Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 177 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #2641
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Is there not enough post thing to hold the spacer in place?

Sent from my Droid 3 using JeepForum App
i think with a 2" spacer and the coil isolator your at max restraint with spacers.

oh when you pop off your front springs be prepared for the lower coils isolator mount point to break. it happens to allot of people when taking off the springs.

straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #2642
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987

i think with a 2" spacer and the coil isolator your at max restraint with spacers.

oh when you pop off your front springs be prepared for the lower coils isolator mount point to break. it happens to allot of people when taking off the springs.
Gotcha man.

When I did the front spacers, the metal under the lower coil iso was actually in decent shape. I've seen some that have been completely rusted out.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #2643
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Okay, my dad is saying that you do not have to take the diff cover off to the change the oil. He says and thinks that there is a drain plug at the bottom of the diff in addition to the top plug where you fill it. Meaning we don't have to take off the diff cover...

Who is right here? I don't think that there is a drain plug on the 30/35.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #2644
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Okay, my dad is saying that you do not have to take the diff cover off to the change the oil. He says and thinks that there is a drain plug at the bottom of the diff in addition to the top plug where you fill it. Meaning we don't have to take off the diff cover...

My front 35 does not have that, it also an advantage to open it, so you Get to clean out gear and magnets, and also inspect/have a look at the gears.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #2645
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk

My front 35 does not have that, it also an advantage to open it, so you Get to clean out gear and magnets, and also inspect/have a look at the gears.
There is only dana 30's in the front if all the jeeps...

I didn't think there was drain plugs.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #2646
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Tell your dad hes wrong lol. Only way to get the fluid outta a 30/35 is pulling the cover or siphoning it out with a pump through the fill hole. I would advise pulling the cover so as tomohawk said you can inspect the diff, clean it out real nice, clean the magnet, and do a fresh coat of RTV on the cover (or a lubelocker if you're feeling fancy). PS, its gunna be messy and if it hasnt been done in a while its gunna smell lol.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #2647
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86

Tell your dad hes wrong lol. Only way to get the fluid outta a 30/35 is pulling the cover or siphoning it out with a pump through the fill hole. I would advise pulling the cover so as tomohawk said you can inspect the diff, clean it out real nice, clean the magnet, and do a fresh coat of RTV on the cover (or a lubelocker if you're feeling fancy). PS, its gunna be messy and if it hasnt been done in a while its gunna smell lol.
Haha yes! I didn't think that there was drain plugs. Alright, so pull it, clean it out, scrape rtv, redo rtv, bolt up, and refill.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #2648
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Haha yes! I didn't think that there was drain plugs. Alright, so pull it, clean it out, scrape rtv, redo rtv, bolt up, and refill.

Yeah, I usually have a can of brake cleaner on hand and spray the gunk off the cover and the inside of the diff, then make sure it dries out real nice and its clean. The second you crack that cover loose its going to waterfall down so be ready for it. Dont skimp on scraping the RTV and get a nice bead when you put it back on, do circles around the holes, etc. Like this, but usually I'd be a little more generous with the RTV.

And usually what I do is try and get the cover on right after I do the RTV, put it on straight dont let it slide around or you'll smear the bead, and bolt it up snug and then let it sit for 30min-hr before pouring the diff fluid in just in case some seeped in to the housing you want to let it stick and dry first.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #2649
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Yeah, I usually have a can of brake cleaner on hand and spray the gunk off the cover and the inside of the diff, then make sure it dries out real nice and its clean. The second you crack that cover loose its going to waterfall down so be ready for it. Dont skimp on scraping the RTV and get a nice bead when you put it back on, do circles around the holes, etc. Like this, but usually I'd be a little more generous with the RTV.
Alright man thanks, that looks good. Will do! There was a thread on the brake cleaner thing in the diffs. Some say yes and some say no... I don't think it is going to hurt anything ha.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #2650
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

100,000 Mile Service/Inspection

Well I am going to be coming up one the big 100,000.

What service/maintenance do you all think I should be looking to do?
In the last 10K miles this is what has been done/fixed/replaced:
  1. Transmission fluid/filter
  2. Spark Plugs
  3. Fuel Filter
  4. Throttle Body Cleaning
  5. Soon to be Diff Fluid

What I think that needs to be looked at:
  1. Front rotors, its been 50K miles
  2. front pads
  3. TRE's i think they may be orginial
  4. rear a arm ball joint i know is toast...
  5. anything else?
  6. coolant flush
  7. power steering fluid
  8. brake fluid

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #2651
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

There is only dana 30's in the front if all the jeeps...

I didn't think there was drain plugs.

You are right, my bad/mixup.

Other than that i Think Comp nailed it above, also you Will never Get all fluid and dirt out either with the siphone metode.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #2652
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
You are right, my bad/mixup.

Other than that i Think Comp nailed it above, also you Will never Get all fluid and dirt out either with the siphone metode.
No problem, the Dana 35 is in the rear with the 6's.

Yeah I will make sure that we pull the cover.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #2653
straty1987

yea only drain plug in WJ is for motor oil and rad.
if your going to offroad and can afford it get you diff covers before you change the oil.

Quote:
Well I am going to be coming up one the big 100,000.

What service/maintenance do you all think I should be looking to do?
In the last 10K miles this is what has been done/fixed/replaced:
  1. Transmission fluid/filter
  2. Spark Plugs
  3. Fuel Filter
  4. Throttle Body Cleaning
  5. Soon to be Diff Fluid

What I think that needs to be looked at:
  1. Front rotors, its been 50K miles
  2. front pads
  3. TRE's i think they may be orginial
  4. rear a arm ball joint i know is toast...
  5. anything else?
  6. coolant flush
  7. power steering fluid
  8. brake fluid
[*]Front rotors/front pads. if its driving go and the pad wear is even leave them. [*]TRE's. if your going to lift and get an alignment might aw well change them before you get a DW. moog greasable upgrade [*]rear a arm ball joint i know is toast. if its toast u need to fix that[*]coolant flush i wold not flush just drain out old fluid and pour in new fluid. might have build up n if you flush might case a leak. [*]power steering fluid. always a good to do . [*]brake fluid if you do the pads why not, but not a bad idea if you have the time

check the valve cover, PCV, air filter, rear pads. i think you covered most things
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #2654
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Alright I will be doing the following over break for sure:
1. Diff Fluid with Mobile 1 Full synthetic 75w-140 (and probably some RTV)
2. Check the breaks, (if they are okay, wait to do fluid.)
3. Check the power steering fluid.
4. Get the A-arm ball joint replaced
5. Check out the TRE's (If needed will get MOOG)
6. Coolant drain (maybe)

What do you check on the valve cover? What is the PCV Valve?

The air filter and the rear pads were done with in that 10K miles too, I had forgotten.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #2655
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sweet. Doin my diffs in a couple months when I get new covers

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.