Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 240 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #3586
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Airing down and discoing helps so much with traction, I think you could have made it. Just unbolt the OE end links and zip tie it up out of the way.

There are actually 4 places to wheel (in the winter) within 3 hours of here. 2 of them are harder than I want to attempt (like, lockers, 33s, and come home with damage hard), and the other is another piece of private property. It was worth checking out but it wasn't really anything like trails. It was more like a giant dirt pit. Lots of valleys and hill climbs with 10 ways to get up, a couple gulches that are over my head, and one twisty trail-like area that no one uses. And lots and lots of garbage. They host several clean-up events every year to collect garbage and keep the guy who owns it happy. When we went, it was obvious that some people had done horrible things to some animals there, I saw 3 dead dogs (you don't want to know how they died) and a complete, fresh dead horse. So I'm not going back. Pictures from that trip are here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/.../#post11548080

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #3587
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I had thought about just having to unbolt one side and leave the other connected. The sway bar would just move with the one side. For next time!

We were actually out there for a trail clean up before we actually go to wheeling for the same reason, to keep the property owner happy.

Oh no, that is really really pathetic, cruel, and just horrid. I would not be going near there again. Pictures looked like a blast, and the front disco'd
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #3588
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Actually, I could only get one side off on that trip. After that I got discos since I couldn't get the passenger side off without laying on my back in the dirt. Having one side discoed was not very effective as the passenger side still couldn't droop effectively. So I don't recommend that setup. What would be ideal would be to get ahold of an AntiRock like we were discussing last week, just that no one has figured out how to make it work yet. And it's pretty expensive to be the guinea pig.
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #3589
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I just watched the AntiRock sway bar video on Currie's website. It looks really cool and basically gives more flex over stock, which is the plus side obviously, but what I did not like is how they said that it is not as stiff as the stock bar, which it can't be to give more flex. But, I don't think I could run that because it is a lighter bar, and I need all anti-sway with the Jeep. I could go with an electronic lock/unlock sway bar.

How is only connecting one side limit travel on one side? I would have thought that just letting one side off, would be fine. Theoretically be no limit on the travel? Or I could get some JKS Quick Disco's and call it a day!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #3590
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It's still connected to the body. The sway bar end links don't freely pivot, and as the bar rotates with axle travel, the arc it makes restricts motion. Disconnecting one side kills the advantage of having a sway bar without having the flex of being disconnected. Trust me, it didn't work out very well. Slightly better than connected, but no, just no.

I had both the JKS and the Rough Country discos. The JKS's clunked a fair bit after only 3000 miles. When I asked JKS how I could fix it (after trying many different things) they told me "thanks for your money go piss up a rope" more or less. The RCs were defective right out of the box but RC did make it right. Then the crush sleeves they came with crushed, the hardware is all garbage, the links much too long for 3" lift and the design poor. Neither is a great option but I'm making do with the RCs.

Now that I've fixed all the issues with the RCs, they actually work very well. Clunk free for 10k so far and the geometry is fixed for better ride + handling.
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #3591
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh true, I can see what you are saying now. I was thinking that with one side disco'd that the other would have a longer range of travel seeing how the other side was not limiting it at all. But the way to go is to get both side disco'd. Just get some on board air and an impact gun with me so I can quickly take off the links!

Ew, I hate clunking. I do remember reading about you modifying the front links from RC and making due with them. That disappoints me that JKS would have that low of quality, then the customer service just shot out the rest. Especially because JKS is not cheap. Does IRO have a front disconnect link? If I had time, tools, and material, I'd like to try to fab some QD's with some heim joints or something with some sort of disconnect method that I could come up with.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #3592
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, you DO get a little longer travel with one side discoed, just not enough to make much difference.

Yeah the JKS were a little spendy for them to tell me, "Yup, Jeeps get driven hard, things are going to clunk" meanwhile they have 3000 miles on them and have never been wheeled on...and if they had, they would have be disconnected. I sold them to "CantFocus" for less than 50% retail, he has no issues with them. I can't explain that one.

I used to make end links for VW/Audi and MINI applications back when I ran my business. I used Heim joints with LH/RH threads like a jackscrew and then used aluminum hex stock for the body of the link. Voila, you can dial out the pre-load in your sway bars. Testing quickly turned them from a "Hey I can make a popular product" to "I'll make these on-demand for track applications only". Here's the thing...

