Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 234 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #3496
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well had 5 people and going through the mountains and got to the restaurant and smelled something burning. Probably the transmission.

Edit: I we drove another 50 miles after I smelled it, We were on the highway. When we got to our next destination didn't smell anything. Went and checked the transmission fluid it was about 65-70% up from between the two "hot" dots. So fluid level was good. (Yea I had the engine running and in neutral). The fluid wasn't burnt and it was still nice and red. So I guess it will be fine.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #3497
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Check around your rear diff. During some long, heavily loaded trips I will get a little seepage from the rear diff at the pinion and right side axle seal. Stuff gets everywhere. Then it doesn't leak again for 6 months. But the gear oil sure smells awful. Hopefully its something benign like that.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #3498
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I just had my rear axle seals replaced. Would hope that isn't it! Will check the diff at the pinion as you suggested.

When I checked the fluid (transmission fluid) it seemed fine. For a color reference of what I saw. Refer to this here and my fluid color was the color of the first swatch of the "new fluid" if not slightly darker. But I would not consider it anywhere near the second color swatch. Are there supposed to be bubbles in the fluid? There were some tiny bubbles coming up on the dipstick when I was check the fluid level.

EDIT: Spent the last 90 minutes reading up on Transmission coolers. The FSM Claims that an Aux cooler is not needed. "DESCRIPTION: An internal high capacity/high efficiency cooler is used on all vehicles these coolers are an oil-to-coolant type which consists of plates mounted in the radiator outlet tank (Fig. 31). Because the internal oil cooler is so efficient, no auxiliary oil cooler is offered The cooler is not servicable seperatly from the radiator."

Yeah "So efficient"..... Also, what do they mean by oil-to-coolant???
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #3499
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I trust the FSM but their cooler is meant for whatever they define as normal use. Towing more than the rated capacity, or going up and down rough terrain, or even wheelin it, all break that normal use rating. Id still be looking at an aux cooler. Also with ATF+4 the color of the fluid is no longer a proper indication of the condition of the fluid, so the ol' mechanics tricks fail here. What can happen is the fluid can get hot enough to degrade its lubricative properties before it gets hot enough to burn the color of the red dye, which yes in ATF4 it's just a dye that makes it red.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #3500
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well darn. It looks like I really need to look for aux cooler, seriously this time after this happened. I've been looking at them on etrailer.com. They seem to be pretty decent. Ill post a link shortly to what I was looking at. Also ill have you look at it and see if I need any more parts too. This is the aux cooler I was looking at getting http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission...eid=2004753758

Crap on the trans fluid color. Aside from the guys in my club id have to take it to a dealer for a fluid/filter change.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #3501
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That'd be perfectly adequate, in fact the one I installed was the smaller $40 autozone one and I couldn't be happier with it. Definitely stick with that style plate and fin cooler though they're nice. I don't know how applicable my little pic tutorial will be for you but as you can tell it only took me a short while to figure out how to do mine

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #3502
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I am going to be towing literally every other day over the summer so this is probably a good investment. I am going to go order it. Did you need any extra fittings with yours? Think I need a bigger one or will that be fine? Did you need any other parts??

I am going to order:
Cooler
Barbs 1
Barbs 2 Do I need these?

From what I have been reading the oil "progression" will be: Hot oil from Trans, OEM Cooler, OEM Cooler out, to the Aux cooler, then back to the Trans. Shouldn't be too hard. I guess it is just adding an extension to the one line.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #3503
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yupp that looks like just about what you need. I'm not sure if the fittings are necessary because your tranny cooler line setup could be different than mine. Check out my pics from the install and check in the same spot under your Jeep next to the oil pan to see if it looks the same. Take a pic maybe. If it does then follow my tutorial exactly and skip the extra fittings. You will probably need another 5-6 ft of tranny cooler hose which you can grab at your local auto parts store just bring the same hose that comes with your cooler and be like "I want more of THIS"

