Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 194 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #2896
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

money you shoulda just spent on a nice set of long range offroad lights then upgraded them to 100w bulbs and wiring I used to think HIDs were the shiznit and then I decided that unless they come factory they're a pain in the butt and never work right. Also most HID setups from the factory now come with auto leveling systems to comply with regulations and so they dont blind oncoming drivers as they go over bumps and hills and such. What temperature bulb did you get for your fogs, if its 4500 or higher its useless for fog. Notice how some people have yellowish looking fog lights? its like that for a reason. Also did you get HID-ready housings? Otherwise the length difference of the bulb is gunna negate any optics that the factory fog lights had (as if the 04 switch to round style with clear lenses didnt do that already) and reflect off the fog into your eyes and blind other drivers.

Heres an example of 4300k HID fog lights in the rain, notice how useless they are?

Now in dry conditions

for things like fog lights you dont want lights that will die off with weather conditions

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #2897
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
money you shoulda just spent on a nice set of long range offroad lights then upgraded them to 100w bulbs and wiring I used to think HIDs were the shiznit and then I decided that unless they come factory they're a pain in the butt and never work right. Also most HID setups from the factory now come with auto leveling systems to comply with regulations and so they dont blind oncoming drivers as they go over bumps and hills and such. What temperature bulb did you get for your fogs, if its 4500 or higher its useless for fog. Notice how some people have yellowish looking fog lights? its like that for a reason. Also did you get HID-ready housings? Otherwise the length difference of the bulb is gunna negate any optics that the factory fog lights had (as if the 04 switch to round style with clear lenses didnt do that already) and reflect off the fog into your eyes and blind other drivers.
I had 100 watt street glow bulbs in there, and BOTH of them burnt out with in a week. They were really bright but are also ridiculously expensive for how long they last which is not very long.

I got 4300K for the color. They are the stock fog lights, but if they reflect/glare everywhere, I will get some projector style fog light housings. I have just had alot of luck with my HID is my projectors for low beams, and I was really happy with the light output. So I figured that I would give them a try in the fogs. So we shall see.

EDIT: Woah did not see those pictures before, (you must have a collection for everything). If they are bad, I will get some with lower color temperature or just get another set of 100w fog light bulbs.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #2898
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Got my Jeep back today from the Mechanic! Woohooo!

Tomorrow's List:
  1. Wash
  2. Wax
  3. Clean Windows
  4. Fill with windshield fluid
  5. Check the oil
  6. Change the Tires
  7. Check the Air Pressure
  8. Clean it out
  9. Vacuum
  10. WD-40 The bottom
  11. Get my mini tool kit together
  12. Install the HID's
  13. Check random stuff
  14. Zip Tie some loose ends on the rock lights
  15. Figure out how to put all my crap in the back to go back to Tech!!!

Should be a fun day!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #2899
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

1. This morning I went to start the Jeep up cold, and it cranked over with no problem and no hesitation. Move it to the garage (ran for about a minute) and the later go to start it (about 3 hours later) and had the hardest time starting it. Took 3 tries, it was like the battery was low... Is that just because the battery never had time to recharge after the initial start?

2. My 4.0 sounds like a diesel engine... this normal?

3. I need to get off whatever I am thinking sometimes. I need to realize that the Jeep 4.0 is not going to be as quiet or as smooth as a v8 engine or v6 engine from a newer type car. LOL

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #2900
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Here is what today's results are! She looks GOOD!

Two more rock light shots from underneath

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #2901
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

330 miles running 89 gas. Loaded down HEAVY, averaged 70-80 mph. Overhead Console read 17.8 mpg. By hand calculation 16.4 mpg. I do not know why the overhead is reading wrong... I was pushing it pretty good. Tonight is gonna be 18 degrees!

Also rolled 100,000 miles

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #2902
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You're lucky to get. 17mpg at 80. I got 18mpg with my 32s at 65. That's my limit, I get 22 right now at 65 you're just a speed demon with an underpowered engine. Doing 75+ there's some hills I have to downshift for but at 65 it will hold up against anything my drive threw at it, albeit close some times.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #2903
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
You're lucky to get. 17mpg at 80. I got 18mpg with my 32s at 65. That's my limit, I get 22 right now at 65 you're just a speed demon with an underpowered engine. Doing 75+ there's some hills I have to downshift for but at 65 it will hold up against anything my drive threw at it, albeit close some times.
Okay, I can admit to being heavy on the gas. However like we talked about before, my speed limits are 70mph for about 90% of the trip. Then traffic does 75-80, in the SLOW lane. So I keep pace. I have the "instant MPG" feature on the EVIC and when going up hills in OD it will drop as low as 10-11 mpg. Haha. There were only a few hills that a kickdown was necessary. Especially one hill, where everyone had to slow down!

Another part that didn't help as stated was the weight in the back, it was enough for me to notice the really crappy road handling and for it to be kinda sketchy at times. Probably had a good 400-500 pounds of cargo and then 2 people, so add another 400 haha.

