Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 239 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #3571
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
WJ 4.0s have a different intake manifold (bolts right up to old ones) and they also have coil on plug ignition instead of a distributor design. Other than that there's some minor engine management tweaks but they're identical. WJs and ZJs both use the same 42re IIRC but some time during the WJ production they switched overdrive solenoids around so mixing and matching trannys may result in OD not engaging. Other than that same transmission.
When you say different intake manifold but bolts right up to old one, does that just mean its a different style?

Unread 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #3572
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94

When you say different intake manifold but bolts right up to old one, does that just mean its a different style?
Yupp the WJ ones are optimized and have much better flow, jeep claimed it pulled an extra 10hp and people modding their older 4.0s can benefit from the increased flow. It's overall just a smoother more rounded shape but everything is the same and it bolts right up to older 4.0s. I think the PS on the old ones bolts up to the intake I know there's some bracket swapping there but otherwise it's good.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #3573
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1

The ZJ 4.0 is very similar to the WJ 4.0. Different engine management, intake/exhaust manifolds, accessories, etc. But the fundamental architecture is the same.
Thanks man 😉
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #3574
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Edited the video, took out with all times I got out and walked around

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #3575
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the bump, I had meant to watch the vid but I was on my Droid at a family event and thought better of it.

4 tips:
1)Air down.
2)Disconnect that front sway bar, your dangling front tire on an open diff is doing you no favors.
3)Go easy on the skinny pedal when you have a wheel in the air spinning. That puts a lot of heat into the diff and is how you break axle shafts when you have a spinning tire and then the axle suddenly finds grip. Like what is happening at 3:28 or so, if you've got a wheel really spinning and you rock back on it, snapzor goes the axle shaft. When you get hung up like this, pick a different line, carry more momentum, or try #4.
4)Ride the brakes a bit with the left foot when you have a tire spinning. This is the "Poor Man's LSD", it helps distribute torque off the free-spinning side of the axle to the side that is currently frozen.

Follow #1 and #2 and you would probably make that obstacle on the first try.

And here's #5) - Wheel with a buddy. For oh so many reasons...the very least of which is having a cameraman.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #3576
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Thanks for the bump, I had meant to watch the vid but I was on my Droid at a family event and thought better of it.

4 tips:
1)Air down.
2)Disconnect that front sway bar, your dangling front tire on an open diff is doing you no favors.
3)Go easy on the skinny pedal when you have a wheel in the air spinning. That puts a lot of heat into the diff and is how you break axle shafts when you have a spinning tire and then the axle suddenly finds grip.
4)Ride the brakes a bit with the left foot when you have a tire spinning. This is the "Poor Man's LSD", it helps distribute torque off the free-spinning side of the axle to the side that is currently frozen.

Follow #1 and #2 and you would probably make that obstacle on the first try.

And here's #5) - Wheel with a buddy. For oh so many reasons...the very least of which is having a cameraman.
Haha, that was probably a good idea to spend some time with the Family!

I completely agree there man! It was not in the best situation to tackle the obstacles.
1) I was at 35 PSI and that did not help at all
2) For sure, was not getting any flex in the front!
3) When it hopped like that, I was not sure why, I was in 4-Low and I had BARELY touched the gas (since it was not idling up) when it started "hopping" I hit the brakes but 4 low geared it down or something and took it a second it stop... I put it back in "part-time" and that made it not "hop" Not sure why 4-low made it do that, maybe it was touchy on the gas??
4) Ah, did not think of that!
5) We were there with an entire club for a trip at least 25 people there. I was just playing around in one area while the rest were over at another part. If I got stuck etc, It would have taken about 5 minutes to walk and get someone. Our club has a strict policy of NOT wheeling alone.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #3577
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Edited the photo a little.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #3578
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

What, did you click the "increase ISO to 800" button?
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #3579
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Made the colors deeper. It was a cellphone picture so I did not much to work with! Wanted the colors to be more "real"

And thanks for the tips man!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #3580
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ah. And no problem!

Sometimes you have to hop it a little, just don't get a wheel up and hammer down the throttle. 4Lo makes it a little touchy but it's the way to go, especially if you have a silly NV247 like me. I prescribe using 4LO more often, especially across rocky terrain. Hallelujah he's cured! Even with my ZJ and the 4.0, it was 4LO all the time. Less stress on engine/trans, better speed control, locked diff.

I'm glad you had #5 taken care of, just couldn't tell from the video.
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #3581
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Ah. And no problem!

Sometimes you have to hop it a little, just don't get a wheel up and hammer down the throttle. 4Lo makes it a little touchy but it's the way to go, especially if you have a silly NV247 like me. I prescribe using 4LO more often, especially across rocky terrain. Hallelujah he's cured! Even with my ZJ and the 4.0, it was 4LO all the time. Less stress on engine/trans, better speed control, locked diff.

I'm glad you had #5 taken care of, just couldn't tell from the video.

