Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 264 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #3946
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Hey I see my name! Haha. That is correct. 20.75 all around which is 1.75" lift rear and 2.75" lift front, which leveled the ride. If you leave your spacers in the rear, that will get you to 2.5" lift rear which will *almost* keep your factory rake.

I haven't measure since December. If you would like, I could grab some new numbers tonight and see how it's settled...
Haha, you are a good example to compare too, the exact same setup! If you don't already know, I only have the "B" springs that are 1/4 inch to a 1/3 inch shorter then then the "A" springs and do not plan on doing the isolators. Between that and the isolators, maybe will be around 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower. I wonder how the a-arm is going to like ~2.5 inches of lift. Are you running any mods to it or just stock?

I would be really interested too see how they settled, between the isloators and the springs breaking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I'd be willing to guess if they were completely shot, between .5" and 1" - but that would be a very drastic situation. I bet Billz has a bit more accurate guesstimate on this.

I have the zones. They are very nice. The 'eyes' are angled creating more of a factory style mounting position.
I would guess to be around 1/2 inch of sag from the old isolators. In all honesty, mine were not that bad when I took the springs out to do the 3/4 inch BB puck spacers.

Will take some looks at the Zone

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #3947
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Mine were squashed 5/8" front and 3/4" rear. Based on before + after measurements replacing just the isolators with the lift already installed.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #3948
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Okay, thanks for the information! So today, I am going to pick them up from the storage unit today. Then going to dive into the project tomorrow. Impact gun and air ratchet should make this a bit easier too!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #3949
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I wonder how the a-arm is going to like ~2.5 inches of lift. Are you running any mods to it or just stock?
I'm running mine stock for now. I don't think 2.5" requires anything like A-Arm spacers or anything like that. While it is getting tweaked a bit, I don't think 2.5" is changing the angles enough to write home about.

Quote:
I would be really interested too see how they settled, between the isloators and the springs breaking in.
I'll slap a tape on tonight when I get back from my soon-to-be niece's graduation. I'm a bit curious as well as to how it settled down.

Quote:
Will take some looks at the Zone
Maybe you talked about it earlier but is there a reason you are looking for new end links as opposed to spacer blocks between the frame and end link mounts? Just curious.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #3950
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I did not think so for the a-arm. Will have to dig out my noob lift chart again. I am pretty interested too see those numbers too. I doubt the OME's settled out all that much but more the iso's crushed down some.

I did have a conservation with another member about them, he was saying that they create more force on the unibody. They way he explained it logically made sense.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #3951
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

i do have 3" IRO sway links for sale if you need...just make an offer, majority of my 3" lift stuff came off, including my front disco's...
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #3952
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI
i do have 3" IRO sway links for sale if you need...just make an offer, majority of my 3" lift stuff came off, including my front disco's...
Alright man. Ill talk to you after the lift and see how it goes.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #3953
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Uhhhh ohhh. This is why you drive Jeeps to work. Dad's car at the office.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #3954
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Collected all the Springs, jack stands, floor jack, wrenches, etc. Also instead of getting the air tools out. I am going to try the new electric impact gun by snap-on. here I am interested too see how well it works.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #3955
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:

I did have a conservation with another member about them, he was saying that they create more force on the unibody. They way he explained it logically made sense.
You're going to school for engineering right? How about you draw a vector diagram and find out for yourself?
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #3956
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
You're going to school for engineering right? How about you draw a vector diagram and find out for yourself?
On it boss, give me a bit to work/think it out.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #3957
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

WJ Rear Sway Drop Brackets

Alright let’s see here, from what the picture looks like (that I stole from RC’s directions). What I see here is that the silver drop bracket is extending a “lever” on the two bolts because of the angle the sway bar link itself is pulling on the mount, extension, and the body. When the Jeep were start to have body roll on a turn and start to pull down on link, (well you can think of the body pulling “up” on the mount. However you want to look at it) it is going to create more force on the unibody because the drop bracket it effectively lengthening the “lever” therefore multiplying the force on the unibody. Now if the sway link was only pushing/pulling straight up and down, I do not see how the drop bracket would be bad in that particular case.

Another possible way to look at this case now is to picture trying to push a tree over. It would be much easier to attempt to push it over at the top of the tree. Compared to trying to push the tree over over at the stump because there is not as much leverage.

This was my little analysis based on the picture that the sway link is not vertical to the mount or perpendicular to the unibody. I actually do not recall how mine sits, if it straight up and down, this could all be null and void. However, if the link is not perpendicular to the unibody there is some truth to this. Yet the angle looks fairly close to straight vertical, so the horizontal force on the mount should be minimal.

Hope that make sense, sometimes what rattles around in my brain does not always transfer 100% to words. :P

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #3958
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As a fellow engineering student I concur. Torque in a nutshell is proportional to the force being applied and the distance at which it is being applied down a "lever". Focusing on immediate factors your torque against the unibody due to the sway bar links is given by the equation torque= force * distance * sin(theta) where theta is the angle the sway bar links make with the unibody. Now in normal standing state the sway bar links are for the most part perpendicular to the body which will create a force angle of 180 degrees and the sin of 180 is 0 so you will not create any torque by pulling on it straight down. Enter a scenario where you're taking a turn or flexing offroad and your body is no longer parallel to the axle. Now the sway bar links will no longer be perpendicular so when the sway bar pulls on them you are exerting a torque against the sway bar unibody mounts. When the mount is up against the body this torque is significantly less than if you use a swaybar mount spacer, at which point you are applying force at a greater distance from the point at which the torque is being referenced (the swaybar mounts). The mount extension essentially becomes a lever extension and you exert notably more torque against the already weak unibody mounts. IMO because of this extended sway bar links are a much nicer option and will exert the force right at the unibody mount instead of adding a "lever" of sorts as a torque multiplier.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #3959
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI
Hey, would you mind measuring from eye to eye what length those IRO links are. I'm not quite sure if my links are 3 or 4" that I have. Guy I bought em from said they were good 3-4"

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #3960
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

sure, i'll let you know on facebook tomorrow? ~12hrs from now. bussin my night shift right now....
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.