I did a trip to PA and with just me in the Jeep and a single suitcase, the trip was night and day difference from the drive back to school. Averaged 18 or 19 in that trip doing 70's

On my trip to OBX, speed limits are 45-55 and I max at 60 and I can get about 22 mpg.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #2904
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Okay, I can admit to being heavy on the gas. However like we talked about before, my speed limits are 70mph for about 90% of the trip. Then traffic does 75-80, in the SLOW lane. So I keep pace. I have the "instant MPG" feature on the EVIC and when going up hills in OD it will drop as low as 10-11 mpg. Haha. There were only a few hills that a kickdown was necessary. Especially one hill, where everyone had to slow down!

Another part that didn't help as stated was the weight in the back, it was enough for me to notice the really crappy road handling and for it to be kinda sketchy at times. Probably had a good 400-500 pounds of cargo and then 2 people, so add another 400 haha.

I did a trip to PA and with just me in the Jeep and a single suitcase, the trip was night and day difference from the drive back to school. Averaged 18 or 19 in that trip doing 70's

On my trip to OBX, speed limits are 45-55 and I max at 60 and I can get about 22 mpg.
Yeah I noticed I overloaded the rear suspension with a ton of bags and two people in the back on the way up to school this time and even with the OMEs I think I screwed up my rake (big gas mileage killer) and I had to downshift a couple times where normally I never would have had to before so the weight distribution was all wrong. When I first came up for the year I got the best mileage and although my Jeep was loaded to the brim I was able to control where I packed the weight. Also how the heck does your EVIC have the insta-mpg feature thats something they were supposed to be decontented in like 02s and up! I doubt somebody swapped in a new computer either!

Matt
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #2905
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah I noticed I overloaded the rear suspension with a ton of bags and two people in the back on the way up to school this time and even with the OMEs I think I screwed up my rake (big gas mileage killer) and I had to downshift a couple times where normally I never would have had to before so the weight distribution was all wrong. When I first came up for the year I got the best mileage and although my Jeep was loaded to the brim I was able to control where I packed the weight. Also how the heck does your EVIC have the insta-mpg feature thats something they were supposed to be decontented in like 02s and up! I doubt somebody swapped in a new computer either!
Yeah my trunk was STUFFED! When I do get around to running the OME's I am gonna keep my 3/4 spacers in the rear to maintain the factory rake.

I have the Instant MPG feature because I did indeed swap out the consoles! I had a generic one that did not have homelink. I wanted homelink and I found one that had insta mpg instead of the lights on the homelink buttons!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #2906
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

My 03 has instant mpg

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #2907
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

Yeah my trunk was STUFFED! When I do get around to running the OME's I am gonna keep my 3/4 spacers in the rear to maintain the factory rake.

I have the Instant MPG feature because I did indeed swap out the consoles! I had a generic one that did not have homelink. I wanted homelink and I found one that had insta mpg instead of the lights on the homelink buttons!
Ah HAH! I knew it lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJ
My 03 has instant mpg
odd, my buddy's 03 limited does not have it, I shall further my research but I thought mid 02 they got rid of it, no clue why. Maybe it was too distracting. My buddy has a WK and it pops all the Evic stuff up in the odometer, much easier to use than the roof console.

Matt
Unread 01-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #2908
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86
Ah HAH! I knew it lol.

odd, my buddy's 03 limited does not have it, I shall further my research but I thought mid 02 they got rid of it, no clue why. Maybe it was too distracting. My buddy has a WK and it pops all the Evic stuff up in the odometer, much easier to use than the roof console.
Hahaha, you got me Matt! The cut off was 02/03 according to WJ Jeeps. It just depends. I am going to continue to snoop ebay for a console with TPMS.

Im not sure why it was deleted, it probably was distracting. I know mine is. Lol.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #2909
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

Hahaha, you got me Matt! The cut off was 02/03 according to WJ Jeeps. It just depends. I am going to continue to snoop ebay for a console with TPMS.

Im not sure why it was deleted, it probably was distracting. I know mine is. Lol.
Tpms will be hard to find... Even so then You need to find the sensors for each of the wheels, then I think there's a programming tool or something you need to program them, in addition to the starscan. IMO unless the sensors are already in your wheels, too much hassle FWIW. I have JK wheels with tpms in them, I wonder if the WJ tpms console can be programmed to accept jk senders...

Matt
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #2910
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Tpms will be hard to find... Even so then You need to find the sensors for each of the wheels, then I think there's a programming tool or something you need to program them, in addition to the starscan. IMO unless the sensors are already in your wheels, too much hassle FWIW. I have JK wheels with tpms in them, I wonder if the WJ tpms console can be programmed to accept jk senders...
I have been able to find 1 or 2. But I have also lost the insta mpg. My other set of rims has the TPMS in them. All 5 of them actually. So I am trying to find an 02 console with everything haha.

Do your JK rims have the sensors?

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.