Heim joints are a bad idea if you want clunk-free. There's no way to make them movable without also giving them slack to rattle. You need some sort of ball joint and/or rubber bushing setup to dial out the NVH. They also are not sealed, they will pick up tiny grit particles which will wear the socket. The greaseable ones are a little better, and the Teflon-lined ones are better still, but they are extremely spendy and still wind up wearing out. And when they do wear out, they aren't serviceable. The RCs are actually fairly smartly designed there, as long as you can work around their deficiencies.

Now if Currie would hurry up and make some tiny Johnny joints, that would be ideal. I have a lot of respect for the JJ, they have solved all the problems I had with Heim joints 8 years ago.
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #3593
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

For the little amounts of wheeling that I do, I can live the stock bar, for now.

As for the JKS QD's, I could not tell you what was going on with them! But that does seem pretty odd, then to have the other person not have an issue? Maybe he already has other clunks and noises from his Jeep?

So Heim joints are a metal on metal ball and socket type joint. While the Johnny Joints are the same principal but with a rubber bushing in them to minimize if not reduce the movement/clunks. Currie has some sweet products, have been browsing around their webpage.

As for the RC QD's it seems like the stuck with the "KISS" method, which usually works out for the better. On the bottom they have a simple bushing that mirror's the stock design. While on the top, the have what looks to be a mini TRE. Seems like it would work without a problem

I have an idea that just popped in my head, could you take the stock links, and replace one the bolts with a "king-pin" so you can just pull it out for QD purposes? Or would that be too lose and cause noise?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #3594
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You've got it on both the RC discos and the Currie JJs.

You're thinking of "lynch pin" not kingpin. A kingpin is something totally different used in place of ball joints on heavy duty axles.

There have been more than a few ZJ guys who did the DIY disconnects using a lynch pin, they eventually all end up clunking. But then again, the sway bar mount on the ZJ axles are a single-shear tab on the bottom, it gets put under different load than WJ links do. But there's the problem of the metal sleeve in the OEM sway bar bushings - If you don't have a torqued bolt holding it in place, the metal sleeve will rattle on the lynch pin constantly.

Teraflex has disconnects as well but they never seem to get mentioned (probably because Teraflex is kind of a non-entity for the WJ community). I wonder how well they work? They seem more similar to the JKS without being adjustable.

http://www.teraflex.biz/wj-grand-cherokee-swaybar-disconnects-2-4-inch-lift.html

They claim silent function. I wonder what material they use for the end bearings/bushings.
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #3595
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Awesome.

I have not heard of that term before. I was thinking "king-pin" because I think that is what you call the pin that holds the ball mount in the trailer receiver. I wonder if you get a tighter bushing to replace the stock bushing with the metal sleeve and just shove a lynch pin in there. Again just tossing some ideas for some cheap ideas.

You are totally right, Teraflex did not even cross my mind. Those are pretty cool too, but ~3x the cost of RC. It looks as if you can pull all 4 pins and just take them off completely and then do something to tie up the bar.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #3596
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Awesome.

I have not heard of that term before. I was thinking "king-pin" because I think that is what you call the pin that holds the ball mount in the trailer receiver.
That's a hitch pin, silly! But I see what you're getting at.

I think the RCs would work out. Just buy two 1/2-20 dies and shorten them about 3-4" for a stock height WJ. Mount them on the outside of the sway bar, not inside, replace the stupid crush sleeve with some suitable steel, or even the sleeves from the JKS kit (they will sell you the individual parts), add washers to the upper joint where it meets the sway bar. Essentially, do everything I did but make it shorter. If you do eventually go down this road let me know I can give you more in-depth pointers.
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #3597
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

For some reason I have always called it a king-pin... I don't know where I picked that up from. Same difference?

For budget reason, I would probably consider those, even thought I am NOT a fan of RC. I wouldn't be getting them until after the OME HD's get put on and I get my Bilsteins. Those are the big summer plans so far. Get OMEs/Bilsteins. I also have a brand new JKS TB but I am not sure if I need to put them on or not. Like you said, as the time comes, we can discuss in more depth on what to do with them.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #3598
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Better get your order in for Bilsteins now!
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #3599
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Better get your order in for Bilsteins now!
Aren't those back-ordered like crazy right now?! Do you know what is going on with them?

Did you change your JKS bushings? Or had an issue with your stock JKS bushings? (For your TB)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #3600
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Just backordered. Same thing when I bought mine a year ago.

I kept the original JKS bushings. They were plenty firm, to the point I had to use a vice to get the center sleeve into the bushings. I've had no issues.

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.