Progress. Rear suspension is IN. Somehow I seem to have ended up with a couple extra inches of lift which renders my shocks, bump stops, and limit straps useless. I figured rotating the spring perches would have made a little difference but not that much. Hmmm.
I've broken a couple OEM engine mounts over the past 3 seasons and both times the fan blade shattered the shroud which in turn sheared the fan blade clean off. Hopefully these poly engine mounts from Ironman 4x4 will solve the problem.
Swapped in my built NP231:
Steering box, pitman arm, and linkage is all bolted up:
Brakes are mostly done. Proportioning valve and lines to the rear and drivers front are in. Still need to run the line to the passenger front (which is a NIGHTMARE):
Exhaust is in. Still need to add a hanger in front of the rear axle. The factory setup does not have one but its absolutely necessary for off-road use:
Even got myself a fancy exhaust tip:
Ocean State Jeepsters next camp-n-wheel is now less than two weeks away and its looking like I will be trail ready in time. Still to do includes:
Finish plumbing the brakes and bleed the system
Bolt in driveshafts & steering stabilizer
Add fluid to the diffs
Install cold air intake
Replace battery terminals and wire up the winch
Install rear shocks and limit straps
The above are the must-do items. If time permits I will also:
Have not even started the engine yet. Tell me more. Vibration?
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The 4.0's apparently suffered from OEM production differences in the unibody, which caused line up issues for the mounts on the body side. There's a thread on Mallcrawlin about it in the vendor's section.
Jeeps looks good. Where are you guys wheeling?
Think Twice Garage
"Yeah, that might work, pass me the grinder..."
94ZJ AX15/HP44/8.8/5.13's/35'' MTZ's SOLD
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon... www.undergroundjeeps.net
At first I was getting the click-click-click when I tried to start it. Tried jumping without success. Charged the battery overnight and still nothing. Hooked the battery directly to my winch. Nothing. Its a one year old Diehard Gold. Sears tested the battery and came clean with a replacement. Started the engine up and after about a minute it starts smoking and screeching. Forgot to fill the steering system. Ooops. Hope its OK.
Finished bleeding the brakes, installed the rear limit straps:
Toe is way off so in about 10 miles I peeled a bunch of rubber off the front tires. Otherwise, so far so good. No leaks from the brakes, diffs, or t-case.
There is a rather annoying rattle coming from the front. Sounds like the fan shroud or something in the grille or header panel. Might be somehow related to the poly motor mounts. Speaking of which, they do not transfer nearly as much vibration as I expected. I like.
Still some details left to work out before the camp-n-wheel this weekend. Adjust the toe, rehab then bolt in the front driveshaft, replace liftgate supports, add one more hanger to the exhaust, install new head unit and cb, make the belly skid (if the steel ever shows up), wash, wax, and Armor All.