Shift on the fly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Shift on the fly

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
robleggett

Shift on the fly

Can anyone tell me why they stopped making the Grand Cherokee with shift on the fly 4 wheel drive? I have a 2004 and stopped the other day to check out trading it in on a new one, I see the 4 wheel drive sticker on the rear, but could not see any shift lever in the cab??? I asked the salesmen and he says they dont have it anymore, this is crazy.

robleggett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What is your definition of shift on the Fly. I associate just about all 4x4s as shift on the fly because you no longer need to get out of the vehicle and manually lock in the Hubs. Shift on the fly all started for jeep with the YJ I think. all my CJs 5 and 7's had Warn locking Hubs. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Manufacture out there without shift on the fly. or Are you trying to say that there is no longer an option for anything but a fixed 4x4 setting for the jeep with no 4 low selection or 2wd position, thus making it AWD.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
robleggett

Are you trying to say that there is no longer an option for anything but a fixed 4x4 setting for the jeep with no 4 low selection or 2wd position, thus making it AWD.

Thats exactly what Im saying. I dont do much off roading, but I do use my 4 WD lots in the winter and I loved the option of putting it in 4 WD low, I hate the idea of AWD. What were they thinking and do you think they will ever bring it back???
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
GhostKnife

i have AWD with the option of 4 low lol
GhostKnife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Oh no, here we go with the AWD V.S Full time 4x4 controversy again. I will Pass on this one.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

The new Grands can be optioned with a t-case that has 4lo (although it's electronic shift, AFAIK). However, they are all full-time 4wd. You can't get selec-trac anymore, as soccer moms don't like pulling levers, and Jeep thinks nobody else buys Grand Cherokees.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
robleggett

Thanks guys for the replies. This has made me very unhappy, I have been driving a jeep for over 20 yrs and I think this is going to make me start looking at other vehicles for my next one.

Have they never heard of the saying " If its not broke, dont fix it
"
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

There are 2 solutions keeping you within the Jeep family: either buy a Wrangler, which isn't full time 4wd (not sure if the new Libertys are or not, they might have Selec-trac), or stick with older Jeeps.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Earlier, gear driven transfercases are the ones you need to stop to engage. Even with lockouts already engaged, you can shift on the fly with chain driven cases and need to stop for gear driven.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.