Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 243 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #3631
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Got some work done on the Jeep today. Starting off with the rear shocks. Well, I found the problem. The bolt that goes through was smaller then the metal sleeve on the shock. There was not much that I could do, and with that being said, I do not thing jamming the washers in there would have helped either. Soooo, while I had the tire off, broke out the good old torque wrench and got them down to 85 foot pounds. With hopes (since the metal sleeves have teeth on each side) that torquing them down will bite into the metal sleeves and keep them in once place, the in turn keeping the bushing from moving, and the eliminating the clunk, which I think it did!

Next off I glued on my lug nuts with some super glue... Haha, rephrase, I glued the "caps" back on to the lug nuts themselves. It is just a PIA when they fall off because then a 19 mm socket is too lose. So hopefully that will solve that issue. If not, back to the junkyard for more!

Ran around today too and returned and bought a few things. Took back the wire loom stuff, also took back the scratch -x 2.0, did not work well enough for 10 bucks. Then went to lowes and bought a 5" 1/2" drive extension and a 19mm 1/2 drive socket and torqued the lugs down to 105-110 ft pounds. All in a good few hours time, minus the bashing of the fingers when a socket slips off the bolt and the wrench and your hand goes right into the disk and caliper. OUCH.

Decent Fuel Econ today with a random Odometer shot.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #3632
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post

Next off I glued on my lug nuts with some super glue... Haha, rephrase, I glued the "caps" back on to the lug nuts themselves. It is just a PIA when they fall off because then a 19 mm socket is too lose. So hopefully that will solve that issue. If not, back to the junkyard for more!
I think the super glue will not solve the issue. Once it hardens it becomes very brittle. Once you apply torque, the glue is broken. Something flexible, like a dab of RTV might be a better choice if the super glue doesn't work out. Or spring $20 for a set of the American Muscle lug nuts: http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome...-lug-nuts.html

Quality is ok, avoid impact use on them. Firestone Tire Monkeys used an impact and the wrong size socket and chipped the chrome on mine. A year later, they are rusting. I'll buy another set though.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #3633
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I think the super glue will not solve the issue. Once it hardens it becomes very brittle. Once you apply torque, the glue is broken. Something flexible, like a dab of RTV might be a better choice if the super glue doesn't work out. Or spring $20 for a set of the American Muscle lug nuts: http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome...-lug-nuts.html

Quality is ok, avoid impact use on them. Firestone Tire Monkeys used an impact and the wrong size socket and chipped the chrome on mine. A year later, they are rusting. I'll buy another set though.
Ehhh, you are probably right. I was just getting pissed off at how many of the caps that I was losing when going down the road. If it doesn't work, will either buy a whole new set or just snag a few from the JY like I said.

Are those American Muscle Lugs Solid? I have tons of air tools and I frequently use the impact gun and then finish them off with a torque wrench... =/
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #3634
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Solid as in "burly" or solid as in "not hollow"? The answer is "somewhat" and "yes". I use my impact driver all the time on them with no issues. I'm sure the issue with the chrome was the wrong sized tool being used. After my alignment and tire rotation, they were all chipped to crap by Firestone Monkeys. I noticed right away because it came back with the tie rod and track bar jam nuts (the big 1-1/2" JKS nuts) all looser than finger tight and it was clunking badly on my way home.
Unread 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #3635
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Solid as in "burly" or solid as in "not hollow"? The answer is "somewhat" and "yes". I use my impact driver all the time on them with no issues. I'm sure the issue with the chrome was the wrong sized tool being used. After my alignment and tire rotation, they were all chipped to crap by Firestone Monkeys. I noticed right away because it came back with the tie rod and track bar jam nuts (the big 1-1/2" JKS nuts) all looser than finger tight and it was clunking badly on my way home.
Sorry about that, solid as in "one-piece". So from what you said, there is no cap. Well that is a plus. Wonder if they used a 3/4 inch socket? Oh, well that is good, I will bookmark that link. Should I get blue lug nuts??? ( that was sarcasm, as it does not always transfer well through text.)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #3636
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well I do hate to bother you all on stuff such as a whine or a noise. But I thought I would through it out there. It is a lower-pitched humming noise from the rear end. Probably rear axle.
  • Heard the most at highway speeds
  • can be heard at lower speeds as well but mostly at highway.
  • does not seem to change intestivy much with speed.
  • noise is only present under load, i.e. cruising or accelerating
  • If I let of the gas, it is goes away
  • happened to hear it AFTER I went wheeling and filmed that video
  • lower-pitched humming sound

