SAR ZJ build thread- yota axles, clayton long arms 5 speed and more - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > SAR ZJ build thread- yota axles, clayton long arms 5 speed and more

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #16
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

The trip to barret really showed that I need to separate the camping stuff from the tools and stuff. Plus really need to get motivated on the rear bumper

Funny thing is that my son wants to sleep on the roof rack with his tent.

All of us locals need to go hang out at prairie city

1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
sdmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #17
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I'd be down for a Prairie City day. It's become much more entertaining in the last year or two, and you can have a good time with a 4x4 nowadays.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Ok todays weird issue of the day. I have a small jump I do on my place. Basically a big ditch. I hit it a little harder today .. Got the front end to unload completely. and the stock sway bar swung down and around! Getting stuck down and bending the right link.
Need to measure it out tomorrow and see if I can make the links longer. Would love to go to anti rock sway bar. Just can't afford it.
Glad it happened now and not on the trail.
1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Ok went to praire city for a atv training class. I added a trailer wiring kit to the jeep. Then redid the hitch, added a ball.

Hooked up the trailer and atv and drove down to the park.

On the way back I blew a heater hose and almost lost the motor. As I was going up the hill smoke started coming up,out of he tunnel! About a mile from exit so limped off the freeway with smoke now coming out of hood. Sheesh this sucks.
Popped the hood and hot antifreeze everywhere.
So cut the stupid hose off, popped off the lower heater hose and routed it together. Then poured in 2 gallons of water while praying the head doesn't pop.

Didn't pop and got it home. Need to set some money aside for a 99 intake.
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

quick video of my using the jeep to pull a tree branch off

https://plus.google.com/photos/11339...CN2n0JClwPLiJw
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #21
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Ok going to check out trading my 33's for a pair od 35 maxis bighorns. Supposed to be almost new on 6 bolt rims like mine.

I checked out reviews of the tire and they were pretty good. Pretty stoked .. About a 4 hour drive round trip coming up.
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Guy flaked ! Bummer going to try hitting him later this week.

In prep put my street tires on the jeep. Then took my spare tire off the roof rack and took the roof rack off. Didn't get a chance to drive it as I went onto other projects.

Also topped off all my fluids just to make sure everything is ready to go.
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

A pic of jeep with street tires
image-337111721.jpg

Unread 12-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #24
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Got the tires! They are in fantastic shape. I even got the guy to though in the rims that are with the tires. Just need to give him some 6 bolt rollers.
These things are going to be great in the snow! Will post pics tmmw

Plus I got 19mpg with the street tires.
image-2418054637.jpg

image-1960128003.jpg

Unread 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Pictures

Went and flexed it out . Rear has lots of flex and space. Rubbing a little bit in front and need to do a bit of cutting. Maybe even look at moving axle forward a inch or so to fix the rubbing on the back of the fender well under full flex.
image-2557681646.jpg

image-2029570395.jpg

image-2162996210.jpg

image-4038616370.jpg

Unread 12-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Finally got to drive the jeep on the road today. Really not much difference over the 33's. little nosier but not bad at all. The sidewall flex was not as bad as the mtr's. also power up hills was not that bad either.

Today was honey do list so no fender cutting today. Maybe later this week.
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

pictures from flex testing

rear tires stuff with no issues

plenty of room at front of tire

front droop

Need to do some cutting at front of tire under full stuff in the front
Unread 01-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #28
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

So bought new tie rod and drag link stuff. Bought the 1.5 I ch tune with .25 thick wall, 60 inches for drag link and 30 inch for tie road weld on threads, high angle drag link to Pittman arm.
I didn't buy the 1 ton TRE ends as I am concerned that the height of the tie rod ends will make the tie rod hit my panhard bar mount. It may still hit but I need to mock it up first. It it hits it hits and I might just do the TRE.

Also going to move the axle forward to see how far I can get it. I actually called clayton and talked to them about my suspension. I talked to the other owner , not clayton, and he thinks I have one of the first run of the clayton long arms. Basically they used to make the joint by welding fine thread all rod to the joint and hem using a massive 1.25 inch long nylon lock nut. The all rod would be about 6-7 inch long, so I might have enough to move the axle forward a inch or so. To be safe I will mark the all thread with stock position unwind it all the way out to measure it and then thread it all the way back in.

I will need to to,do this first before I can mock up my steering fixes.

Currently cleaning up my shop of the last year of projects first and then I can move my jeep into the shop which has a higher ceiling than my garage.

I also stopped by and looked at 5.9 Andy's 1998 1 Ton, hmm. However, I would need to sell my jeep first and the market is soft for built 4x4 zj's in California.
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #29
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Well shop is almost cleaned out. Traded all my ford ranger stuff to a buddy for a sm420 and bellhousing, flywheel, for my landcruiser. A sm420 will bolt up to my landcruiser transfer case with one adapter. Pretty cool

So added more shelf space to my garage and getting rid of more old projects. Even got rid of a go kart project that I was going to do for my son. We both decided to focus on the farm truck for him. Basically he needs to so all the body work and we will paint it.

So hopefully tomorrow I will get into the shop,with the jeep and lengthen the long arms.
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #30
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Shop all cleaned out. Got a sm420 from a buddy in exchange for all my ford ranger stuff plus my chevy 208'so he can make a doubler.

Finally got my jeep in the garage. Dropped the drivers side arm down with some help from a crow bar. After jack stands of course.
The big nylock nut is big! Had to grab a pipe wrench as nothing else was big enough. Broke both sides loose by only half turn so I know how far out I did it. Then tried to crack the pivot bolt. No go both hands on pipe wrench with feet against arm pulling hard. So need to bring the heat. Need to get the torch it with a big breaker bar.

I pulled the top arm off as I could feel slop in top joint, like 1/4 inch! So pulled that off. The top rubber joint is shot. Need to figure out what to replace it with. Same with lower rubber link on bottom of arm

Also pulled console apart as was getting exhaust leak into cab. Looks like I have two air leaks, one at my mounting plate and one at the rubber shifter boot. Mounting plate is easy, rubber mount not so easy. Need to see if I can make my existing one better maybe by making a new plate that is metal with a smaller hole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.