Rolled her on her side....looking at my options. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Rolled her on her side....looking at my options.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rolled her on her side....looking at my options.

Well.....2013 has kicked off to be a rather ****ty year already. I'm used to having bad luck..but my poor Dub didn't deserve to be brought into it.
Won't go into too much detail of how it happened. Back in fort worth area visiting my family, Late night driving home, cow in the road. I BARELY hit the cow and over correct, back side swings around and I slowly tip over.
Windshield in tact along with driver side window.. I drove her home after all of it...
Now, THIS IS MY DD. I plan to keep it that way for a little while longer.
Selling her is NOT an option.
I've got a buddy who said he can probably repair the majority of the damage given she drives ok (doesn't "dog leg, indicating her underneath is Effed. The sliders Kept that from happening. still straight). He said he'll know for sure when he sees it up close. Ive got a donor WJ to take pieces from for 500 and he said 1400 for labor (including paint to match). I'm preparing for more just in case but i figure I'll take out painting since I've got more the stuff for that.

The back quarter panel got the worst of the damage but all doors including back hatch still open and close fine. I can even roll the window up and down still on the drivers door.

The front looks funny in the picture because the springs had fallen out (my front wasn't connected) I have since put them back in..

The roof is very very slightly bowed at top because of the mushed in area above the door. Again, He said he'll have to look at it but he said theres a difference between it bowing so much it bends, ripples and so on. That needs to be replaced. But theres also the type of bowing where it will flatten back to its original spot once given the space. Just in case, I am preparing to replace it. That way no letdowns...

This picture doesn't give a good idea of the way it looks from behind... I took the picture standing too much off center causing it to look more slanted in than it is. It's slanted...but not THAT bad.

First choice is of course to Fix her... but if I get the devastating news she is NOT fixable...I'm trying to consider my options..
I've seen quite a few WJ for sale with blown motors... I could swap in my motor and other parts if needed....but then I would have to cut the long arms and sliders off to eventually install on the new body... I'm considering this my absolute LAST option... The hell***** cant be replaced and a different body just wouldnt be the same.

Straighten out what I can and try to fit something that can act as windows (lexan or something) to protect the interior and eventually reinforcing her with a rollcage and chopping her into a truggy/truck. This will happen one day regardless...I dont feel ready for that yet though..I have a lot of fun and learning to do before that.

Maybe I'm getting my hopes up... Especially after seeing this rollover repair:http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/05-...-o-pics-38788/
The rear quarter panel damage and pillar look very similar to mine.

what do you guys think? Has anyone repaired something similar or worse?
I know its a lot of money and some think she's not worth it, but she is to me.

What sucks even more is I hit the cow enough to knock it over, but not enough to do much. It was able to get up and walk its dumb fat *** away...I can say one thing, that front bumper has proven itself to be SOLID. Would have been worse without the bumpers and sliders on.

kristi5683 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

I would personally search for another cheap dub and put alot of time into smashing them into one. Seems like you dont want to do it, but thats what i would do if mine was in an accident. Especially being that everything swappable is in great condition so it would be easy enough to do it the second time.
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
TeeJay4490
1999 WJ 

I honestly see in no way shape or form how that is close to fixable..I hate to be the debbie downer but youre probably gonna have to swap over.

1999 Grand Laredo 4x4: [SIZE="2"]Whats left of a front bumper - JK Saharas' with 33's - 4 in. Rough Country lift - HID conversion - Double cardon conversion - TJ gas cap mod - Recovery points added - Painted cladding and grill - Skid plates - All moog suspension- Roof Rack -CB radio - Cut and trimmed fenders[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/tjswj-build-thread-1438516/[/url]

[url]http://wjjeeps.com/[/url]
TeeJay4490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

IF I end up doing the swap... seeing as my long arms were welded on, could I cut the brackets and other components off to reuse? The frame rails I would probably replace since they are only about $60 (and would require the most clean up) but everything else would add up fast and would rather not replace them if I don't have to. I don't know much about welding but I'm guessing I'll have to buy new ones?
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
TeeJay4490
1999 WJ 

I'm not sure. I would think that you would need new brackets since they were cut but I'm no expert.

