Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 205 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 02-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #3061
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Would it throw a code? I haven't done the on-off key thing yet. Ill call the local Jeep dealer on Monday and see how much a TPS is. Maybe even ask them what they think about the situation...

Thankfully it isn't stalling out. Uh, just another thing to worry about.

At least the Jeep is smart enough to bring the idle up when steering, it will drop down when you start turning the wheel and then it will idle up. Then go back down.
no, based on how small that fluctuation is you're not going to throw a code. You might throw a code when its bad enough to cause the computer to think youre on the gas when you aren't and vice versa but that'll coincide with abnormally high idle and or stalling out.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #3062
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
no, based on how small that fluctuation is you're not going to throw a code. You might throw a code when its bad enough to cause the computer to think youre on the gas when you aren't and vice versa but that'll coincide with abnormally high idle and or stalling out.
I didn't think it would either.... oh well.

Quote:
you know.... does it do that right before it downshift from 2->1 or is it when you're already in 1 coming to a stop? It could also be this. And I'm totally going on a whim here.... you're traveling at a certain rate, there is a certain air pressure inside your engine bay.... then you come to a stop, just as you feel g-forces pulling you forward the air in the engine bay pulls forwards/against the intake. This creates a deficiency of air and thus your Jeep gets a very lightly noticeable amount of bog as the IAC adjusts. Again, this is completely against a whim but it seems like a very small dip so it could be it. If this is the case theres nothing you can do thatll fix it and its just the nature of a combustion engine lol.
Slowing down it will also downshift as you said, then the most noticeable is the 2 to 1 down shift, it will be coming down (to around 6-700rpms) then around 10 or less mph, you will feel it kick down to first, the rpms will go back up, then when it comes to a stop it will idle to 600. Then it will drop down lower to around 500. Once pretty much stopped and in First it will drop down to >500
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #3063
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If its any consulation the ZJ would drop to like 300rpm and its still going strong 80,000 miles later. Dont know if the problems are related but the ZJ would do it any time I came to a stop just as you described. Just to eliminate the tranny, try coming to a stop in neutral and see what happens

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #3064
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
If its any consulation the ZJ would drop to like 300rpm and its still going strong 80,000 miles later. Dont know if the problems are related but the ZJ would do it any time I came to a stop just as you described. Just to eliminate the tranny, try coming to a stop in neutral and see what happens
Yeah man that is at least somewhat reassuring. The fact that it JUST starting doing that after wheeling is interesting too

Ill give that a shot and see what it does when stopping in neutral. Not tonight though its FREEZING with some 60 mph gusts right now.

Lets see though, there are two options on how stopping in neutral can happen.
A. It does the exact same thing - No difference between in drive and neutral
B. It doesn't not idle down that low and?? - then maybe that'd lead to a transmission issue?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #3065
amremt408
1998 ZJ 

when i had an issue similar to this it was something with my transmission; i was also getting a jerking when turning. i added some lucas transmission stuff to it until i could change the fluid and filter. seemed to do the trick. check your tranny fluid if you haven't already, may be time for a filter and fluid change?

2004 WJ... OME HD coils, Bilsteins shocks, JKS adj track bar, MOOG SS, ADDCO rear sway bar with ext., Bridgestone REVO 265/70/17.
amremt408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #3066
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amremt408 View Post
when i had an issue similar to this it was something with my transmission; i was also getting a jerking when turning. i added some lucas transmission stuff to it until i could change the fluid and filter. seemed to do the trick. check your tranny fluid if you haven't already, may be time for a filter and fluid change?
Had a transmission filter and fluid filter change about 15 thousand miles ago. I did add some Lucas awhile back. I am actually not having any transmission problems.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #3067
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Had a transmission filter and fluid filter change about 15 thousand miles ago. I did add some Lucas awhile back. I am actually not having any transmission problems.
You lost me there, I along with the "other guy" thought you were?
Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #3068
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Sorry, I was thinking that my idle problem was more of a throttle body located problem over a transmission problem however,

Compcrasher had suggested that I test my problem while coming to stop in Neutral, instead of in drive, to see if it made any difference. Thus more then likely ruling OUT the problem being transmission related IF there was no difference. Since I have not yet tested this, I can not say the results. Although in the previous post, I had listed the two possible out comes. A and B.

Then when I said I am not having any transmission problems, that was unclear, I meant in general as it is not slipping or acting stupid like the 42re tends to do.

Sorry for the confusion. Hope that helped.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #3069
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lucas makes fluid more viscous and can increase heat and resistance in the torque converter. I wouldnt worry about the heat cus you have an aux cooler but the extra resistance could be what's bogging it down. Again, just a theory

Matt
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #3070
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Lucas makes fluid more viscous and can increase heat and resistance in the torque converter. I wouldnt worry about the heat cus you have an aux cooler but the extra resistance could be what's bogging it down. Again, just a theory
Matt, that has crossed my mind about 25x times since I have put it in... I dumped a lot in there too..

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #3071
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
I have heard of that and it makes perfect sense. But I know they do use it on a lot of trans that are going bad to hold them together. Kinda like you would with a thicker motor oil to hold it together. I would extremely suggest draining the old trans. oil out.

Why does everyone insist on mixing different oils and adding uneeded fluids?
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #3072
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
I have heard of that and it makes perfect sense. But I know they do use it on a lot of trans that are going bad to hold them together. Kinda like you would with a thicker motor oil to hold it together. I would extremely suggest draining the old trans. oil out.

Why does everyone insist on mixing different oils and adding uneeded fluids?
Alright, you kind of contradicted yourself unless you are suggestion that you should only use Lucas additive when your transmission is going to crap?

You suggest getting a fluid flush?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #3073
Ljohn221
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Alright here is something new that just started the other day. It is running well but and the normal idle is around 600. But when I come to a stop after driving it will idle down to 500 rpms or less. But if I were to tap the gas after I come to a stop it will idle back up to around 600.

Here was what has been done recently. With in the last 5-8K or so miles
[*]Fuel Filter[*]Mopar Engine Cleaner[*]IAC Motor (not a mopar one)[*]Cleaned the throttle body

Maybe this is a normal idle, but to me it feels like it is going to stall out... (although it has not) It also gets shaky(er) I do not know why it is doing this. I mean at least it still runs...

Here is a video

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInMF2xvdfw
Mine used to do that

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljohns-1999-wj-build-forum-1188750/#post11260881
Ljohn221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #3074
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Alright, you kind of contradicted yourself unless you are suggestion that you should only use Lucas additive when your transmission is going to crap?

You suggest getting a fluid flush?
Thats exactly what I am saying. Imho their should be no reason to throw these additives in unless recommended by manufacturer , or it's your last hope. And yes I suggest a flush. Goodluck. I'm curious to what is causing your problem...
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #3075
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljohn221

Mine used to do that
Did you ever find a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94

Thats exactly what I am saying. Imho their should be no reason to throw these additives in unless recommended by manufacturer , or it's your last hope. And yes I suggest a flush. Goodluck. I'm curious to what is causing your problem...
Okay. However, it had just started doing this and the fluid additive has been in there for a long long time before this started happening.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.