Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 248 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #3706
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
how bad? For something as minor as this?
You have 24 hours to report an accident to your insurance, claim or not. If the person you hit or the rental co decides to open a claim, your ins co has the option to drop you for no reporting it to them, considering they are the liable party.

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #3707
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Why do I need new control arms and are they sold by Iro and a drive shaft haha
wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #3708
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I told him the same thing. If theres any threat whatsoever of a claim get in contact with the person/rental car agency and offer to pay out of pocket... in the long run that small paint chip will cost alot less to repair than a jacked premium
I will call Dad and see what he wants to do. Whether or not to contact anyone or just let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
You have 24 hours to report an accident to your insurance, claim or not. If the person you hit or the rental co decides to open a claim, your ins co has the option to drop you for no reporting it to them, considering they are the liable party.
Woah, never heard of that. The Officer on the scene said that I did not need to do anything...
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #3709
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
Why do I need new control arms and are they sold by Iro and a drive shaft haha
Because the stock control arms are not long enough for proper caster. They new arms are sold on IRO's website. The new front drive shaft is needed depending on what you have currently.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #3710
robd2003
2002 WJ 

I had adjustable lowers and stock uppers and it was just fine. It performed very well offroad
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #3711
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I will call Dad and see what he wants to do. Whether or not to contact anyone or just let it go.

Woah, never heard of that. The Officer on the scene said that I did not need to do anything...

Don't worry about these guys. Insurance laws vary widely from state to state. You call the police, an officer responded, filed a report, and advised you that no further action was needed. That's the end of it.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #3712
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

Officer Bob doesn't work for State Farm.
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #3713
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

No, but usually LEOs are pretty well versed on what needs to be done in the case of car accidents. Your insurance and motor vehicle laws in Louisiana will be completely different than what Michael will have in Virginia. Even then, policies vary widely between insurance companies. In any case, the advice of a local law enforcement officer will be 100x more valuable than a bunch of internet jockeys.
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #3714
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Alright, well I talked to dad about it some more, he was going to call our Agent just to x2 check. Then that will take care of that. The Officer was actually a really nice guy and was nice enough to explain some questions that I had. This was my first "collision" on the road so I really didn't know all what to do. Thanks for all the input Richard.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #3715
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
I had adjustable lowers and stock uppers and it was just fine. It performed very well offroad
Yes, that is usually all you need for the front axle to correct the caster.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #3716
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

ok so how much togeth including the drive shaft the lift and the contol arms be
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #3717
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
ok so how much togeth including the drive shaft the lift and the contol arms be
649.99 for the IRO 4 inch kit
300+ for control arms
200+ for some decent shocks
400+ for the IRO front Drive Shaft
75 for the Transfer Case yoke
100+ alignment/mount/balance tires
50-75 shipping...
800 rims/tires

That comes out to be around 2600 dollars...

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #3718
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Well why do I need the yoke and the alignment
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #3719
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You need to replace both the transfer case yoke and axle yoke when you upgrade from your Rzeppa-jointed driveshaft to a U-jointed driveshaft. Carolina Driveline reportedly has a driveshaft that converts from CV joints to U joints by having flanged ends on the shaft. This is nice because then you don't have to buy yokes and change them (which is kind of a big deal on the front diff)

You need an alignment at 4" lift to set toe correctly and dial in the caster. This is critical to death wobble prevention.

However I would disagree with his pricing structure. I would go like this:
$649.99 for the IRO 4 inch kit
$300 for control arms
$300 for some decent shocks
$400 for a tom woods/carolina/IRO drive shaft
$135 for the Transfer Case + Dana 30 yokes
$100 mount & balance
$75 alignment
$200 shipping (by the time you ship all this stuff)
$200 bare minimum for rims (should you choose to get some steelies or something)
$800 for tires

Which would put you at $3200.

Now there are always cheaper ways to do things. You can just throw on the kit as-is and see what happens. Obviously, the upgraded shocks are not required, but they make a tremendous difference in ride quality plus tend to last much much longer. Most of the so-called "kits" give you the cheapest shocks available just to keep the entry price down.

Control arms are not optional. You need either upper or lower control arms to be adjustable to set caster.

If you have the CV driveshaft (and you probably do with a 2000) it will fail at 4" lift. You can go cheaper by getting a used OEM double-cardan shaft for say $100 but you still need yokes.

If you buy a used set of wheels + tires, you can save a ton of money. A really popular wheel + tire combo is the 32" tires and 17" wheels from the 2007-2012 Wrangler Rubicon. This is a really nice set of 17s and 255/75-17 BF-Goodrich Mud Terrain KM1 tires. Already mounted and balanced. These usually run $500-$800 for a set of 5.

Bottom line - it's expensive to lift. There are hidden costs beyond just the basic kit, and 4" is where those costs start multiplying. The 3" lift is getting to be a really popular size because it avoids so many of the 4" problems and doesn't really lose that much clearance or tire fitment. I'm at 3" front 2" rear and it's great. I went with the best of the best for everything I did, added some stuff that wasn't strictly required (like a JKS tie rod, quick disconnects, and HD differential covers) and I'm in it $1200. I've had zero issues with anything, I daily drive it, almost 20k on the lift in the last year, and I wheel it too. Everyone I go with is impressed with the capability it has in such an unassuming package (the LSDs help with that).

So if you're looking at that price tag and getting cold feet, it's time to take a look at something a little bit shorter. It's going to be a ton cheaper and a lot less of a headache.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #3720
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well I am glad I refreshed the page before I started typing/explaing more.

That response takes the cake!

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.