Matt
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #3504
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I will get under there today at some point and check out the fittings and the lines and take some pictures. Which side is it going to be one. The driver's or the passenger side? So you did or did not need those set of barbs? From what it looked like on what you did, you just cut the rubber hose and put the trans cooler in at that point.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #3505
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's going to be in the drivers side, or at least it was on mine... On mine I found a point where two hard lines were connected by this piece of soft line and just completely removed the soft line, no cutting involved. Then I reused the barbs that were already on there from the factory for this soft line. So I basically "interrupted" this return line from the factory trans cooler with my aftermarket tranny cooler. More specifically the end coming from the factory cooler output went to the aftermarket cooler input then the output from the aftermarket cooler goes to the return line to the Trans (other end of the line I removed that goes back into the Trans)
image-3470392638.jpg  

Matt
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #3506
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

So for you that was actually pretty simple. With no cutting and no barbs. So is there a "factory" metal line coming out of the factory trans cooler, so you basically just stuck the rubber hose on it with a hose clamp. So then you did not have to use ANY of the little barbs? That would be really nice if mine is like that because not having to spend the extra money, and I am good with just putting a rubber hose on a metal line? Gonna go take some pictures!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #3507
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Okay guys this is what I found: (Matt, it seems to be the same setup as yours)

Lines coming from by the oil pan

those two lines meet these two at the bottom of the radiator

Next: this is where it appears the trans oil lines connect to the AC CONDENSER on the drivers side

Here is what looks to be the AC Lines that connect to the AC condenser on the passenger side

Then, slightly unrelated, I opened the trunk and got a shower of water from where that little wire is sticking out on the trunk hatch. that is the defroster power line. Came form inside the trim too... really odd

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #3508
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well I went ahead an ordered the transmission cooler. Bought this one here Dorale 8000 Series Yay actually bought something for the Jeep other then gas!

Start posting up some tips! Which line is the "cooler" return line... assuming that is going to be determined by which one feels cooler. Then how to secure it to the other radiators.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #3509
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I updated some of my pics to help you out....
-Get a drip tray underneath (wont be much that comes out) and slide the hose clamps off the barb underneath and pull this line. Tips: its gunna be stuck on there like hell so grabbing the ends with pliers and twisting them around a bit will help. I did that and used a flathead screwdriver and a lot of elbow grease and twisting to get em off. I guess if you have no remorse you could also just cut it off but then theres no turning back
(editing pic)
-Get your two pieces of hoses attached to the cooler outside the Jeep, tighten the hose clamps nice and tight

-Take off your grille, a couple hex screws on top and a couple in the slats
-You will probably need to "modify" your header panel to slip the cooler in there... honestly I didnt see the header panel grille slats as all needing to be perfectly strong and intact so with some big clippers I just snipped through one of the plastic supports and bent it outta the way while I slipped the cooler in. This pic shows where I ziptied the cooler to. I routed the hoses through a convenient little hole in the rubber fin (next to the radiator) towards the airbox

Then after thats all secure route the lines down towards the factory ones. For me I went over and in front of the steering box. If you decide to do this throw wire loom over the hose anywhere where it has the potential to chafe. Make sure moving parts wont hit it, etc etc.

Then use some more hose clamps (should be included with the kit) to hook up right to these lines. Trim any excess line you may have but make sure its not too tight and pulling too much on the lines.
(editing pic)
Its notable that I designated the top line coming out of the aftermarket cooler as my "output" and the bottom as "input" so any air bubbles get pushed up and out. Theoretically its not "bad" if you mixed them up but might as well do em like this. Now make sure everything is good and tight start up the Jeep in Neutral with the ebrake set and watch for leaks. After a couple minutes throw your grill back on and go for a test drive. Come back and check the tranny fluid and add as necessary.

Matt
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #3510
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

dont you have the towing package? ..i thought the towing package come with an oil cooler ...if not you got jipped!!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.