Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 214 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #3196
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say the V8 WJs I'd expect 19-21 at most highway but they seem much less effected by factors such as hills and a small lift and tires I wonder why.. I6 *cough* underpowered *cough*

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #3197
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Ever since WJs came out the whole "having 4wd all the time gets worse mileage" went out the door because my 247 uses variable clutches so I'm almost always in rear wheel drive until it slips and then in fractions of a second its finding out which axle needs the power, and not a single electrical component involved... its pretty nice. I think its really in how and where you drive. I do the New York State Thruway which is pretty flat for the most part, when I went to PA to pick up my JK 18s it was really hilly. Also 63ish is the ideal mileage speed for WJs, start going faster and your Mileage is actually an exponential drop (due to wind resistance). Michael you're lucky to get what you do going 75ish, I think mine would be doing 18-19 but I guess stock it was doing exactly like yours. Dont remember mileage stats for my first stock highway drive in it. But no really its very much in the driver and using cruise control is a great help. As sad as it is your Jeep has a much more neutral driving approach (only give it an eeency bit of throttle as needed to accelerate in a stepping fashion) that is much easier on gas and makes sure you're not wasting
Completely agree, you really should not have any variation in MPG's based on whether you have the 242 or 247 Transfer case based on what was stated above!

Matt, I was going to ask you about your hills and such on the drive, then you answered it. I would think that the hills would not help the MPG's out. Having it flat is a whole lot easier to drive on then freaking hills.

For sure, increased speed = decreased miles per gallon. I think just shy of 19 mpg for weight, speed, hills, and a nasty head wind at times is very good. LOL, under-powered I6, I asked my mom if I could trade my Jeep in for a v8 tonight over dinner and her response was "are you on crazy? NO"

What do you mean by the neutral driving approach? As sad as it is? Not sure I get it.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #3198
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

ahh ya im a 80 guy on the highway. and thats the "screens" calculations. Also your lucky compcrasher, my everyday roads consist of mountains. haha Mountains and hills, gotta love the poconos.
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #3199
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Also I do agree, that sweet spot is 63 mph. I'm even pretty good if I'm at 65 mph.
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #3200
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJdan View Post
Im running stock tires and only get 18.9 highway by myself and thats going 55-60. I think a tune up is in the future.
Tune up can never hurt! Have you done anything recently to help it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
ahh ya im a 80 guy on the highway. and thats the "screens" calculations. Also your lucky compcrasher, my everyday roads consist of mountains. haha Mountains and hills, gotta love the poconos.
Yeahh the speed kills with the win resistance. I can't get more then 20 doing 80. My evic was about 0.5 mpg higher then my hand calculation.

I did a little test one time on flat ground and if I remember correctly It went something like this:
50 mph = 24-25
55 mph = 24
60 mph = 23-24
65 mph = 22-23
70 mph = 22
75 mph = 21
80 mph = 19-20

Those were based on the instant MPG reading on a cruise control on a flat road.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #3201
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Do you normally use instant mpg or average mpg while on a trip and around town??
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #3202
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Do you normally use instant mpg or average mpg while on a trip and around town??
They both run at the same time. Meaning, I can have it display "instant" and it will still be calculation "average" mpg in the background and I can just flip it back and forth. Not sure if that was what you were asking. So I use both essentially.

Usually around town I have it on instant just to see those single digits on accelerations!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #3203
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Well actually I was asking which one do you more oftenly use, but you also answered that in the post.

Looked at a used WK yesterday, couldn't deal with the idea of a 3.7L!
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #3204
Cnolenwj
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I can't seem to get more than 16-17 mpg highway in my 4.7 and about 13-14 city driving, and those are the numbers on a good day. Thinking of getting the superchips programmer to see if I can squeeze a few more mpgs. So you guys with the 4.0s do have one advantage especially with the cost of fuel these days. It's a dream of mine to see 20 one day

Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1195835/

North Texas Grands- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Grand Slam Texas- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...texas-1419143/

Grand Slam Texas Group- http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...00000454207551
Cnolenwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #3205
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'll trade you my 4.0 any day... Just let me know lol!

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #3206
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Well actually I was asking which one do you more oftenly use, but you also answered that in the post.

Looked at a used WK yesterday, couldn't deal with the idea of a 3.7L!
Well at least I answered your question! I would get a 4.7 WK at the minimum and a later WK at the least with the Higher HP 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnolenwj View Post
I can't seem to get more than 16-17 mpg highway in my 4.7 and about 13-14 city driving, and those are the numbers on a good day. Thinking of getting the superchips programmer to see if I can squeeze a few more mpgs. So you guys with the 4.0s do have one advantage especially with the cost of fuel these days. It's a dream of mine to see 20 one day
Lifted WJ MPG goes out the window with lift and tires man. If you do not correct your speed for mph and odometer reading... calculations will be way off!

Quote:
I'll trade you my 4.0 any day... Just let me know lol!
And yes. Me too!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #3207
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not joking when I say I'd trade my lifted 4.0 Wj With everything on it right now (bumpers, lift, bilsteins, etc) for a stock V8 WJ with similar miles on it. I'd keep my JK 18s though, those are hard to come by. If anyone sees this come find me hahaha. If I were to start over I'd probably get a v8, OMEs and bilsteins again (but get the 5150s), JKS trackbar and the such, and probably keep the stock bumpers for a while... And then eventually get one of those LSR incline front bumpers. Don't know what I'd do for the rear because I'd have to figure out the spare situation but this custom 4x4 fab bumper is pretty sharp

Matt
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #3208
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Comp:What does your lift exactly compose of? I know you said OME springs and 5100's, anything else?
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #3209
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94
Comp:What does your lift exactly compose of? I know you said OME springs and 5100's, anything else?
IRO extended links and that's about it. Rides like a dream

Matt
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #3210
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
IRO extended links and that's about it. Rides like a dream
Nice, I've been looking into the 2" BDS. Fatbobs actually has (2) 2"BDS sets of springs. one is 2 bucks more than the other. I wonder what the difference between the 2 are? I do like the 4" BDS but I don't think it would be as economical. Figure a 3/4" puck in the front to level her and some 5100's and I should be on my way. Prolly put some Backspacing on the steelies i have ready to put on and some 31"s. I'm contemplating a new SS...

got anything planned for yours snobrdr?

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.