Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 255 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #3811
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Ahahaha. Lord of the Rings, the longest movies like ever. Yeah that motor is my dream.

Its fun to talk about all this stuff and I appreciate the time. I just hope im not wasting it because the chances of me being able to get the parts/cams/stroker are slim to none at the moment.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #3812
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My whole peeve behind all of this is that youre essentially making the 4.0+42 combination more tolerable for what it would cost to have a better foundation. Don't expect to go adding much power without having to deal with that transmission. My buddy Scibbs99wj did a 4.5 striker I believe and his tranny was gone within months IIRC. Its rebuilt stronger now but at how many thousands of dollars later? And at what point do you decide enough is enough with that d35? I say don't throw rediculous amounts of money into your Jeep. Care for it but inevitably you'll probably be a year or two away from doing these mods simply because of cost and ease of gathering materials. By then you'll have out maybe 10-20,000 miles on it and 130kish is right around the point where the 42 inevitably needs a rebuild. At that point pose the idea to the 'rents about getting another one with a better transmission (v8 with a 45) or getting it rebuilt but beefed up at the same time. At that point if it gets beefed up you can mod with less worries. I'm just sayin given how the 42 is so touchy any more power than what it's getting stock and I don't trust it. Lastly... Don't consider the stroker the end all solution. Expect NOTABLE drops in gas mileage, you're likely to get 17 at the most highway whereas I can pull 20 out of a v8 WJ. Aside from strokers consider no internal engine job deeper than the valve cover is going to be cheap. You will need to get a tune package which (I'd reccomend unlimited tuning) can get expensive $200 and then you'll need to upgrade your intake and exhaust accordingly to see the benefits say $500 and then you'll want new fuel injectors for sure to take advantage of the tune and cam maybe say $200 then you may need a new fuel regulator or sometimes even a pump... Heck if you're taking the engine apart might as well get some valve or upper end work done to get it to stop "sounding like a diesel" that could be a hundred bucks or so... You absolutely need a good torque wrench. Also when, not if, something goes wrong you want several hundred dollars on reserve to pay the shop to reverse what messed up. There's just so much potential money that I could get myself in deep with on modding the 4.0 it's such and appealing option to go buy a v8 WJ and my problem will be remedied. Sure in theory a modded 4.6 stroker will be faster, but the 4.7 is solid and has plenty of power for my liking.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #3813
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That makes too much sense. Stop with the logic, we're talking Jeeps here!

Ok cancel the last two pages of chat. Drive this one till its dead then buy a V8 and transfer your mods! Heck, by the time this one dies you'll be out of college and making the big bucks, you can buy whatever you want.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #3814
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Anndddddd that is where the reality of the entire situation comes back... well to reality.

So the whole problem is with my Jeep that I can complain about is the drive train...
-4.0 while being a great engine, lacks power, inst smooth at idle, and is noisy. Could deal with the 4.0 if it had more ponies
-42re, just all around trash. (fixable, shift kit with rebuild)
-242 is great, no issue there
-d35 trash... (swap it if the d35 breaks)

So it sounds like to me that I just need to do an ENTIRE drive train swap like that one guy did on here. Where he did it right and stripped the Jeeps down to nothing and rebuilt em.

While I can complain about some things... what is about to follow is what lingers over me, all the time. So story time, one night after working on the Jeep with dad, I drove to go get some gas. (Great father son bonding time while working on the Jeep BTW) Then, while I was riding with my dad in the Jeep, I talked to him about why he got the 4.0 and he had told me that he wanted from what he had heard about the motors and their simplicity. Then how we didn't NEED a v8... (Also got a discount? I am not sure how it all went down). Then I asked him about how he manged to tow 4K pounds, have 5 people in the Jeep and still make it up to PA etc. He gave me a little laugh and told me that he has "always known that the 4.0 lacks in power when towing, etc." Then he also told me, "has it ever left you stranded and or failed on you?" Followed with, "I know it won't get you there fast, but it will still get you there." That night I knew I had been beat in the v8 argument. I am so very lucky to have a sexy WJ that is paid for and have had the privilege to own since brand new. My dad knows I love my Jeep too, oh he knows. I know that my dad is happy when I am happy. I feel like it would almost be a slap in the face to him to ask for something that is "better" when the parents worked so hard to give me all that I have. Which honestly I have so much more then most others. So while I do complain, almost too frequently, I thought that everyone should know what was up. That there is much more too it all, and to why I just can't trade my Jeep in. I don't even have the heart to ask my Dad to let me trade in my Jeep for a v8 one. I care for what I have, which I think it shows with the amount of care I give to my Jeep! Driving it till she dies, which will be a long long time. Then by that time who knows, I will be out of college and have a job to by all the Jeeps that I want!!!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #3815
robd2003
2002 WJ 

I think you should always keep that jeep. Seems it has some sentemental value to you. You could always in doubt buy a v8 dub and have 2. One you grandpa and the other well... the other will be the toy.

