Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 199 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 01-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #2971
smunns

No Jeep has a Dana 35 front axle. It's a Dana 30, and the TJ Rubicon Dana 44 front axles are nothing more than a Dana 44 with Dana 30 outers.

smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #2972
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

I see what more information was added.

Front is a 35 and not a 30?? Sounds like me and WJ, with the parents refusing to let me lift it, Because Dad had such a slue of problems when the Rubi was lifted. Running Almost 3000 rpms at 70ish MPH!!! I DD'd the Rubicon for a whole year, and that first gear took off like a rocket launcher. The CRAWL on that thing is INSANE... 4.36:1 first gear 4:1 4low the 4.11:1 in the axle... So I am not 100% sure on how that gears down but, is that but those multiplied out is like 71.68:1 But that would be the reduction in the axle shaft technically, so I think I need to factor in the tire size thing. Matt, if you know how to do that, the tires are 245/75/16.

Agitated Pancake does some awesome work for sure. But, for me personally, it pains me too see a WJ that is beat to hell, haha. Again, does some awesome fab work.

I almost wish that six speed manual in the Rubi was a tiptronic Automatic with like like a sport mode where you can make it a manual while offroading but have it as an Automatic when DD'ing. Those Ratios would be killer if an auto and then a Locking Torque converter for my OD would be SWEET!
No it's a 30, I'm sleep deprived lol. And yeah his parents think it'll make it look too flashy and dangerous. Blah. The 6spd is nice but you do really turn revs on the highway with it and consequently get crap for mileage. Also it takes off but I always find you have to shift midway through turns without redlining it all the time which is really annoying.

I like agitated pancakes work but I'll agree it makes me cringe how relentless he is to go at any part of it with a sawzall, mainly because you don't really see many beater WJs around.

Tiptronic is cool and all but honestly If I had a wrangler it had to be standard, I would need a clutch and a stick, nothing beats tooling around in a standard shift wrangler with the top off in the summer

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #2973
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
No Jeep has a Dana 35 front axle. It's a Dana 30, and the TJ Rubicon Dana 44 front axles are nothing more than a Dana 44 with Dana 30 outers.
Okay. But what would be in TJ (non-rubicon) that would be a 30/35 or a 30/44... Then the rubicon is a 44/44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
No it's a 30, I'm sleep deprived lol. And yeah his parents think it'll make it look too flashy and dangerous. Blah. The 6spd is nice but you do really turn revs on the highway with it and consequently get crap for mileage. Also it takes off but I always find you have to shift midway through turns without redlining it all the time which is really annoying.

I like agitated pancakes work but I'll agree it makes me cringe how relentless he is to go at any part of it with a sawzall, mainly because you don't really see many beater WJs around.

Tiptronic is cool and all but honestly If I had a wrangler it had to be standard, I would need a clutch and a stick, nothing beats tooling around in a standard shift wrangler with the top off in the summer
My parents (Dad) doesn't want me spending more cash. =/ It is a box, that is heavy, what can you expect for the MPG's. I am talking dad into doing a Supercharger for it from RippModds. So it will *increase* the gas mileage...

Hahaha, I am glad someone agrees! I rarely see beater WJ's. You know what, there are a few older laredos that kinda beat. HOWEVER, this made me cry, there is an 04 Overland in the Resident Lot that a girl drives (because there is a tiara on the dash) and the poor thing is beat the HELL and BACK. Wanted to find that girl and slap her!

Oh the Rubicon with Me, my buddy, and two girls in the back, top down, on the beach, blasting music, nothing better!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #2974
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing better than driving mom and dads jeep around with girls and friends. :P I kid I kid

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #2975
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Nothing better than driving mom and dads jeep around with girls and friends. :P I kid I kid
So TECHNICALLY Speaking, the Rubicon is Dad's. But it now sits in a garage under a cover since it is no longer a DD. He has a E-Class Benz that is DD'd. But the WJ is 100% mine!

But yeah, it is a blast with the girls. They love the top down and the beach!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #2976
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

So my 4 channel amp is acting up. It will not work when it is cold until the interior starts to warm up. Then it will kick on. I am not sure if I have a frozen voice coil because it is cold or the amp has a lose connection or the amp has a bad soldering somewhere... Any ideas? I am going to have my audio guys figure it out (if it still persists) over spring break. But, any ideas in the mean time?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #2977
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
So my 4 channel amp is acting up. It will not work when it is cold until the interior starts to warm up. Then it will kick on. I am not sure if I have a frozen voice coil because it is cold or the amp has a lose connection or the amp has a bad soldering somewhere... Any ideas? I am going to have my audio guys figure it out (if it still persists) over spring break. But, any ideas in the mean time?
Frozen voice coil? No, that wont cause the amp to not power on. Are you positive the amp isnt powering on? If so I'm going for a ever so slightly bad connection although theoretically electrical resistance 'increases' with heat I've seen weird electrical quirks. For initial diagnosis I'd try and determine if its your amp or your headunit. would be worth checking the remote turn on wire at the amp for 12v when its cold, if you get less than that test at headunit, if still low its the headunit. If the wires giving 12v and the amp has good connection to power or ground and the amp physically isnt powering on (blue light in the center) then its internal circuitry inside the amp freezing up, IE like a small relay sticking as it gets frozen. You should also pull out the manual for the amp some of them have rated operating temps and will not turn on or operate properly when its really cold. If you're within operating temp of that MRP and its not powering on and everything else is fine, there is a defect on the board and you either need to have it warranty swapped or buy a new one, whichever applies

