SAR ZJ build thread- yota axles, clayton long arms 5 speed and more - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > SAR ZJ build thread- yota axles, clayton long arms 5 speed and more

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

SAR ZJ build thread- yota axles, clayton long arms 5 speed and more

Bringing my thread over for the rest of you guys from nagac

Bought this 93 with most of it already built -I bought this as I do Search and Rescue in El Dorado County with the OHV group. I needed a capable vehicle that can carry me, 150lbs of gear and rescue 1-3 people from wherever. Our territory includes Rubicon trail, Barret Jeep Trail, Strawberry trail and many more beautiful challenging trails

Specs when i bought it
1993 ZJ 4.0 6, auto , np231or rubicon transfer case 4-1 low, 33" BFG MTRs, tacoma rear axle with ARB locker, Rear Clayton based long Arm 4 link using Johnny Joints, Remote resivor Bilsteins 7100 in the rear, Front axle is a complete custom job from WelderBill- Yota center section, 3" heavy wall axle tubes, D44 3/4 outers 6 bolt in front 4.88's front and rear Open front. Clayton long arm based in front, Fabtech front shocks 2.5 dirtlogic - top mounts moved up.
Front receiver mount for winch and wired up
Custom desert fenders in front
angle iron rocker guards
4 point roll bar that is going to be changed
cb radio - ham radio will be coming soon

In the last 2 years
Added Prothane motor mounts
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....3&postcount=96

swapped to NV3550 after finding a 93 5speed grand Cherokee and swapping everything
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=118

Added Ham Radio
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=119

Custom Interior rollbar - still need to add cross bars
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....2&postcount=35

custom brake setup NO ABS - chevy Master cylinder, brake proportioning valve - rebuild of master cylinder, new 3/4 chevy loaded front calipers
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=140

AutoZone AGM battery
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=153

21 fuses replaced, 3 turn signal lights replaced chasing turn signals not working
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=157

replace arb solenoid with $3 5 pole relay
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=165

custom rear axle breather routed up to gas filler
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=168

Made my own exhaust hanger to tranny mount
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=178

1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
sdmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

me like

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Looks good. Got any more pics of the cage?
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

In the build thread I have a couple of pictures. basically tucked it up against the sides. It needs a couple more bars to make some x's. Also need to build in a rear shelf. My work is slowing up a little so bit have more time to work on it.

Built a roof rack today using a bed frame and two ATV hitch luggage carriers. Came out pretty good.
1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Also removed my stock radiator overflow tank and replaced it with a smaller one. Put it next to the air box.
The stock tank did not fit right after the big shocks were moved up into the engine department
Have to resize pictures as they are to big to post from phone
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

All of these stuff is because I am getting ready tmmw morning to go to Barrett lake jeep trail on a trail clean up. Barret is one of my favorite trails.
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

roof rack pictures

pics of roof rack

Unread 07-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

replaced radiator overflow tank

Unread 07-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

ok had a good but tiring trip

bertha - wifes name for jeep- worked great. big ol marshmallow going over rocks. My steering stabilizer fell victim to a wayward rock on the way in. bent it into a curve. plus it loosened my steering at the same time.

You dont think a zj is wide until you do Barret lake Jeep trail with a roof rack on.

Actually end up coming back out instead of staying overnight. One of the guys in my party broke both ball joints and drivers side drive shaft. It happened right in Rock Garden so he was blocking the trail. some of our party went ahead to the lake. Luckily the finance of one of our party had the ball joints and we got another person raised on the Ham radio to stop by the broken partys house and then run the parts up to us. So jim broke at 2pm and we got him fixed by 9pm.

at that point we were still 3 miles from the lake and the other guys who went into the lake said the trail just got rougher. So choice was camp for the night were we at, drive in during the dark or turn around and go home .

with jim running a suspect used drive shaft, our other person having engine issues and not being able to idle down and me just being beat up. Plus I was only planning on doing a two day trip not three day. So I would be doing a one day trip into the lake and back in one day. so we decided to go back out.

It was a long run out - much tougher to do the trail in the dark when you really tired and dont have enough lights.

At one point I misjudged a tight fit between trees and took a tree root to my front tire. bending the rim and flattening the tire.
in the end I just put my spare tire on.

Next time I will just camp out instead of doing a night run.

need to go through rear of vechile as something is clanking .

only picture that I took during the trip as I was too busy driving .

What the jeep looked like this morning. notice spare tire and the bent center link

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Unpacked the harbor freight tire changer that I had bought a while back and popped the bead off. Cleaned off the bead as it had lots of dirt in it. Bent the rim back also. Put it all back on and checked bead no leaks yeah.

Decided to Mount my spare tire that I bought a while back on a spare rim I had. So now have the correct size spare.

Just need to mount the rear bumper with the tire mount. Might just put spare on roof rack for moment. Will add pictures in a moment
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

half of what i had in my jeep

tire changer

fixed tire-forgot to take a pic of the bent rim

spare tire
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

figured out rattle - the roof rack clamps came loose and were giving just enough play to bounce on bumps.

Started mocking up rear shelf in back. Going to use some angle iron from a bed frame. I really want to reorganize the rear to make it easier to grab things. When I had to change the tire I had to dig everything out to get the tire out. Then when I went to repack everything ended up in a pile. Hence the picture of the jeep with everything spewed out of it
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Ok built the rear luggage rack inside rear of vehicle
Used angle iron from a bed frame that I had laying around. Then muffler clamps to clamp it to the roll at. Didn't weld it in as I want to see if I want to keep it.
Used my new mig welder to weld it together. Welds are crap as I didn't clean up the metal enough.
Now I have the rear tire on the platform and it just fits between rear seat and hatch window.

Will tide me over until I can rebuild the rear bumper and tire carrier

Unread 07-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

ran back up to leek springs look up with my wife and son. didnt even air down this time. just ran it -
jeep is so much quieter on road with exhaust fixed. I was a little worried after banging on front suspension and spinning front tires inside rim.
rear rack did ok- need to get the rear spare tire tied down more. couple good bumps got the tire to go up and down. hard.

tightened the roof rack down and it did not rattle that bad. think it is really the rear right shock that is causing the issue.

or just build the rear bumper.
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

That shelf you were talking about came out pretty slick Shawn. I'm a big fan of being able to separate storage areas, I like to keep my spares/tools/greasy stuff completely separate from all of my camping gear. I'm sure it's the same with you and the equipment you bring.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.