1999 Grand Laredo 4x4: [SIZE="2"]Whats left of a front bumper - JK Saharas' with 33's - 4 in. Rough Country lift - HID conversion - Double cardon conversion - TJ gas cap mod - Recovery points added - Painted cladding and grill - Skid plates - All moog suspension- Roof Rack -CB radio - Cut and trimmed fenders[/SIZE]

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay4490 View Post
I'm not sure. I would think that you would need new brackets since they were cut but I'm no expert.
I was just going to cut around them and grind down but I'd probably just buy new ones. Whats $400 more going to do to other than make me *****, piss, cry and moan that much more
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
TeeJay4490
1999 WJ 

Touché. I like your style. Maybe we should start a rollover club lol

Unread 01-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay4490 View Post
Touché. I like your style. Maybe we should start a rollover club lol
Maybe so...after I get done whining and *****ing. Who am I kidding....im a chick...I find reasons to ***** (and in this case it's true..been full of piss and vinegar since Saturday)

IF I end up having to swap her...there's one last thing ill have to do with my golddigger. Myself and a bunch if jeep buddies are headed to hidden falls on the 18th. Before I swap her, I think I'll take her there and give her one last good run.
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Cnolenwj
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

So bummed to see your jeep in that condition, hard to say what to do. I would guess insurance would claim it as totaled, but it doesn't take much for them to do that.
Hopefully your friend will be able to fix it for you.
Glad your ok and atleast its still drivable.

Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1195835/

North Texas Grands- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Grand Slam Texas- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...texas-1419143/

Grand Slam Texas Group- http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...00000454207551
Cnolenwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
TeeJay4490
1999 WJ 

I actually just went through that KJ repair and yours might actually be doable. Dont lose all hope.

Unread 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Donnyd21
1998 ZJ 

Did you have full coverage insurance? Mine was in a severe rear end collision back in 06, it was totaled then sold at a insurance salvage auction and repaired and resold again, I didnt know till AFTER I bought it, the frame crumpled in the rear but it was straightend out, hatch replaced, heck even the rear doors got messed up thats how bad it was, alignment is perfect in it and it does not leak water when it rains, I do get some slight wind noise that I cant get rid of from the drivers rear door, I got a great deal on her and she only has 114k miles with $800 in brand new tires so I dont care, it can be fixed, mine was WAY worse than yours.
Donnyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
sandfreestyle
2004 WJ 

I see the pics and all I can think is "trail rig". It is possible to fix but dont think it would be the best in the end. Chances are the ins. company will total it if they get involved and you can buy it back from them and make it a trail rig and get another DD.
04 WJ V8 HO, 545rfe w/ shift kit, NP231HD w/ SS SYE, TW drive shafts, 4" RCX, 255/75/17 moabs, 55w HID projectors, Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, Superchips, bored TB, HD Tie rod and Drag Link, IRO Steering Equalizer, Dual steering stabalizers, Homemade Sliders, 4 Hella FF75 55w HID Light bar...

“The corpse’s crimson bitter tears flow and mingle through the endless sand feeding the chaos in me and making me stronger”
sandfreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the only truly SAFE fix now that the roof is compromised is to cut it off and weld a new roof section on. it's one of the hardest repairs there is.

plenty of people here have hack jobbed their grands after a rollover with a port-a-power and hammers though. but i wouldn't even ride in one of those.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
the only truly SAFE fix now that the roof is compromised is to cut it off and weld a new roof section on. it's one of the hardest repairs there is.

plenty of people here have hack jobbed their grands after a rollover with a port-a-power and hammers though. but i wouldn't even ride in one of those.
yeah i've decided to buy a body and do a swap
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

As painful as it is, it's the only way to do it. Once damaged something else happens and it could be a lot worse of an accident. Lost my XJ after a freak accident because of the wind. Cork-screwed it. Didn't want to give it up, but no way it was safe to drive. It lived on though with someone else using it as a mod-bog truck for a few years.
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.