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #3637
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Sorry about that, solid as in "one-piece". So from what you said, there is no cap. Well that is a plus. Wonder if they used a 3/4 inch socket? Oh, well that is good, I will bookmark that link. Should I get blue lug nuts??? ( that was sarcasm, as it does not always transfer well through text.)
Yeah, no caps. Just one solid nut. They take a 13/16" socket. Since the OEM wrench no longer fits, I got a folding 4-way lug wrench from Le Freight du Harbuer for $8.99 and stuck it under the seat with the jack.
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #3638
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Does it change frequency with speed changes?
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #3639
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah, no caps. Just one solid nut. They take a 13/16" socket. Since the OEM wrench no longer fits, I got a folding 4-way lug wrench from Le Freight du Harbuer for $8.99 and stuck it under the seat with the jack.
Psh, dang it, I just bought a Kobalt 19 MM socket. I think I will just grab some more from teh JY if need be. I love Harbour Freight.

Quote:
Does it change frequency with speed changes?
IIRC I want to say "no" but I will out again tomorrow running around and will listen for that. If it helps, doing 55 or 80 on the highway and it still sounds the same.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #3640
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well I do hate to bother you all on stuff such as a whine or a noise. But I thought I would through it out there. It is a lower-pitched humming noise from the rear end. Probably rear axle.
  • Heard the most at highway speeds
  • can be heard at lower speeds as well but mostly at highway.
  • noise is only present under load, i.e. cruising or accelerating
  • If I let of the gas, it is goes away
  • happened to hear it AFTER I went wheeling and filmed that video
  • lower-pitched humming sound
Mine will do that. Only at highway speeds... most noticeable when very lightly on the gas holding speed... but never when accelerating hard. I've been told its just the D35 being silly. Replacing the pinion bearing seems to be the "cure" but its not a dire problem in most cases. Mines more of a whine than a hum though. Any vibrations associated with it?

Quote:
Psh, dang it, I just bought a Kobalt 19 MM socket. I think I will just grab some more from teh JY if need be. I love Harbour Freight.

IIRC I want to say "no" but I will out again tomorrow running around and will listen for that. If it helps, doing 55 or 80 on the highway and it still sounds the same.
Mine gets a bit louder, ever so slightly doing 80 or so but more or less sounds exactly the same. Why are you buying kobalt tools?! Okay well I do kind of like them and they're good for individual use but Harbor Freight hand tools have never failed me and they also have a somewhat hidden and not talked about lifetime warranty on almost all of em.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #3641
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Mine will do that. Only at highway speeds... most noticeable when very lightly on the gas holding speed... but never when accelerating hard. I've been told its just the D35 being silly. Replacing the pinion bearing seems to be the "cure" but its not a dire problem in most cases. Mines more of a whine than a hum though. Any vibrations associated with it?
It is most notice on the highway and "cruising" the engine noise takes care of the rest. Stupid D35, need a 44a. That sounds expensive... =/ I am not putting any more money in the 35... I should have not even wasted any money on the Axle seals. It is just ANNOYING. No vibes.

Quote:
Mine gets a bit louder, ever so slightly doing 80 or so but more or less sounds exactly the same. Why are you buying kobalt tools?! Okay well I do kind of like them and they're good for individual use but Harbor Freight hand tools have never failed me and they also have a somewhat hidden and not talked about lifetime warranty on almost all of em.
Kobalt isn't anything fancy, the same as harbour freight tools. Lowes is 10 min away, and harbour freight is 50 min away.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #3642
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Kobalt isn't anything fancy, the same as harbour freight tools. Lowes is 10 min away, and harbour freight is 50 min away.
More sarcasm. Kobalt is some nice stuff

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #3643
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah what I was going for was why the hell are you spending so much on Kobalt tools hahah while I do like a nice set of tools my HF sockets are just as good as my craftsman ones

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #3644
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah what I was going for was why the hell are you spending so much on Kobalt tools hahah while I do like a nice set of tools my HF sockets are just as good as my craftsman ones
Well I am not so sure about that. I bent/broke my HF socket... i.e. had to buy a new one (Kobalt)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #3645
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Whaaaaaaat?! How the... I just got the extendable ratcheting 1/2" one the 3/8 ones have all been retired to interior work haha that's probably why. But I've snapped grade 10.9 control arm bolts with that 1/2" ratchet

Matt

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.