Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 254 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #3796
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Just watched the video. That guy's Jeep sounds like frosted butts. At least when he's revving it. He's got a great combination of ricey intake whistle and tractor/diesel sounding exhaust.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #3797
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yes, I edited my post - go to 505 Performance.
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #3798
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Also, in that video his G-tech is claiming 162 hp and a 12.75 0-60. That's pretty awful considering you pulled 160 and 10.xx stock.
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #3799
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Okay, I will check out that link from 505.

I am assuming that you mean that his Jeep sounded bad? I would not take the HP ratings from my little App to heart but the 0-60 time have been very accurate from what reviews have said. The HP rating is calculated based on weight of vehicle and something else. My best run last night was 10.3x second 0-60 at ~2100 feet of elevation with a 1/4 tank of gas. Do you think he was flooring it? I hope not because that was slow as mess.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #3800
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Browsing around 505 Performance... Could spent all my monies there.

Found this cam and stuff here
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #3801
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah it was pretty slow. When I counted off the seconds it was like a 16 second 0-60. And yes, I meant it sounded bad, especially when he was revving it while parked. Ricey whistling intake, diesel tractor-sounding exhaust. The Cat-delete was not his friend. I find cat-deletes usually make cars sound awful (had a few my self). The exception was the pre-cat delete on my S4 which allowed you to hear the turbine chop from the twin turbos.

The HP rating from your torque app is actually just about right considering the drivetrain losses with a big heavy 4wd/constantly-engaged system. I would expect a 200hp Jeep to hit right at 160hp, that's 20% drivetrain loss, not out of the realm of possibility since you have so much rotating mass.
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #3802
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Browsing around 505 Performance... Could spent all my monies there.

Found this cam and stuff here
Looks good, just remember that where you want your powerband is more like 1000-4000 rpm - think of where it shifts when you floor it. All the top-end in the world isn't going to help, especially if you need good towing and off-road performance. The first half of the rev range is where it's at for Jeeps. Favor low-end torque over top end power.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #3803
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Yeah it was pretty slow. When I counted off the seconds it was like a 16 second 0-60. And yes, I meant it sounded bad, especially when he was revving it while parked. Ricey whistling intake, diesel tractor-sounding exhaust. The Cat-delete was not his friend. I find cat-deletes usually make cars sound awful (had a few my self). The exception was the pre-cat delete on my S4 which allowed you to hear the turbine chop from the twin turbos.

The HP rating from your torque app is actually just about right considering the drivetrain losses with a big heavy 4wd/constantly-engaged system. I would expect a 200hp Jeep to hit right at 160hp, that's 20% drivetrain loss, not out of the realm of possibility since you have so much rotating mass.
Thankfully my Jeep doesn't sound farty (stock) and is actually pretty quite on the road which I like. It actually has a decent throaty deep sound when getting on it. Which can be heard in some of my videos. Well that is not too bad then for that app! So about 20% drive train loss for the WJ sounds about right?

Lol that twin-turbo setup was probably a far cry exception from the little 4.0 haha. That must have been a monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Looks good, just remember that where you want your powerband is more like 1000-4000 rpm - think of where it shifts when you floor it. All the top-end in the world isn't going to help, especially if you need good towing and off-road performance. The first half of the rev range is where it's at for Jeeps. Favor low-end torque over top end power.
That cam said its power band was from 1600-6000 rpms. (Not like I could afford that any of these mods anyways...) But, with that being said, it is still fun to talk about it! A cam with extra power in the 1000-4000 would be most useful because that is where the majority of DD'ing rpms are at. Actually, it is not uncommon for me to be hitting 3500 rpms in first gear after every stop light to just keep pace with traffic.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #3804
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I still like this one: http://www.shop.505performance.com/p...&categoryId=30 I ran a 272 on an SOHC 10v I5 motor and it opened up mid and top-end power without sacrificing on the bottom end. $400 with the install kit, really not that bad.

I think the reason people don't do cam installs is they are more labor intensive. You have to pull the radiator to do it (as well as the valve cover, rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters. It's a step beyond bolt-ons but I think it would be cool to do. Now I want a 4.0 to play with. Mods are fun and there's nothing for a V8 worth doing. Maybe I should get my ZJ back from my In-Laws. It broke down a month ago (fuel pump) and they seem to be interested in fixing it.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #3805
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

That would be a good cam and that is a decent price. But, the probably is that I myself can not do this install I would not know how to do this... Which means I would have to pay someone to do it. D:

Hahaha, I will trade you my I6 for your V8 any day so you can do some mods! The v8 HO does not need ANY more power mods!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #3806
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I think you could do it as long as you had someone to supervise/guide you. It's mostly just nuts and bolts. The only real tricky part is setting the cam timing, and even that's not all that tricky. But yeah, it's more involved than things like throttle body spacers and K&N filters.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #3807
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
I think you could do it as long as you had someone to supervise/guide you. It's mostly just nuts and bolts. The only real tricky part is setting the cam timing, and even that's not all that tricky. But yeah, it's more involved than things like throttle body spacers and K&N filters.
I do have a friend who works a Jeep dealership and could probably help me out. I am tossed back in forth with spending 500 bucks on a cam or spending 1000 on a budget stroker kit. Which I know the stroker kit will have more involved labor but may have more power gains in the end result and could also rebuild the engine too. The last time I tore into the engine (throttle body) I ended up breaking the IAC and mom wasn't to happy.

I might have to stick with some bolt on until I can get some cash for some serious engine mods. Or buy a v8 *rolls eyes*

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #3808
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I don't see anyone building a stroker for $1000.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #3809
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I thought you could get a new crankshaft and some 4.2 pistons or something like that... guess not. Yeahh I was wrong on the prices jakesracingengines

Then this keeps popping in my head Golen

I wish I was out of college and had a Job so I could buy toys and such!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #3810
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Golum-spec stroker... my precious!

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.