Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 241 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #3601
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Dang it, hopefully in the next month or so they will start getting all the orders filled. I won't be ordering until the summer.

Oh very nice. I have heard that people had issue with the JKS bushings being to soft.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #3602
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I've heard that as well. Haven't had a problem. I did have to really crank down the bolts on both ends of the track bar but otherwise no issues.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #3603
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I figured that with a heck of a torque down. They should be okay. Plus, you and I are running/going to be running a mild lift. Which is less stress then others. The track bar is boarder line not being 100% needed for 2.5 inches of lift.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #3604
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm boycotting RC honestly their quality control for the WJs is at an unacceptably low level. I wish IRO made discos that company makes some awesome stuff. Will look into the Teraflex ones but the JKS ones will do if need be. If I spend $150 on them I will definitely chew that company out if they start making noises. I don't mind noises on old parts I know I need to replace but when I buy a new part and it clunks that just tells me it wasn't designed well enough.

Oh and me... 2.7" lift, no trackbar... No problems. I will be investing eventually though

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3605
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I know what you mean. I won't buy any of their other products and I hesitate to recommend the discos without modification. At the very least, replace the stupid aluminum roll sleeve they use as a spacer (seriously WTF) and use some real metal. Even my ghetto stack of 12mm washers have been perfect since I fixed the discos. And we all know how important sway bar geometry is. Lastly, by mounting on the outside face of the sway bar, the links become perfectly vertical (although you can't use the retaining posts anymore).

But no, I won't touch anything else they make. Especially since I can PROVE that their "billet 6061" wheel spacers are actually cast aluminum.

When I popped my stock track bar off, the whole body shifted over somewhat violently. And then it still took another 1/2" of persuasion or so to get the axle recentered. One of my motivating factors was to get more articulation. Whereas the stock control arms have bushings with a lot of void area, allowing axle pivot, the track bar (by necessity) has vulcanized rubber bushings that don't allow side-to-side motion. They also don't allow much in the way of twist. No, not a necessary upgrade, but I am going for as much capability as possible without going 4". Plus vehicles with an off-center axle tend to track weird and follow ruts on the freeway. Plus, it looks *****in.
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #3606
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Maybe IRO will make some QD's if we ask them too? What would make the best QD for the WJ...

I have heard that crap about their wheel spacers being "China made garbage"

As for the Track-bar, Since I already have it, I do not see why I shouldn't use it. Throw it on there and get it close to center. Then I have a very reputable shop near me that does alignments on lifted/modified Jeeps and trucks who can get it "closer"

Richard, I was attempting to explain to Matt about loosening and re-torquing the control arms when lifting. I am pretty sure I did a terrible job of explaining why, can you try to give some more detail on why you need to do this. Or I think you need to. Again, many thanks.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #3607
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I would be glad to once I am off my Droid and back at a PC.
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #3608
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I would be glad to once I am off my Droid and back at a PC.
Haha, no problem. When we were talking about the Trans Cooler, I was typing out those huge posts on my Droid and it got obnoxious.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #3609
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ha! That's commitment right there.

I typed this up on another thread, figured it gets the job done so I'm reposting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
There's something that needs to be done with every lift that I neglected to include with my write up. All suspension arms utilizing rubber bushings need to be loosened, the suspension cycled once or twice (bounce it up and down), and then re-torqued. this needs to happen on both ends of the arm. The bushings get put under stress as the center of the bushing is still oriented for stock height/control arm angle, and now the arm is at a steeper angle. The rubber is in a constant state of stress and this can prevent the body from sitting perfectly level. The arms that need to be loosened/retorqued:
1)Front upper control arms
2)Front lower control arms
3)Track bar (assuming you kept stock bar)
4)Rear lower control arms

This will un-bind all the rubber bushings. It will probably help with leveling the body slightly and will certainly prolong the life of the bushings. Note that the steering components and rear upper A-arm do not need any attention, these use a different joint/pivot that doesn't apply torque to rubber bushings.
To put in context, we were talking about a just-lifted WJ not sitting level. While that's part of it, bushing life is the most important reason. This should be done on any vehicle that's had a ride height change. If anything's unclear, LMK and I'll clarify.

Also note is that this is only valid for arms that have bonded rubber bushings. For example, the factory control arms have rubber bushings where the central sleeve does not rotate freely. Even some of the aftermarket arms appear to have bonded rubber bushings. Something like the JKS track bar (where the center sleeve is not bonded to the surrounding) can rotate freely as the suspension cycles, so there's no need to re-torque that sort of item. Likewise for Johnny Joints or Heim joints where pivoting on the fastener is unrestricted.
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #3610
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thank you Richard. That is what I was looking for. How the bushing are under stress at a different ride height.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #3611
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

A while back we were talking about more chrome on the Jeep. Wanted to post this to show what it would look like with the chrome grille insert.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #3612
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Awww poor WJ, sad sight to see

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #3613
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The rubber donut thingys are supposta be on the ground, right?
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #3614
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I thought that too? Could be wrong? Maybe less rolling resistance on the roof...

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #3615
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

About to hit BUY NOW Jeep!!!

KBB valued at 17,200!

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.