Rolling a ZJ with Bolt-in Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Rolling a ZJ with Bolt-in Cage

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
AAA
1997 ZJ 

Rolling a ZJ with Bolt-in Cage

Has anyone had any experience or seen a demo of a bolt-in roll cage after a rollover? With all the controversy over the clamps vs welds, etc. you would think that one of the companies who makes a bolt in roll cage would make a video of their cage in action. I'm sure they can find a cheap ZJ that barely runs for a couple of hundred dollars, install their cage, and send it rolling off a cliff to see how it holds up.

Are there any videos or pictures? If so, post up.

AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

kits suck go have a shop build a correct cage if you plan to wheel hard not only will it save you but your jeep will live longer with a properly tied in cage

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It'll hold up just like a one time use cage. For evidence, look up stock tj rollovers.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
AAA
1997 ZJ 

As the original request stated, I was looking for pictures or videos of one of the bolt-in kits after a rollover. Stock TJ's obviously don't have the bolt-in kit I was referring to. But thanks for playing.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
You're thinking about building a cage using clamps? IMO those aren't true roll cages, they are showtruck stuff that won't hold in a true roll-over. Might survive a slow flop but that's about it. Don't expect for one to survive a multiple roll- over when crawling, let alone a high- speed roll- over.

As was mentioned, a custom cage with welded connections is the ONLY way to build a proper cage. There's nothing wrong with attaching the cage using bottom plates + bolts to the unibody though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA View Post
As the original request stated, I was looking for pictures or videos of one of the bolt-in kits after a rollover. Stock TJ's obviously don't have the bolt-in kit I was referring to. But thanks for playing.
The tj cage is actually built better than the bolt together station wagon kits.
They're intended to help some survivability of the driver and passengers, but the jeep will be totaled all the same.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
AAA
1997 ZJ 

I was just looking for pictures or videos to see how they held up after a rollover. That's it - nothing more. I guess there are none.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.