running 4.7 JGC with no muffler.... - JeepForum.com
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Bliss Racing

running 4.7 JGC with no muffler....

Just wondering if i ran the jeep with no muffler..... if id would run ok...or lose power or torque....and if it would be obnoxiously loud, or sound good??

I did this with my Grand Prix GTP and it ran great, but that was a supercharged car.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

You will loose torque.

HP will be close if not higher.

My Trans Am made huge gains in the 1/4 mile when I added mufflers and a cat compared to an open exhaust.

Woody
1985 1 ton K-5, Detroit diesel, 36" tires (going bigger when money permits), 4-speed manual swap, Rockwell T-case, Hybrid lift, 12.5K winch.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Bliss Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
You will loose torque.

HP will be close if not higher.

My Trans Am made huge gains in the 1/4 mile when I added mufflers and a cat compared to an open exhaust.
Yea, i'm not too worried about losing out in something like the quarter.....more or less just want to give it a more aggressive sound.

so HP gains might go up?? Do you think it would be a noticable loss in torque?

Obnoxious sounding at all??

post #4 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Bliss Racing

Oh, and i'm too broke right now for mufflers, so that's why i ask this
post #5 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Lots of torque loss, probably 15% or more. You might not even get overdrive to engage. I had a manual in the T/A and I thought there was something wrong with the 350 HO under the hood.

If you want agressive sound, drop a Flowmaster 40 series muffler in there. It'll sound great and your performance will not be degraded.

Your HP gains will probably be less than 5%.

VERY OBNOXIOUS, especially if you don't pipe it to the rear bumper. Mine was dumped by the tranny and I only lived with it for a couple of weeks before I put pipes on. I would've done it sooner, but had a motorcycle I could ride till I had the money saved to do it.

Many areas have made it city, county, or state ordinances that require noise reduction decices on a vehicle. You could be fined for running without one. Do yourself and your vehicle a favor and leave your pipes alone. If you want more noise, get a flowmaster or cherry bomb. They are inexpensive and will keep you out of trouble.

Woody
1985 1 ton K-5, Detroit diesel, 36" tires (going bigger when money permits), 4-speed manual swap, Rockwell T-case, Hybrid lift, 12.5K winch.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss Racing
Oh, and i'm too broke right now for mufflers, so that's why i ask this

Don't touch your exhaust till you have money to do it right.

Woody
post #7 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Bliss Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Lots of torque loss, probably 15% or more. You might not even get overdrive to engage. I had a manual in the T/A and I thought there was something wrong with the 350 HO under the hood.

If you want agressive sound, drop a Flowmaster 40 series muffler in there. It'll sound great and your performance will not be degraded.

Your HP gains will probably be less than 5%.

VERY OBNOXIOUS, especially if you don't pipe it to the rear bumper. Mine was dumped by the tranny and I only lived with it for a couple of weeks before I put pipes on. I would've done it sooner, but had a motorcycle I could ride till I had the money saved to do it.

Many areas have made it city, county, or state ordinances that require noise reduction decices on a vehicle. You could be fined for running without one. Do yourself and your vehicle a favor and leave your pipes alone. If you want more noise, get a flowmaster or cherry bomb. They are inexpensive and will keep you out of trouble.
I've never had trouble with exhaust and police......i've had plenty of fast, loud toys....cammin and all.....i just really miss the sound. I had a 2001 WS6 that shook houses....my neighbors hated me!!

Maybe i'll just try to find a used 40 series somewhere then...sounds like the smart thing to do.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Bliss Racing

sorry, damn computer is double posting......
post #9 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Bliss Racing

yea, maybe a good idea to wait till i can atealst get a muffler
post #10 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 01:21 AM
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

I ran my 4.7 w\o a muffler for a few weeks after I installed my long arm- VERY, VERY obnoxious.

'04 4.7 WJ 6" Clayton's, full width 60\14b, 37" Nitto mud grapplers, lots of bits and pieces
post #11 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 07:11 AM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Just get a nice FM40 muffler. I have it and it is loud enough for me. When I added the FIPK it got louder.

2013 FR-S
post #12 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 02:43 PM
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Its really odd...with the 2 precats and the main cat, it sounds VERY quiet at idle. You touch the gas and it gets loud FAST =P. Maintaining speeds at lowish RPM's its actually a decent sound, but any throttle up...and lol.

To contact me, email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 WJ 5 Speed Claytons LA's, 36" Iroks, 35 spline 9" rear, Custom Ruffstuff 60-9" front axle.
Build Thread:

post #13 of 18 Old 11-25-2006, 03:42 PM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake
Its really odd...with the 2 precats and the main cat, it sounds VERY quiet at idle. You touch the gas and it gets loud FAST =P. Maintaining speeds at lowish RPM's its actually a decent sound, but any throttle up...and lol.

You have the crazy cali emmisions exuast though.

2013 FR-S
post #14 of 18 Old 11-26-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Bliss Racing

so even with the cats still on , with no muffler, it will get that much more louder and obnoxious???
post #15 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 PM
jeep287

4.7 jgc no muffler

hi i have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee now that i am going to do this with in a few days but i did this same thing to my old 2001 jeep grand cherokee 4.7 and my dodge dakota 4.7 and i did run them no muffle but i did connect the pipe so it came out where it norm would come out but it ran fine for years sounded awsome wiked loud had alot of people tell me my jeep and truck sound awsome i dident notice any loss in power or any thing they both ran for years like that till i sold them but i will be doing this to my 99 jeep but it sounds better if you connect it to the tail pipe
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.