Slappy's Build thread. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Slappy's Build thread.

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #76
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

well if its a long drive like for vacation the jeep will be getting drivin so i can have fun when i get there im an avid mtn bike rider so i love having my jeep with me to access those remote trails lol sorry for the thread jack

i cant wait to order this in feb then its time to save for gears and a locker in the rear

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #77
WyoZJ
1994 ZJ 

I hope I can make GSW this year

Front and rear Trailready bumpers, roof rack, IRO Rear long arms, and HD adjustable track bar for sale
WyoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #78
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

I need to start researching what lockers to get...

Was thinking a detroit for the back...and electric or air locker up front...decisions, decisions decisions....
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. ** IRO 7" Premium Long Arm Kit. ** IRO OTK Steering System. ** DT-8000 Shocks. ** JKS Quicker Discos. ** AE Wheels Series 185 Rims. ** Mickey Thompson 305/70/R16 Tires.

My build thread.
Slappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #79
Jones
Consider the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappyman View Post
I need to start researching what lockers to get...

Was thinking a detroit for the back...and electric or air locker up front...decisions, decisions decisions....
The only option you have for the rear is an Aussie Locker.
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #80
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

Serious? Like I said I havent done any research yet...nobody makes a locker for Dana 44?
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. ** IRO 7" Premium Long Arm Kit. ** IRO OTK Steering System. ** DT-8000 Shocks. ** JKS Quicker Discos. ** AE Wheels Series 185 Rims. ** Mickey Thompson 305/70/R16 Tires.

My build thread.
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #81
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
The only option you have for the rear is an Aussie Locker.
Which aussie price gouges the crap out of

Looks good man, it looks a little tall for the 33's IMO but if you ever decide on 35's down the line, you're setup for them

Quote:
Serious? Like I said I havent done any research yet...nobody makes a locker for Dana 44?
Yep. It's not a D44, it's a D44a or D44HD. It has an aluminum center section and only one locker is available which is the $400 aussie. You could always weld it but you will wear tires very fast on the pavement (not recommended at all for on-road really).
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #82
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

I doubt I will go 35's anytime soon...the thought of re-gearing isnt too appealing...

If I am going that far I am going to just throw better axles under it period.

My build thread.
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #83
Jones

Quote:
It's a D44a, way different than a D44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
Which aussie price gouges the crap out of

Yep, they're the only one's that sell a locker and they know it. All their other lockers are priced around $250 except the 44a.
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #84
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

Crappy well I was figuring 3-700+ for lockers anyway...prices always get jacked way up by the time it gets to Canada!! Grrrrr.......

Oh ya, I meant D44a

My build thread.
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #85
Jones

Oh and to lock the rear you have to replace the carrier with an open one. The limited slip carrier isn't compatible with an Aussie Locker. That means resetting the gears.
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #86
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

Can you guys recommend a good supplier for the Aussie Lockers??

What about for the front? Whats recommended?

My build thread.
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #87
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

So I pretty much need to replace the rear end anyways...oh happy days....

My build thread.
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #88
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Time for an 8.8 swap I think

And for the front, unless you swap in a 231 or 242, you're going to have to go with a selectable. You can't use a lunchbox locker with the 247 or 249 T case. Just throwing that out these because lunchbox lockers are 1/2 the price of a selectable.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #89
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

249-231 swap IS in the future!!

Crap...might have to save up for new axles

And take on a few more jobs to pay for it all!!

Why the heck cant I have cheap tastes? Like Ferraris or something that wont cost as much!! LOL!!

My build thread.
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #90
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

Weee! Had a good day today, no work so I had the day off, this meant a trip to the auto wrecker!

Got myself:
Front driveshaft
Front yoke(Ima have to get the transfer case yoke tho )
Gas tank skid plate! WOOHOO!!
Some tow hooks. Lots of Misc. stuff...screws, relays, clips, whatever we could grab
And a dash crash pad for my buddies ZJ.
All told $200 for everything.

You guys remember my buddy with the blue coveralls?

He looks at me after installing the skid plate and says "you're not gonna like me..."

Then he gets out his cutting tools!

No coveralls today, just a camo toque!!

Also did the front, but I havent gotten pix yet! Also we tightened the steering box, and centered the steering wheel. And there were a few clunks in the front end that we fixed. Found out the steering knuckle on the passenger side was rubbing the rim at full lock to the left....sigh...my rim is screwed. Still works as a spare at least...but still...Glad they arent high dollar rims! :O

Do NOT like the heim joints used in the drag link...too much SLOP in it! So thats gotta be a future upgrade yet! All in all, a heck of a productive day!!

My build thread.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.