For your dub being in such good condition, you just cant mess that up.
A v8 dub can be bore and stroked also, persay to a 5.0 if you really wanted. Then, let the fun begin
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #3816
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

You are right, I am going to keep the Blue one forever. There is just no way I can see it go to someone else. There is just a bit too much attachment to the one that I have now. :P

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #3817
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Current Shock Specs:
Front:
Extended Length (in) 22.750 in.
Collapsed Length (in) 13.540 in.

Rear:
Extended Length (in) 22.580 in.
Collapsed Length (in) 13.710 in.

How I need to get "ride-height" measurements from shock mount to shock mount... Judge how much up travel I will have with stock shocks with 2.5 inches of lift. If any up travel.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #3818
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You'll have lots of uptravel. Just no downtravel.

PS: OME HD lifts 2.75" front and 1.75" rear. I wonder why people keep calling it a 3" lift? It's really baffling how the WJ community accepts all their staggered lift heights as an equal lift - some are as much as 2" different front-to-rear.
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #3819
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Oh you are right, I had mixed those two up!

Hmm, CompCrasher (Matt) has seem to have netted more of a lift in the rear then that... However I do not know if you know that I only have the "B" springs which apparently are a 1/4 inch less tall then the "A" springs which is a negligible difference. I will have to message him again and see what his "net" over stock lift number are.

Too me, I would be happy if it was only a 2 inch lift or netted me a 2 inch lift! Because that is all that I want and can afford parts wise. I am just stoked to put those heavier spring rate springs on. Get ride of sag due to weight carrying, help body roll etc.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #3820
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

So you're using the OME Medium Duty springs?
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #3821
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

No, they are still OME HD springs. How I got this deal on the springs is a member her wanted to get all the OME HD "A" springs (by buying two sets of OME HD's) So he cut me a heck of a deal selling me all the 4 "B" springs from the HD set.

Apparently OME has "A" springs and "B" springs with the "A's" being ~ 1/4 inch taller to compensate for the driver side being a bit heavier and the weight of the driver. So the Jeep will sit a tad higher on the side with the "A" springs. So the JF Member wanted all "A" so I got all the "B" springs. But they are 4 OME HD springs just a tad shorter.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #3822
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ahhhh. Glad you got a deal. I sure as **** wouldn't be willing to pay $700 for two sets of not-quite 3" lift springs hoping to recoup $200 by selling the undesired ones off-retail. SMH. Glad it worked out for you though!

Here's what you do... take your B springs and add 1 OEM Trim Packer on each one (10mm spacers). Boom, you have "A" spring height.
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #3823
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Yeah I got a great deal actually. IIRC he had gotten the 2nd set of OME HD's and a JKS bar of of craigslist for cheap. Then turned around and sold me the B springs and the JKS bar for 250. Which I think that was a great deal.

As for ride height. I want to be 2 inches over stock in the front and rear. I would also like to keep some rake to it. So id like to get 20" front and 21" rear. Looks like ill keep my 3/4 rear spacers in there. Not sure what I want to do with my front 3/4 inch spacers yet.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #3824
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You're going to wind up taller that you want up front with just the springs, should be around 20-1/2" H-F all around.

If you really want 20" front and 21" rear sell your OMEs and buy BDS (and probably turn a profit doing it). That's exactly where I sat with the BDS springs, exactly 2" higher front and rear. Then I wanted less rake so I added spacers up front. I think you'll like the BDS spring rate better anyway for towing and hauling. Plus for handling, they are firm enough you don't need an Addco bar. =KZ= took his off and can barely tell the difference.
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #3825
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Weren't the BDS and OME HD Spring rates nearly identical? I just texted Matt and he said that net lifted about 2.7 inches all the way around. He said he will measure again for me.

I would also like to share this: Chris's OME HD heights Mind you he has brand new Iso's and the A springs too.

So it will end up being some trial and error to see what happens with my setup.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.