Roof rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Roof rails

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Eugenethejeep12
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

Roof rails

Have a 2012 GC Laredo ( among other Jeeps ). It did not come with functional roof rails.... just decorative plastic strips simulating roof rails. Dealer said no rails available. Said I had to buy Thule door sill mounted cross rails. Is this right? Was hoping to go to a auto junk yard and remove the OEM rails off a wrecked GC. Dealer said this cant be done...any thoughts?

Eugenethejeep12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I don't know how they attach the factory ones on the new GCs, but on my ZJ, there's nutserts in the roof. No nutserts, no roof rack. Good luck finding a new GC in the junkyard, I've never even seen a WJ in the junkyards near me.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Eugenethejeep12
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

Rails

They have what look like rails....but they are purely decorative...held in with screws that look like if you wanted later to unscrew the decorative rails and screw in functional rails ...you could. But the parts guy at the dealership said there are no such thing. He made it sound like any rail system that functions...on a more expensive GC...have different screw holes or something. But why the hell even HAVE decorative rails in the first place.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Eugenethejeep12
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

Rails

*clarify*.....if you look at my GC's roof...it looks like it has rails...but they are just decorative. The rails can be unscrewed and removed from the roof...like you could screw on functional rails when you wanted...down the road. Parts guy said so when I bought the Jeep. Year and half later went to parts department and said I'm ready to buy and install functional replacement rails... and he said no such thing existed and they had tried to do something like it for another customer and "whatever" OEM rail they tried to use...well they couldn't make it work.
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
MartyA
2012 WK 

Rocky Road Outfitters has rails and a rack system that is bolt on for the WK2. I've got a thread you can check out and I attached a picture. I didn't go with a full rack, just the rails.
20130804_115033.jpg  
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Eugenethejeep12
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

Roof rails

Thanks!
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Eugenethejeep12
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

One last question....do they require any modifications?
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Eugenethejeep12
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

Hopefully the photo upload works
rail01.jpg  
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenethejeep12 View Post
*clarify*.....if you look at my GC's roof...it looks like it has rails...but they are just decorative. The rails can be unscrewed and removed from the roof...like you could screw on functional rails when you wanted...down the road. Parts guy said so when I bought the Jeep. Year and half later went to parts department and said I'm ready to buy and install functional replacement rails... and he said no such thing existed and they had tried to do something like it for another customer and "whatever" OEM rail they tried to use...well they couldn't make it work.
I missed this post awhile ago, but you can replace the WK2 plastic trim with OEM chrome rails fairly easily. It's not a jeep approved method so most dealers won't have a clue. There are a few DIY guides about the net, no drilling required, pretty simple. If no one posts the link or you can"t find it by the time I get back to civilization tomorrow, I'll try to dig it up.
Basically you unbolt the plastic trim , put the front and rear bolts in part way, slide the end caps over the front and rear bolts and then bolt the rails down, this holds everything in place securely.
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Eugenethejeep12
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

Rails

Sorry I'm late responding....any link you could provide would help. I'll try anything at this point. Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.