Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 238 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #3556
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

All the time we've spent talking about it... you could have had it installed by now.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #3557
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I'm out, I can't think straight. I'll wrap my brain around this some more and come back tomorrow.
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #3558
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
All the time we've spent talking about it... you could have had it installed by now.
I've had class and didn't have the time/tools at the moment. Saving it for the weekend. I picked up more hose today. Need to get a bottle or 2 of ATF tomorrow too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
I'm out, I can't think straight. I'll wrap my brain around this some more and come back tomorrow.
Same man, Ill look forward to your post tomorrow. Night.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #3559
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Auxiliary Transmission Cooler Install.

Well got it all done today!
Here are all the pictures and captions, here we go!

Figuring out how the heck I am getting the aux cooler in there!

Getting the hoses on the aux cooler.

Getting the Cooler in the Grille and routing the lines.

Side Shot. I did not want to use those radiator ties that go through the fins. I did not thing that was the best for them. So what I did was zip tie it basically bheind the grille. I added tonight the foam sticky pads on all metal on metal on contact so there is not scarping and rattling .

Fluid - I had my friend who is President of the Jeep club and smelled it and looked at it and said it was okay. Also went to two other AAP and had them look at it, they both said it was okay and that I should not worry.

Underneath. I found that that factory cooler OUTPUT line is opposite to what some of the diagrams were saying. The line with the BLACK hose half-way on it, was the exit for the factory cooler. I found this out by connecting some extra hose to that port (I had picked this one because it was cooler, ran it for a few minuets) then with that hose, I started it up and then put the Jeep in N for a split second and sure enough tons of fluid was spewing out! So that took care of that! My routing is as follows --> Feed from transmission, goes through the factory cooler, out the factory cooler, through the aux cooler and back to the transmission! The differences in 'feel' of temperature in the lines is immensely more then stock! The Aux cooler is doing its job very very well!

This is showing how I routed the lines over the power steering pump. They are not rubbing on anything and they are away from things that get very hot.

Showing the new lines connected to the stock ports. Everything is routed so there are NO tight bends.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #3560
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looks awesome meng. I like your routing better and am going to adjust mine to match yours. I'm going to go fix the diagrams tonight. I had a feeling the other line was the right one, hell it comes out of the torque converter area if you trace it, thats almost always indicative of a feed line not a return line. Switching mine tomorrow.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #3561
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

i added you on FB maaannngggggg
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #3562
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
looks awesome meng. I like your routing better and am going to adjust mine to match yours. I'm going to go fix the diagrams tonight. I had a feeling the other line was the right one, hell it comes out of the torque converter area if you trace it, thats almost always indicative of a feed line not a return line. Switching mine tomorrow.
Yup the line with the back flow/drain back valve on it was the Feed line from the transmission. So the line coming from the TQ converter is the feed line. Had a fun day getting soaked with ATF4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI View Post
i added you on FB maaannngggggg
I saw lol!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #3563
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Washed and Waxed!

Looks like I have a little issue too

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #3564
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Washed and Waxed!

Looks like I have a little issue too

And they say we only get that in the north east...
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #3565
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

Yup Had a fun day getting soaked with ATF4
lol!
Thumbsup man, good work!

A friend of mine bought a 98 ZJ with a 4.0 HO, do you know if that is the same engine/trans as in yours?
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #3566
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
And they say we only get that in the north east...
Yeah I am little disappointed because there was no way for water to sit there and get in there. I do not know how that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Thumbsup man, good work!

A friend of mine bought a 98 ZJ with a 4.0 HO, do you know if that is the same engine/trans as in yours?
Thanks man!! It was a little bit of a pain to install with some trial and error but I am glad I got it put in and helping out the transmission. I could not tell you much about a ZJ.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #3567
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Wheeling Copperhead. This was a member's private land where we were aloud to wheel on. So I took the WJ on a few little things. Tackled some rocks for the first time and it was interesting being stock. I had a good line coming down and made it with out any issue and didn't bump anything except the mud flaps. HOWEVER, coming back up was a little more "difficult" without a spotter. (Which I should have asked someone) I took it VERY easy on the Jeep to avoid any big bumps/collisions. Did pretty well for open/open and stock lift and tires. "Damage" included coming back up are as follow, dropped (well more like slid) the Jeep on the Passenger Rear LCA and upper mount. (can hear this in the video) Not bent, just scrapped, I think it will be okay. Hit the front passenger LCA mount, just the little flange bent, not bad at all. Backed up onto a rear mud flap and it was ripped off, NBD, put it back on (you can see it in the video) Cut a tiny edge of the front bumper, yay for plastic! Did not hit any rockers, diffs, or gas/t-case skid.

PICTURES (pictures are from going down, video will be going back up) Yay Soccer-mom'in

This was my first attempt at wheeling the WJ on the rocks. So don't make too much fun of me if I did it wrong...

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #3568
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Thumbsup man, good work!

The ZJ 4.0 is very similar to the WJ 4.0. Different engine management, intake/exhaust manifolds, accessories, etc. But the fundamental architecture is the same.
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #3569
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

WJ 4.0s have a different intake manifold (bolts right up to old ones) and they also have coil on plug ignition instead of a distributor design. Other than that there's some minor engine management tweaks but they're identical. WJs and ZJs both use the same 42re IIRC but some time during the WJ production they switched overdrive solenoids around so mixing and matching trannys may result in OD not engaging. Other than that same transmission.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #3570
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

ZJ's had the same POS trans? Bummer but, at least we are not the only ones.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.