Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread - Page 121 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Snobrdrkid's WJ Build Thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #1801
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Ok, i Will answer My own question. Ha ha ha

Posted by MWF:

There is a link between plenum length/volume and the powercurve of an engine, longer usually means better torque and shorter better top end power. So it can be beneficial on some engines to have longer and more complex systems.

On top of that you have the issue of turbulance vs laminar flow, some filters can create massive amounts of turbulence which in turn create dead spaces and vortexes in the induction system which actually reduce flow overall.
Ohhh. Well I don't know if anyone on Jeepforum has done that much extensive research/testing!

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #1802
WJHype
2001 WJ 

I'm sure the trusted companies that make cold air intakes do some sort of testing to guarantee that their products improve performance. Otherwise it would stupid and people would not buy them as often.
WJHype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #1803
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJHype View Post
I'm sure the trusted companies that make cold air intakes do some sort of testing to guarantee that their products improve performance. Otherwise it would stupid and people would not buy them as often.
Yea people like K&N would have to be doing something like that!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #1804
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJHype
Yes problebly,

Hmmmm, but dont you Think Chrysler did the exact same thing with their intake? Or do you Think they just threw the resonator box and everything in There to reduce torque, hp, and Performence, If they could make it Even better, more simple and cheaper?
Dont you Think Chrysler actually did put Even more into this vehicle specific intake Than KN That Are almost the same for all engines?
Dont you Think Chrysler used more engineers, time, testing and so on Than a small company like KN?

No offence just asking as i Think.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #1805
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Probably so... K&N did dyno runs and posted the numbers where the K&N CAI performs better

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #1806
WJHype
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Yes problebly,

Hmmmm, but dont you Think Chrysler did the exact same thing with their intake? Or do you Think they just threw the resonator box and everything in There to reduce torque, hp, and Performence, If they could make it Even better, more simple and cheaper?
Dont you Think Chrysler actually did put Even more into this vehicle specific intake Than KN That Are almost the same for all engines?
Dont you Think Chrysler used more engineers, time, testing and so on Than a small company like KN?

No offence just asking as i Think.
I understand where you are coming from. You could ask the same question for many other aspects of the Jeep too though. There is always going to be aftermarket products that will improve a car's performance.
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #1807
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I honestly think that is would be pretty cool to question Chrysler and K&N about this. Anyone want to call or email the two companies?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #1808
WJHype
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I honestly think that is would be pretty cool to question Chrysler and K&N about this. Anyone want to call or email the two companies?
I don't think they would bother to reply. If the K&N CIA dyno proves better performance then it's settled. K&N filters do bring in some dirt and dust into your throttle body though. The stock air box doesn't bring in hardly any dirt, dust, etc. that's probably why it comes that way from the factory. It's a safer choice.
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #1809
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJHype View Post
I don't think they would bother to reply. If the K&N CIA dyno proves better performance then it's settled. K&N filters do bring in some dirt and dust into your throttle body though. The stock air box doesn't bring in hardly any dirt, dust, etc. that's probably why it comes that way from the factory. It's a safer choice.
Dyno Pulls for the 4.0 http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-1526_dyno.pdf

Dyno for the 4.7 http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-1513_dyno.pdf

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #1810
straty1987

i dont know if you guys found this page on wjjeeps http://www.wjjeeps.com/fipk.htm and http://www.wjjeeps.com/performance.htm#47
mopar made a CAI like K&N did

The FIPK was designed to promote performance in fuel injected stock engines by creating air filtration with the least resistance in air flow.The benefit of low resistance air filters can be felt directly in throttle response. In addition to the filter, these kits have uniquely designed adapters

alos a reason for the box in the stock air set up is to keep the sound down.
the guy who made the Brian Stroud's RamIT cold air intake did a few track runs with his 4.7. stock, with K&N, K&N no shield, ramit and showed the resets. was on JU back in 05 i believe.

Chrysler will not have any info for you unless you talk to the designer and even then since it old Chrysler they might not touch the subject.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #1811
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Good info! Thanks! I have seem the WJ Jeeps info!

I didn't think anyone would really be willing to give out info ha

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #1812
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Good info! Thanks! I have seem the WJ Jeeps info!

I didn't think anyone would really be willing to give out info ha
^^^X2, good info. So the resonator is just for keeping the sound down, then it makes more sense.

Have you guys seen the Airaid hose from stock box to TB? That Way you can keep the stock box and still have the fresh air in from the grill and cut out the resonator box and length between the airfilter and TB.

Edit: i have noe Bern looking into the KN gen2 FIPK CAI, it seems like a pretty goodwill Way to Go. I may choose this route.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #1813
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
^^^X2, good info. So the resonator is just for keeping the sound down, then it makes more sense.

Have you guys seen the Airaid hose from stock box to TB? That Way you can keep the stock box and still have the fresh air in from the grill and cut out the resonator box and length between the airfilter and TB.

Edit: i have noe Bern looking into the KN gen2 FIPK CAI, it seems like a pretty goodwill Way to Go. I may choose this route.
If I do anything for my intake, its will be a KN Gen 2 FIPK CAI... (maybe with an amsoil 6x9 cone filter)

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #1814
straty1987

lol i have the K&N for the 4.7 and the ram it just never put it in, got a greate deal used under $150 for the 2 unites and a extra filter. I want to get the amsoil 9" cone filter and pre filter just its around $100 and keep buying other jeep things. keep saying when i clean the TB will put it on and never have. one good thing i can say about K&N is that you have a lifetime warranty and they wil nto go nuts asking question. i have revived new fi,lter from them since i said the one was worn and the metal mesh had a small notch.

stock K&N and 9" amsoil

this is what the K&N looks like on the 4.7 with a pre filter
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #1815
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Nice pictures thanks!

Many people say that K&N gums everything up... I had a throttle body cleaning done with about 50,000 miles on the K&N filter (Yea we have cleaned it and re-oiled many many times in those years) and the throttle body was not bad at all according to the mechanic who I trust. Personal friend who works at/on Jeeps.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
ome hd , OME lift kit , snobrdrkid , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.