Is the hop caused from 4 low and just being geared lower so the pedal is more sensitive? Or because torque is building up, then causing it to skid then build up again? If that makes any sense... But all I know is that 4low makes the gas super touchy (thanks to a physical throttle cable and not a drive-by-wire). Especially in the Rubicon in 4-low and 1st gear. 4:1 low and 4.36:1 first gear! Maybe you have a better exploitation why it "hops" around more in 4low.

I am working towards making my Jeep a "Selec-Drive" As for the 247 when you put in 4low it locks the t-case so there is no "delay" when the rear slips?

As for #5 If you go back a page and see the "full" video, some people come down and see what was going on. With a really funny comment too. I had edited out all the times I had gotten out and walked around, which also cut out the people coming down. If you listen you can hear metal on rock contact twice. Need more lift and bigger tires!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #3582
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Is the hop caused from 4 low and just being geared lower so the pedal is more sensitive? Or because torque is building up, then causing it to skid then build up again?
It is both of these things combined. The touchy gas pedal and the more-rapid application of torque to the wheels. Plus you get the effect where you hit the gas, the vehicle jerks, so you hit the gas again and it jerks worse. An old friend used to build circle track race cars for dirt tracks (he probably still does, haven't seen him in years). He came up with a way that the throttle springs hold the throttle open when the pedal is up, you push down to close the throttle. Said it was surprisingly intuitive to drive.

Yes, the 247 is locked in 4Lo, works like a charm. I used to think more about shifting between 4AT and 4LO until I made the mistake of entering something in 4AT that should have been 4LO and it got a little hairy. I really needed that low-range reduction and locked diff and there was nowhere to stop and shift, it was 1300 ft of elevation gain, quite steep, and all loose rock/rubble. Now I just set it in 4 LO at the trailhead and forget it.

Anyway, I'll go check out the original video. You did a great job with the edit, I couldn't tell it wasn't a continuous feed except for one point where the door is mysteriously open.
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #3583
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
It is both of these things combined. The touchy gas pedal and the more-rapid application of torque to the wheels. Plus you get the effect where you hit the gas, the vehicle jerks, so you hit the gas again and it jerks worse. An old friend used to build circle track race cars for dirt tracks (he probably still does, haven't seen him in years). He came up with a way that the throttle springs hold the throttle open when the pedal is up, you push down to close the throttle. Said it was surprisingly intuitive to drive.

Yes, the 247 is locked in 4Lo, works like a charm. I used to think more about shifting between 4AT and 4LO until I made the mistake of entering something in 4AT that should have been 4LO and it got a little hairy. I really needed that low-range reduction and locked diff and there was nowhere to stop and shift, it was 1300 ft of elevation gain, quite steep, and all loose rock/rubble. Now I just set it in 4 LO at the trailhead and forget it.

Anyway, I'll go check out the original video. You did a great job with the edit, I couldn't tell it wasn't a continuous feed except for one point where the door is mysteriously open.
Oh yeah, that has happened more in the other Jeep, because when it jerks, you hit the gas, jerk more, repeat. That is actually really interesting, would not have thought about that. So the more you let off the gas the more acceleration. The spring was probably a "light" spring otherwise your foot would get tired!

Okay I thought so, which makes it much more comfortable. That is the nice thing about the 242 having "part-time" that locks the t-case in high range. Then can also have 4hi "full-time" where I can use it on the road. The Jeep did pretty well on hill climbs with 4low actually.

I actually hap-hazardously edited it out! Hahaha. I figured that not everyone was interesting in seeing me try to figure out how to get up the rocks with out destroying the underneath of the Jeep and such. I did scrape the rear passenger LCA and bump the front passenger lca axle mount. Also ripped the mud flap off but that is no big thing.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #3584
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, watched the full vid, was good! Looks like a spotter would have come in handy. A couple little bonks are no big deal, it's going to take a lot more than that to really break anything. At least you got out there and got some trail time with the WJ. I'm trying to figure out how I want to spend my summer for wheeling. Most where I like to go is closed for snowmobiling, and we have a lot of new state regs this year that are probably going to mean a lot more closures. Plus having another kid in early June is not going to make it any easier. But I've got the itch (I think they have a cream for that) and want to get back out there. It just sucks when you only have one place to go.
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #3585
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thank you man. That was literally my first time taking the Jeep on some rocks like that. A spotter would have been helpful! Along with some Vari-Lock Axles, which with those, could have made it on the first attempt most likely. I kept slipping down into a hole, which caused the front to lift up like that. But, just a few scrapes no big deal. I was happy to get out there and wheel around, the best part was that the trail was open and no paint scratches! Ohh, man they keep closing more and more places to wheel I do not know what people are going to do. Fortunately, where we were the other day was private property. It is owned by a member of the club, so we had permission and such to be there. There are a few main rules to our club, don't wheel alone, don't wheel illegally, and don't be stupid.

The Jeep can be an escape for a day thought. I love being able to hop in and just get away for a little bit. Even if it is going to the store. Fortunately up here in the mountains, the club knows at least 5 people where they own land and have permission to wheel, along with some state controlled trails that are open for ORV's

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.