Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 229 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #3421
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I used a lot of that quik detailer. probably would not hurt to pick up some more...

Did you see the pics of the bumper?
yeah i just saw them ...i mean you could probably get that insert to fit ...you just gotta cut the notches out of your existing bumper and get some of those bumper push pins to hold the chrome insert on ..it would be a decent amount of work but in the end it would be worth it plus one of a kind

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #3422
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBoyWJ View Post
yeah i just saw them ...i mean you could probably get that insert to fit ...you just gotta cut the notches out of your existing bumper and get some of those bumper push pins to hold the chrome insert on ..it would be a decent amount of work but in the end it would be worth it plus one of a kind
Even with a ton of cutting and trimming the angle of the bumper is still different and the opening is different at well. I think it may be easier, cheaper, and less destructive, just to paint the silver part chrome.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #3423
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Even with a ton of cutting and trimming the angle of the bumper is still different and the opening is different at well. I think it may be easier, cheaper, and less destructive, just to paint the silver part chrome.
didnt notice the size was different ...so get to painting hah

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #3424
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBoyWJ View Post
didnt notice the size was different ...so get to painting hah
Is this the right stuff?? here

So apparently I need a base coat and need to sand it down butter smooth for it too look really good...
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #3425
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I guess I just want my Jeep to look like an overland haha..... Think I should basically keep how it looks now?
Nah, it looks great just how it is!

Remember... chrome don't get you home!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #3426
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Nah, it looks great just how it is!

Remember... chrome don't get you home!
So you like the current look here?

We were thinking about chroming the silver grille and bumper to match the lights. But, it really isnt THAT different...

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #3427
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, just like that. The silver is a little more subtle. I think the chrome would be too bright.
Unread 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #3428
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thanks Richard! I think I will keep it how it is. Was reading more about that chrome paint and prep was not looking like fun. Then that grille insert was more cash that I can spend on something better the a piece of ABS plastic.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #3429
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well something Jeep related... I have been reading around on JF and came to ask these two questions:

1. Should I ditch the TB Spacer... It was put on years ago before I had it. (I do not know if I have the bolts to put the TB on w/o the spacer.) Aside from not doing s***, is there any harm to leave it on?

2. I have been thinking about ditching the K&N filter (which I have not had an issue with, I like being able to blow it out with an air compressor and washing it, and then re-oiling.) Seems to save on waste... but any negative effects of this? Then just going to a non-reusable paper filter... Thoughts?

Thanks

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #3430
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

1. Its not doing any harm, you could pull it and sell it for half a tank of gas I guess.

2. I ran K&Ns for years. Then I found out just how awful they filter. Good paper filters are something like 18 times more effective on fine dust and have less performance loss as the filter loads up. I run Wix from O'Reillys. The Napa Gold are also Wix filters but with a different pleat pattern and filter media than the Wix-branded filters.
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #3431
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
1. Its not doing any harm, you could pull it and sell it for half a tank of gas I guess.

2. I ran K&Ns for years. Then I found out just how awful they filter. Good paper filters are something like 18 times more effective on fine dust and have less performance loss as the filter loads up. I run Wix from O'Reillys. The Napa Gold are also Wix filters but with a different pleat pattern and filter media than the Wix-branded filters.
1. Okay, that is good to hear at least. Someone said that is messing with the Transmission kickdown cable and Cruise Cable?? So I just wanted to make sure!

2. Basically it is letting more dust and fine particles into the engine... I bet when you mix that with the oil and makes a nice mess in the throttle body... I pulled my thottle body recently to clean it and it was nice and dirty... (Also ended up breaking the IAC while trying to clean it. Carbon was CAKED on that thing!)

I guess while we are on a topic of filters/intake. Dare I ask about a K&N intake tube with an Amsoil filter. Or is the stock Intake with a paper filter just fine for a DD. Then I have also wanted to do a high flow cat and a Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler with 2.5 inch pipe back from that instead of 2.25 inches. (I am 19 and I am slowly growing out of that "must have intake/exhaust sound!") But if it would make any difference with a more free flowing system. Thoughts?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #3432
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

As for the TB spacer - I think it was his install that was causing those issues. For him, rather than fix the issues, I recommended pulling the spacer. You would have known if your kickdown cable and cruise wasn't working. Might as well leave it alone if you don't have any symptoms.

For the air filter question...Check this out. It is a comparison sponsored by the Chevy Duramax guys comparing various filters. http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

They found that the Amsoil filter was one of the most restrictive and also was the quickest to reach maximum particle load, while also being less efficient at filtration than most paper filters.

Based on this test, I felt that the Wix paper filter had the most to offer. 99% efficiency, low restriction, high dirt capacity. The stock airbox does the job. My airbox was soaking wet after my last wheeling trip as well - an exposed cone could have easily ingested water. So that's my take on it. However, you are free to form your own opinion. FWIW, you are maturing to the "don't need the noise" stage about 10 years before I did. Best of luck, sir!
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #3433
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thank you for the info. I am away at college and don't have the bolts to take out the spacer. I have not had any problems with kickdown or cruise so it should be fine to leave then.

WOW Numbers don't lie. I read through most of that and just by looking at the graphs and charts, that basically says all that needs to be said! I could not believe that K&N and Amsoil performed as poorly as they did! I am currently pursuing an engineering career so maybe that has helped, we were dicussing in class a few weeks back about being able to take and receive constructive criticism! Where as others do not believe tests, data, or proof on with actual tests and results on paper, and then still swear by their K&N or such. Maybe because I can take other people's onions and advice without getting offended by it! But, with that being said, it is pretty hard to form any counter opinion for K&N as "a better performer" then the rest. Looks like I may be heading down to auto zone and picking up a wix filter... (or amazon prime!)

Yeahhh... 19, may still have to get that muffler/exhaust! It would sound so much better on a H.O., wanna trade?!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #3434
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah... it's compounded by the fact that we put our Jeeps in dirty, dusty, muddy, sandy places. I seriously doubt anyone has put on a K&N and watched their engine explode. But if it shortens the lifespan from 300k to 150k, it's not worth it for the couple hp you might pick up. I'll be forthright. I put a K&N panel in just about everything I owned from 1998 to 2009. Nothing kersploded. Then again, I wasn't keeping cars very long, I was following the Billzcat1 next-owner charity model for vehicle ownership. Never kept anything long enough to clean the K&N.

You can see that the Chevy engineers designed the OEM filter for maximum engine protection. 99.93% efficient? Amazing! However they gave up a bit in terms of restriction. That Amsoil filter just doesn't make much sense though. It's not terrible at filtration like the K&N is, but it is more restrictive than anything else without providing a boost in filtration efficiency. Where's the performance advantage there? Might as well stick with a generic paper filter.

Anyway, yeah people will stick to their guns, whatever they swear by, be it oil, filters, tires, lite beer, you name it. Gotta keep an open mind, and try to find an objective measurement you can use to prove your point.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #3435
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, just like that. The silver is a little more subtle. I think the chrome would be too bright.
I agree 150%... IMO you have a nice look going on there with the silver it is subtle and looks modern.... Chrome is out nowadays IMO look at any higher end BMW or Mercedes... notice anything? The chrome is very scarcely used if at all. Idk IMO its going to be too bright and being too close to your plastic laredo bumpers... well basically on them will make it look too intentionally blinged out.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.