Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 178 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #2656
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
yea only drain plug in WJ is for motor oil and rad.
if your going to offroad and can afford it get you diff covers before you change the oil.
You forgot about the transfer case Also the motors for the washer bottle might as well be drain plugs, they pop right out with a twist and a pull. Dont get me started on blinker fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Alright I will be doing the following over break for sure:
1. Diff Fluid with Mobil 1 Full synthetic 75w-140 (and probably some RTV)
2. Check the breaks, (if they are okay, wait to do fluid.)
3. Check the power steering fluid.
4. Get the A-arm ball joint replaced
5. Check out the TRE's (If needed will get MOOG)
6. Coolant drain (maybe)

What do you check on the valve cover? What is the PCV Valve?

The air filter and the rear pads were done with in that 10K miles too, I had forgotten.
1. Sweet, Mobil 1 is hella expensive I've never been let down by the higher end Valvoline line... just sayin lol.
3. In addition to checking PS fluid if mom has an old turkey baster she doesnt want anymore use it to suck out most of the fluid from the reservoir and refill to the proper line with fresh fluid. To a couple full lock to lock turns, repeat. Your fluid wont be perfect but a nice improvement and easy enough might as well.
4. Hah I love how you said "get" it replaced. If mine gives me trouble its off to the shop, no patience for that POS
5. I'd wait for the TREs unless you can perfectly measure the length/position of the old ones, otherwise you'll need an allignment before the lift. Do em right before the lift... hell do em during the lift, and get the allignment right after
6.I'm going to be doing that too, but going to probably switch over to the new Zerex G05... yours should already have G05 in it (clearish yellow colored)

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #2657
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86
1. Sweet, Mobil 1 is hella expensive I've never been let down by the higher end Valvoline line... just sayin lol.
3. In addition to checking PS fluid if mom has an old turkey baster she doesnt want anymore use it to suck out most of the fluid from the reservoir and refill to the proper line with fresh fluid. To a couple full lock to lock turns, repeat. Your fluid wont be perfect but a nice improvement and easy enough might as well.
4. Hah I love how you said "get" it replaced. If mine gives me trouble its off to the shop, no patience for that POS
5. I'd wait for the TREs unless you can perfectly measure the length/position of the old ones, otherwise you'll need an allignment before the lift. Do em right before the lift... hell do em during the lift, and get the allignment right after
6.I'm going to be doing that too, but going to probably switch over to the new Zerex G05... yours should already have G05 in it (clearish yellow colored)
1. Yeah mobile 1 is the ish. Dad asked what I wanted, so I told him. Ha
3. That isn't a bad idea will do!
4. Heck no! I ain't doing that a arm ball joint myself!
5. Count threads? I am still in the air on the lift on everything. Idk what condition the tre's are in. We shall see
6. My coolant is red?

Sent from my Droid 3 using JeepForum App
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #2658
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
1. Yeah mobile 1 is the ish. Dad asked what I wanted, so I told him. Ha
3. That isn't a bad idea will do!
4. Heck no! I ain't doing that a arm ball joint myself!
5. Count threads? I am still in the air on the lift on everything. Idk what condition the tre's are in. We shall see
6. My coolant is red?

1. If dads helping, just go with the flow
4. I kinda got the impression, I'm going to try, cut my knuckles a couple times, rage, snap a bolt, then give up and have it towed to the shop
5. That would work.... if the new TREs are the exact same profile at the end (length and everything) as the old ones. Like... exact. If you're upgrading to Moog greasables theres probably a good chance they'll be different.
6. Uhhhhh.... not sure what that is... I though factory fill for the later WJs is supposed to be Zerex G05. Just dont mix colors and avoid Prestone Dex-Clone and you oughta be fine

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #2659
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

1. EXACTLY!
4. My family friend mechanic who works at the Jeep dealer can take care of that.
5. I will asses the situation further if new tie rods are needed.
6. Okay now you are scaring the crap out of me... cause I have RED coolant and I do not know what was dumped in there the other month when Dad added some...

I need some more people in here to tell me if I am screwed or not.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #2660
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Made it back home from VT!

320 miles
Little over 4 hours.
Averaged about 70-75 mph. Doing 85 for a good while with a pack of cars on I-81
MPG for the trip from VT to home was 19.5, not bad for driving hard and winter blend of gas.
Have just under a 1/4 tank of gas left!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #2661
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not bad, but you haven't discovered what happens when you do 63 for the stretch.... Thats how I can pull 24-25. Plus you're almost guaranteed not to get a speeding ticket

Matt
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #2662
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Not bad, but you haven't discovered what happens when you do 63 for the stretch.... Thats how I can pull 24-25. Plus you're almost guaranteed not to get a speeding ticket
When I got on I-64 down Williamsburg, I was pulling 23 mpg at 70

I was going with traffic at all times. I don't want to be the one holding up traffic!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #2663
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
When I got on I-64 down Williamsburg, I was pulling 23 mpg at 70

I was going with traffic at all times. I don't want to be the one holding up traffic!
If you're within a couple mph of the speed limit you're not holding them up they're just speeding Trust me I went through that same moral dilemma and realized I'm allowed to pick one speed and sit in the right lane and do it, and if they complain thats what the passing lane is for. It does get somewhat problematic with trucks though as they end up doing 80+ down the hills but I just stay in the lane and hold the speed, I wont be pushed to break the speed limit. They end up passing me and then I end up passing them when they're doing 40 up the hills and its kind of weird but whatever. If you do 7 hours straight doing 80 in an i6 WJ you're gunna need to fill up twice and take breaks, I can cruise nice and relaxed and get outta the Jeep afterwards and feel like a million bucks without the gas light even coming on.