Matt
Unread 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #2978
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Frozen voice coil? No, that wont cause the amp to not power on. Are you positive the amp isnt powering on? If so I'm going for a ever so slightly bad connection although theoretically electrical resistance 'increases' with heat I've seen weird electrical quirks. For initial diagnosis I'd try and determine if its your amp or your headunit. would be worth checking the remote turn on wire at the amp for 12v when its cold, if you get less than that test at headunit, if still low its the headunit. If the wires giving 12v and the amp has good connection to power or ground and the amp physically isnt powering on (blue light in the center) then its internal circuitry inside the amp freezing up, IE like a small relay sticking as it gets frozen. You should also pull out the manual for the amp some of them have rated operating temps and will not turn on or operate properly when its really cold. If you're within operating temp of that MRP and its not powering on and everything else is fine, there is a defect on the board and you either need to have it warranty swapped or buy a new one, whichever applies
I need to see if the amp is actually turning on with the radio. There is a nice and convenient LED light on the face that comes on when it the amp is on. So if the amp is actually turning on with the radio (on the initial start up) then what would be causing the amp to not play the music when it is turned on?

The odd part is that the subs will be on as soon as it all turns on, but no door speaker sound (because the only amp that is having problems is the 4 channel amp. The sub amp works fine. So as of right now, when I get in for a cold start, the radio will come on, the sub amp will come on and start playing the bass line, but no sound out of any of the other speakers. I just tried looking up an operating temp range and could not find it. The model is the Alpine MRX F30

I was thinking that a speaker could be messed up (and that is what I meant by frozen) and throwing the amp in to "protect" mode IF the amp is powered on right away with the start of the car/radio.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #2979
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

I have to agree! Wranglers+Beach+Girls+Top Down=Total WIN!
Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #2980
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Well for me I have to substitute beach for river. But same ordeal. Unless I'm at the shore house then it's beach..
Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #2981
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
I have to agree! Wranglers+Beach+Girls+Top Down=Total WIN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
Well for me I have to substitute beach for river. But same ordeal. Unless I'm at the shore house then it's beach..
I love da beach! Rubicon is the best for the beach.

The WJ is okay on the beach but it open/open and I have to put it in 4Low in the soft stuff. At least I have a sunroof.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #2982
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ used to tear the sand up (not literally, you know what I mean), my WJ kinda just fishtails around a bit and bobs around like a whale in the sand then when you wanna move it spins for a couple seconds, sinks a bit, then goes. Its too heavy lol! I think a better set of tires will definitely help me out. Whats your plan for tires with those OMEs? I cant say I feel your pain with the Jeep modding stuff, my mom thinks it makes the Jeep look rugged and manly and my dad always wants to try helping with the wrenching because he used to work on cars as a kid. His knowledge is somewhat out of date lol.

Matt
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #2983
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
My XJ used to tear the sand up (not literally, you know what I mean), my WJ kinda just fishtails around a bit and bobs around like a whale in the sand then when you wanna move it spins for a couple seconds, sinks a bit, then goes. Its too heavy lol! I think a better set of tires will definitely help me out. Whats your plan for tires with those OMEs? I cant say I feel your pain with the Jeep modding stuff, my mom thinks it makes the Jeep look rugged and manly and my dad always wants to try helping with the wrenching because he used to work on cars as a kid. His knowledge is somewhat out of date lol.
The WJ on the beach is just so dang heavy, like you said. That is where the under powered takes into big play with the soft stuff. That is why I dump it in low and keep it under 20 mph. It has done well for open/open. How does an open diff work. It sends power to both sides until one side has less traction and it "slips" and sends all the power to the "free" wheel.

*Sigghhhhhh* As for the lift. I was planning on just bring the springs/track bar up with me after spring break and putting it on with my guys from the off road club who have tools and what not. I actually want to put JUST the springs on (I know that is probably not the best). Then, see how it rides, how much lift it has, (remember, I only have the B springs that net 2.75 inches, then add the kinda worn iso's). Then see how it rides. How far out the shocks are extended. Just a whole round out check of it all. Then if the lift isn't too noticeable I can probably keep it on. Dad knows that there are spacers all the way around. Granted they are only 3/4 inch spacers. He was just kinda like 'ohh'. I do need new shocks soon as well.

Summary: Plan on bringing up the springs and track bar up. Installing ONLY the springs and see how it rides. etc

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #2984
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oh, How am I doing here? Haha

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #2985
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wish I had an 04 cubby like yours... if you're not afraid to do some plastic trimming it looks soooo clean

also take a look at the Cobra 75 WX ST if you dont wanna mount a CB anywhere out in the open

Matt

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.