Smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Smoke

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
briankeith1968

Smoke

One issue blueish smoke coming from tailpipe. not always but if I am at a stop and in idle is is more than if I am driving. Seems as though when the A.C. is running strong. Coolant level is unchanged and oil level is steady. ???

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Brian. in Coral Springs

briankeith1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Hello Brian from Coral Springs,

Keep an eye on your oil level it only take a small amount of oil to cause blue smoke. Try and look for the leak, probably the head gasket.

Amauri in San Diego

Last edited by CostcoPizza; 06-11-2010 at 06:01 PM..
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
briankeith1968

Give me a source to look and if so how much to repair and any alternatives. The smoke started after a new exhaust was put on maybe just cioincidence, But also the smell of the smoke has a sweet smell.

Brian in Coral Springs Florida
99 Grand Cherokee Limited
91,000 4.7 V-8
Unread 06-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeith1968 View Post
Give me a source to look and if so how much to repair and any alternatives. The smoke started after a new exhaust was put on maybe just cioincidence, But also the smell of the smoke has a sweet smell.

Brian in Coral Springs Florida
99 Grand Cherokee Limited
91,000 4.7 V-8
Black = running rich (carb/fuel inj.); blue = oil (rings, bad PCV valve, or valve seals); steam/sweet smell = antifreeze (head gasket or cooling system leak).

Do compression test of cylinders and pressure test of cooling system. That should give you a direction to head.

Can't estimate $$$ until you know what is wrong (could be $3 - $300).
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
briankeith1968

smoke

Thank you I will get those tests done and let you know the results..Hopefully it will be something minor and was able to catch in time... My jeep is too nice to me to be blowing smoke thru my neighborhood.

Thanks again.
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
Walt
2008 WK 

......unless you put in Seafoam. Kills the mosquitos.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.