Rocker Panel Upgrades? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Rocker Panel Upgrades?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
04Transport

Rocker Panel Upgrades?

Say no to wimpy hollow Rocker Panels.. .

Failing inspection and not wanting to waste time nor money reworking these stock hollow rockers sure seemed the perfect time bullet proofing this area. When the time calls of getting off the tarmac, setting a jack at any point between wheels nor worrying of metal cancer for much longer time to come while stiffening the unibody in the process. What would you rather do? Looking for better solutions keeping a some what stock appearance. Seeing a few different ways many have done (thank you) the feeling seems so far best route of cutting out old rocker to weld in 2x6 steel with 3/16" thickness with possibly extra cross supports to inner unibody frame. Extra protection of outer tubular brush guard or step seemed added bonus.
Enough jabber & show off your Rocker upgrade.

I/We Thank You!

04Transport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
My 2 x 6 rockers + 1.75" OD tube as rock sliders/ steps.

They are actually 2" x 4" + 2" x 2" .120" wall, welded together for similar strength as 2" x 6" .250" wall, on lower weight package. Has taken a beating without issues, no cross- bracing to uniframe rails. I will eventually add them once I also do the frame stiffeners, but so far rockers have been good for three years.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Mine are 3/16 2x6, but I honestly can't remember the size of the tube.

Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
derekmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.