Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

RMFK13 Build Thread.

10K views 89 replies 19 participants last post by  RMFK13 
#1 ·
well.. I just ordered some spacers tonight so I thought I might as well make a build thread.
Heres how it sat a few days ago.
Its been in the family for 15 years.

i decided to make these lights fit on the brackets. we have had em for some time just never put em on.. the other ones got smashed off a few years ago.

so this week sometime im gonna guess ill get the spacers in the mail.
When one my buds ain't too busy ill put them in. and have an update.

Future things i wish to do, i really haven't decided..
I know i will get the RC 4 inch lift, just because of the Adjustable control arms. Iv yet to figure out if ill use the spacers to make it 6 inchs or not. Ill also order some Cragar soft 8s and When these tires run out, which shouldnt be all too long, ill get some A/t's. depends on how much money i have at the time. Jobless and doubt i will find one any time soon, so this will be a slow build.

-Rob

heres some random pictures.

First time i took it out. Didnt get pictures till i got back to the shop.

Bottomed out on a rut

See less See more
#3 ·
My 2 cents: Remove the cladding, and paint the bumpers. I'd recommend either Krylon Fusion or a Bed Liner, like Rhino, Rustoleum or Duplicolor lining (3 different textures, heavy, medium, and light, respectively). Then tint the tails, too.

But otherwise, looks like you're at least having fun with it! The spacers will help out too, and will help you fit into some bigger tires.

#4 ·
i do intend to trim and paint the bumpers... cladding stays on. may paint it also. think of em as brush guards... gotta crack through them before denting the door.

Not tinting tail lights.. too many people i know pulled over for em.

and yes. i do have fun with it.
I needa find a way to keep from fillin the airbox up with mud and water.

#5 ·
I needa find a way to keep from fillin the airbox up with mud and water.
Seems like from the mud you're riding in, your only other option is some sort of snorkel set-up, either out the hood, or the fender, up the a-pillar, like most. These can be made pretty easily, just using plumbing tubing, and water-tight sealants, theres a lot of build threads for these.

Trust me, I know all about scratches and scrapes, but my cladding was the paint-matched cladding, so it was glossy, and EVERYTHING showed, so I removed it, and Bed Linered my whole Jeep. I'd much rather have the bed liner get scratches, where I can either wipe them away, or just touch it up with more bed liner, than have it scratch the claddings, and I'm stuck with it, and it looks terrible. And all of my wheeling is deep mud and woods/trails, especially during hunting season, and with the stuff I put my Jeep through, I haven't gotten any dents yet. You're just as likely to get a dent in a parking lot, and if it hits hard enough to break the cladding, it's going to dent the doors too. But to each his own, some like the cladding, I hated it, like it so much better without.

But just painting them will make a HUGE difference over the factory look. Even the color contrast alone, the black on that gold-ish color will look much better. And you'll also love the bumper trimmed too, better clearance, and looks nicer IMO.

And the cops are as bad around here with the tinted tails, they got enough to worry about, without having to worry about pulling over kids with tinted tails, haha.

#9 ·
I have the Rc 4" lift, you really don't want to run 6" lift with short arms.

#10 ·
Don't really see it as much anymore but back when I first joined, I can remember at least 5 ZJs with 6" of lift on short arms. And Hunter still runs it and has been for like a million years, no joke. :shhh: But it can done, will the ride be as good as long arms, no but it is a cheaper alternative.

#11 ·
What he really needs to do , is decide what size tires he can afford, and base the lift around that.

#16 ·
When you get the compressors, pull out the pucks, set the spring back in and jack up that side to compress the spring and put the compressors on it. Then all you have to do is lower the axle 3" and you can put the puck and spring in no prob. I did it this way by myself and it only took me about 2 hours start to finish.

#19 ·
They should have them. I bought a set of cheap spring compressors at harbor freight for like 10 or 12 bucks knowing I was only using them to hold the spring not compress it.

#21 ·
got it done today. Pics of the back will be following later, they are on my sisters camera cause mine had died.
could be weeks. =p.
but heres the work in the front and sitting on its own weight.

finished front on its own weight.

and then completely done.
sorry they are so blury, it was on night mode so it flashs like 5 times before it takes a picture and i cant hodl still that long.

#32 ·
Yup, it has a matte finish. I like matte for the cladding, IMO it's easier to spray and touch up then a gloss finish. Also, I wasn't going for the Limited look, which is another reason I like the flat color.

My ZJ is black, so it matches the paint, but I think the flat black cladding is a nice contrast.

#28 ·
looks good, but if you would have unbolted the shocks they would have went in with ease... but then agian i put 4.5 inch springs in on factory control arms with no compressor...

turning out nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.