Its been almost a year now since I picked up my silver 98 5.9 limited. Its taken me a long time to be able to do any work on it because of my lack of workspace (living in the city) and lack of another dd. I didn't do a whole lot with my previous jeep but the muddy gorilla does have a short build thread
Well now I have both of those things and I am ready and rearin to work! So first Ill start with my grand plans, more or less in order.
- hp30 swap from a 96+ cherokee
- ford 8.8 swap into rear, both 4.56 gears.
- 5spd transmission swap, I'm pretty well decided on a terminator ax15
- Will need to add some flat shorty headers to this list
- Planning on fitting 35x12.5 shoes over some 17 inch black wheels
- Fender flares to stay street legal in MN and add some pizzaz
- IRO hack and tap SYE and custom length rear drive shaft
Last on my list would be lockers, steel bumpers, and engine upgrades.
I've already started the work, starting with new 4.5" springs and bilstien shocks. The previous owner told me that he used to have 6" or 7" of lift but decided to cut the springs down to shorten it for some reason... which made it sit uneven.
Anywho, the good news is though it already has long arms on it, so thats a great place to start. So, short list of things it already has or I have to install:
- IRO Front Long arm kit, rear adjustable arms
- IRO 4.5" coils
- Bilstein 5125 series shocks
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap
- Kolak 3" exhaust w/flowmaster 70
Currently my jeep is sitting with the front suspension dismantled.
[EDIT] So I decided to put all the links for information here in my original post.
WJ brake upgrade. This is good because the other links I found did a bunch of steering modification too, which I want to avoid for now.
Transmission and bellhousing fitment info for swaps
This is the defacto place to get zj manual swap information:
Thanks to murdajs for sharing a good link of the xj pedal modded to fit a zj