People always get all pissy and call me the grandma on the highway but my answer is that I will not allow myself to get another speeding ticket, even if it means cruising at the speed limit while others fly by. That and also due to my position if I get another speeding ticket I will either max out my insurance, loose my license, or face rediculous fees. Gotta love my state.

Matt
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #2664
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86

If you're within a couple mph of the speed limit you're not holding them up they're just speeding Trust me I went through that same moral dilemma and realized I'm allowed to pick one speed and sit in the right lane and do it, and if they complain thats what the passing lane is for. It does get somewhat problematic with trucks though as they end up doing 80+ down the hills but I just stay in the lane and hold the speed, I wont be pushed to break the speed limit. They end up passing me and then I end up passing them when they're doing 40 up the hills and its kind of weird but whatever. If you do 7 hours straight doing 80 in an i6 WJ you're gunna need to fill up twice and take breaks, I can cruise nice and relaxed and get outta the Jeep afterwards and feel like a million bucks without the gas light even coming on.

People always get all pissy and call me the grandma on the highway but my answer is that I will not allow myself to get another speeding ticket, even if it means cruising at the speed limit while others fly by. That and also due to my position if I get another speeding ticket I will either max out my insurance, loose my license, or face rediculous fees. Gotta love my state.
Well to be honest. I only do about 5 to 7 over on the highway. When it was 70 speed limit I was doing about 75 going with people. I really think that is reasonable. Im not gonna do 60 in a 70 mph zone haha. Got to be honest it feels great to be home!

Yikes, that's a crappy position, if I were to get pulled, id get in trouble but wouldn't be losing my license. I def don't like going over 80, because that is wreckless. And dont wanna deal with that mess. Again that's why I stick to 5 or 7 over.

Jeep def has more power at sea level too!
Stopped by Dad's work on the way home and talked to him about the jeep work and he was really chill about it. Saying he would get the mobile 1 oil and we can pull the diffs. And then I can have my family mechanic friend (who works a jeep dealer) check out the brakes, replace the rear a arm ball joint, check the tie rods, and check the power steering, and brake fluid.

He also mentioned about being interested in painting the cladding black, because he saw how well the silver worked out on the lower part of the bumper.

Edit: I need to see what's up with the coolant still.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #2665
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh, didnt know your limits were 70 over there, thats reasonable. Mine are 55 on most, 65 on the interstates. 75 in a 70 is reasonable.

Honestly I think your cladding looks fine the plastic texture works for it and yours isnt faded like some peoples'. The black might be too much of a contrast whereas the grey works with your paint.

Matt
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #2666
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Ahh, didnt know your limits were 70 over there, thats reasonable. Mine are 55 on most, 65 on the interstates. 75 in a 70 is reasonable.

Honestly I think your cladding looks fine the plastic texture works for it and yours isnt faded like some peoples'. The black might be too much of a contrast whereas the grey works with your paint.
Yes most speed limits on the highway that are not around any cities are 70. So that is why I was doing 75-78! haha

I guess I need to find someone who has done it with the Dark Blue (Midnight Blue Pearl) and then see how it looks. I am going to take (or planning) to take some trim pieces (the piece right above the license plate) and then get some color matched paint and then come clear coat and see how it looks. The limited has matching door handles etc and I want to see if I can replicate that with my very faded door handles etc.

I also would really like to either paint my bumpers/cladding to match or find limited cladding/bumpers and get them swapped on!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #2667
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes most speed limits on the highway that are not around any cities are 70. So that is why I was doing 75-78! haha

I guess I need to find someone who has done it with the Dark Blue (Midnight Blue Pearl) and then see how it looks. I am going to take (or planning) to take some trim pieces (the piece right above the license plate) and then get some color matched paint and then come clear coat and see how it looks. The limited has matching door handles etc and I want to see if I can replicate that with my very faded door handles etc.

I also would really like to either paint my bumpers/cladding to match or find limited cladding/bumpers and get them swapped on!
I vote second option! Limited cladding is awesome, but not having to worry about scratches and chips with the laredo cladding must be nice

Matt
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #2668
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I vote second option! Limited cladding is awesome, but not having to worry about scratches and chips with the laredo cladding must be nice
I think I am going to paint and clear coat: (in blue)
- Door handles
- Trunk Handle
- Piece of trim between the trunk and the rear side window
- Trim above the license plate.
- Am I forgetting anything?

And then I would love to find all limited cladding in the 04 style (only the 04 obvs)

Or if I can not find those bumper from a junkyard or something. I am going to paint all the cladding/bumpers in blue and clear coat. I am going to keep the mud flaps on which really really help with road rash and crap that gets kicked up.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #2669
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

damnnn speed limits are freaking high up there! haha.

welcome to Hilo, where speed limits don't exceed 55. hahahaha! :P
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #2670
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI View Post
damnnn speed limits are freaking high up there! haha.

welcome to Hilo, where speed limits don't exceed 55. hahahaha! :P
Heck yeah man! I love the 70 speed limits! There are some that are 75 on the east coast, have yet too see those. In VA anything over 80 is reckless (as the law stands now) Sooo going 6+ over in a 75 will get you an auto reckless driving. They may get raised again in some areas. We shall see.

What do you think about the cladding being painted black?

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.