Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 260 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #3886
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah. No question it's good stuff. Just spendy is all.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #3887
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Not afraid to spend some cash on something like good or overly-good brakes. Especially for less then dealer costs!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #3888
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How heavy is that trailer you're towing again and what's in it?

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #3889
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Trailer is 1200 pounds. Then up to 3000 pounds of mulch. Maybe more, depends on how many yards I need.

Edit, then a regular basis. Probably around 1600 with trailer and my equip.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #3890
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Here is one of the trailer that I will be using.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #3891
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

We've got pretty hefty fines out here for driving with an unsecured load (after a string of deaths-by-garbage-falling-out-of-pickups). Be safe! Lash that yard waste down!

Looks like a nice utility trailer! My next-door neighbors have a similar tandem-axle version. Jealous!
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #3892
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I am sure we do to, the last thing I want is some crap to fly out on to someone's car! This was shot before my friend and I had a good ol time jumping on it then putting 5 ratchet down straps over it.

Thank you, my best friend who is a year old then me just flat out bought it one day. Nice to have friends with cash and who let you borrow their stuff any time! 6*12 and gets the job done with out a problem! He considered tandem with a 6*16 but did not need the length or want to deal with brakes.

My dad also has a "Load-Rite" single axle trailer that is pretty useful. Can fit our 3 ATV's on it. Will probably be using that this summer as well. Neither trailers have brakes so I want to get some good brakes on the Jeep.

Found some pictures of the Rubicon with the other trailer

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #3893
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Neither trailers have brakes so I want to get some good brakes on the Jeep.
Now I understand the NEED for the super-spendy Stillen brakes. You'll probably want to put some aggressive pads on the rear brakes as well, something that can hold heat without fade.

Of course I'd be remiss if didn't mention that it was a very bad idea and also (likely) quite illegal to tow a 1200 lb trailer with 3000lbs of mulch in it without trailer brakes. Most states have a 2000lb limit on un-braked trailers.
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #3894
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Another note - if you are perma-borrowing your friend's trailer all summer to make money, you might want to pay the dude a cut as a "rental fee" on the trailer. Even if it's just a couple hundred bucks at the end of the season. Borrowing is one thing, running a business on someone else's equipment is another.
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #3895
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yes, I want to be safe as I can and do not mind getting some more expensive brakes that can handle the extra weight by biting more and dissipation of the extra heat. I will have to check the amount of pad left on the rears, they were replaced not too long ago. The rear rotors, I am not sure when they were replaced off hand.

I am not sure how much 6*12*(2 or 3 foot sides) of mulch weighs... We had it pretty much leveled out through the whole trailer once. That was very heavy. The other times were less. They sold the trailer with a "Gross combined weight of 2995 pounds" in VA which apparently deems brakes are not needed?

I agree with that and don't want to take advantage of someone's kindness. The few times I used it, we actually used it together (we also do lawn business stuff together). He will let me tow the trailer for fun too, depending on what we are doing etc. This summer may be different etc, so I am bring down Dad's trailer to use to avoid any conflicts (I need it vs he needs it) and not put wear and tear on his trailer. I am going to be doing a lot more yards in a larger area this summer. I totally understand where you are coming from with that too. In THIS case, he has more money that he knows what to do with and could care less!

Towing regularly this summer, glad I prepared with the aux trans cooler and need to get some serious brakes going.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #3896
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

If you went 6*12*3 you'd be carrying 8 yards of mulch. If we're talking about bark-type mulch you are looking at 450-500lbs/yd. So yeah, min 3600lbs for a full trailer. Best stick to 4 yards to keep it legal and within the trailer's rated weight limit.

FWIW Jeep recommends max 2k with no trailer brakes but your brake upgrades should surely be able to handle it. Then the question becomes liability... if you are in a wreck and it is determined that your trailer was overloaded or beyond the rated capacity of your vehicle you expose yourself to personal liability beyond mere insurance coverage. Another consideration is insurance when vehicle/trailer are used for a commercial purpose. Sorry, I don't mean to massively over-complicate your summer landscaping work, and you may have thought of these issues already, just lookin out for you.
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #3897
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yikes, while the Jeep was more then capable of towing 3600 pounds, the fact that the trailer didn't have brakes is the issue. I just looked up the laws in VA and the max trailer combined weight before needing brakes is 3000 pounds. Anything over legally should have brakes. Now as far as liability. Scenario, trailer GCWR is 2995 and I've got ~2500 (total) in there and something were to happen, would it be the Jeep's rating for "non braked trailers" (2000) that they would be looking at?

Well the black trailer is 1100 or 1200 dry and my Dad's silver one is about 900 dry. The "normal" use for the trailer will be toting around the lawn mower (self propelled walk behind), blower, weed eater, gas, and some misc tools. Maybe a cooler. I doubt all of that will break 2K pounds. I know that both the trailers are overly big for that small amount of stuff, I wish I had a small 4*8 haha. If need be I can get a tandem trailer with brakes (and a controller for the Jeep) for some bigger stuff or just half it with the current trailers.

Just want to do as much as I can to stay safe and legal and out of any trouble!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #3898
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Your normal cargo wouldn't be a problem. Just when you are doing mulch... to stay legal with that trailer you'd be limited to 4 yards, to stay within the Jeep's rating you'd be at 2 yards and only using 1/4 of the capacity of the trailer.

How about when you need to spread mulch you rent a U-haul truck for the day (or borrow someone's?) and you don't have to worry so much about about trailer weight.
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #3899
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I guess when it comes to mulch, may just have to do 2 trips if need be. I still need to get back home and see how big some of these client's yards are. As for the regular, that really shouldn't be an issue. If I get something crazy (which I doubt) My uncle has a 07 Chevy 3500 dually and a 16 yard dump trailer. Haha

Just because of the frequency of toting around 1.5 or 2k pounds is why I want the Stillens. I think that would be worth the money still.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #3900
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Gunna go ahead and raise my hand here I did some research and I'm pretty sure my trailer dry is ~1200lbs and
My good ol Mako 19 should clock in at just about 2100. Luckily the trailer is in great shape, dual axle (not quite necessary) and has proper weight distribution. The WJ seems to have absolutely no problem with it and braking has never been a task since the Thermoquiet upgrade. I was kind of scared when it had OEM pads though. Wouldn't mind running trailer brakes on it eventually but it's hard to justify the price for the little distance I tow it... Highway twice a season and the rest are trips across a town with max speed limit of 20mph

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.