bar a half inch. Re-install. Moving the axle by turning the wheel is the easier method though.
I had saw that before on your thread. Happens no biggie.

We did the steering wheel type method on the rubicon and whatever we did made the steering wheel go wayyyyy off center. I don't know how that happened. While I was working today I thought that I could ask you if you could count your threads on your JKS bar to give me a pretty close feel to where mine would need to be. Also did you adjust your drag link at all? Mine seems off a little bit. When going straight, I think I have to hold the steering wheel to the left some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJdan View Post
I put some loctite on the jam nut. Mine always came loose and rattled.
I will keep that in mind! Don't want that to happen! Thanks!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #3996
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

adjust your draglink to re-center your wheel after your toe is properly aligned.
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #3997
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yeah I'll count my threads when I get home this evening!

Your steering wheel will be off quite a bit. I did not personally adjust anything besides the track bar. Once I installed the lift, I took it in to get an alignment. Besides re-centering the steering wheel, everything was almost right where it needed to be.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #3998
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI View Post
adjust your draglink to re-center your wheel after your toe is properly aligned.
Thought toe did not really change with the lift? Just lost some caster with the lift.

Quote:
Yeah I'll count my threads when I get home this evening!

Your steering wheel will be off quite a bit. I did not personally adjust anything besides the track bar. Once I installed the lift, I took it in to get an alignment. Besides re-centering the steering wheel, everything was almost right where it needed to be.
Thank man. That should get me pretty close to where I need to be with mine. Cause like I was saying before, when we tried to do the steering wheel method with the Rubicon, the steering wheel was like upside down going straight haha.

Well that is good to know that nothing else really changed. I probably need to go out a few turns on the drag link and kind of trial and error with it. Adjust some and see how it is. Can't really mess that up, I don't think.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #3999
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

All that you can change is your axle centering a la JKS trackbar and the drag link AKA steering wheel centering. What I did for the steering wheel centering was to make sure the tires were going straight forwards, on the ground, and had my roommate watch the steering wheel and let me know when it was centered as I adjusted the drag link. She's dead on center now . Also the Toe does not change, tie rod is connected knuckle to knuckle so adding lift did NOTHING. If it was good before then just let it be. Castor will inevtiably change but there really isnt anything you can do about it unless you get new arms. I have not noticed any real negative consequences and the improvement in shocks and springs negates the castor misallignment. Oh you could also use adjustable ball joints to adjust castor I believe but its not worth it. I think stock arms are fine up to 3inches or so but go much over and you really want new arms. You're fine now get the rear bilsteins and prepare for awesome-sauce ride. I wish videos could do my Jeep justice on the road. My phone likes to smooth out motion so you can't really notice how awesome it rides/handles from my inside videos.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #4000
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

**castor

sorry!!! thanks for the correction.
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #4001
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Tomorrow after work (if I am not physically tapped out, lol, pulling weeds and digging them up for 6+ hours will do a toll to your back at least it did to mine!) I will give the drag link a few turns and see what happens. That will probably be all it needs. Alignment was done about 20K miles ago with the new tires. I have only curbed it a few times since

As for the track bar. I just keep watching videos of the bushings having stupid amounts of play in them after just a few months... Scary. I want to see how out of whack the axle is, don't think it was that bad as I thought. The tires were not straight when I was looking at it before

The Jeep has settled a tad since yesterday. I am sitting about 20.25 all around now. Which is good, I wanted the front end to come down some. The Front LCA angles are not that far off from still being parallel to the ground. They have some angle to them, but nothing that is crazy.

Those were my friends 5100's. Mine are in transit. Thought that I would make a little joke but, didnt really work haha. The Jeep is doing some whacky bouncing around, would assume 1000% to blame on the shocks being about topped out and making their effectiveness practically zero.

My plan for the rear is to get 5100's for the rear when they come available, I am also going to get new longer sway links and putting the 3/4 rear spacer in to help the rear sit a bit higher. I just like that how it looks better with the rear up a little higher.

Even with the TRASHHHH shocks on there, body roll has been drastically reduced and nose dive is gone when slamming brakes. Not even with the bilsteins on!?!?!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #4002
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude I'm telling you the OMEs are magic. Once you get nice rear shocks you'll love it, my body roll is wayyy down from stock levels

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #4003
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I just got around to counting threads and measuring the track bar. With the jam nut tightened, I have 9 full threads showing from the bottom of the track bar. Also, I'm at 32 & 5/8" from eye to eye. That should get you pretty close!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #4004
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Dude I'm telling you the OMEs are magic. Once you get nice rear shocks you'll love it, my body roll is wayyy down from stock levels
Oh I know, I am pretty happy with it all so far! The stance of the Jeep now is awesome. Need to go find other WJ and take pics next to them!

Quote:
I just got around to counting threads and measuring the track bar. With the jam nut tightened, I have 9 full threads showing from the bottom of the track bar. Also, I'm at 32 & 5/8" from eye to eye. That should get you pretty close!
Thanks for doing that man! It was actually YOUR video of the JKS bar that the bushings were bad in. What did you do with them/fix?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #4005
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I ordered the KOR bushings. I'm hoping to install them this weekend. I don't know if its just because I have the fix on my counter or if I just stopped paying attention to it but I don't think I've had quite as bad bump steer and have had no death wobble... Oh well, clearly they need fixed!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.