Replace Headliner 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Replace Headliner 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Jesy420
1997 ZJ 

Replace Headliner 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Hello, I am wondering if anyone out there could give me a detailed description of how to remove my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo headliner (with center console) and replace it. I know models without the center console can be removed threw the cargo door - this doesn't seem to be the case with the console. Anything will help! Thank you.

Jesy420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Kho5050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesy420
Hello, I am wondering if anyone out there could give me a detailed description of how to remove my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo headliner (with center console) and replace it. I know models without the center console can be removed threw the cargo door - this doesn't seem to be the case with the console. Anything will help! Thank you.
Yeah, I actually just replaced my headliner in my 97 jgcl, very easy job, first u need to go measure ur headliner length, I forgot what it was, don't worry bout the width and go down to hancocks or ur fabric store and pick up some automotive headliner fabric u can't use just ne thing cuz it has to have that foam stuff on it, then get some like 3m spray adhesive or glue, down to the work now, u need to remove all covers on the side seatbelts around the doors, use a slim screwdriver they'll pop out, and the use a wrench to remove the seat belt anchor bolts underneath, ur head console slides forward and out, be careful cuz u have to disconnect the little electrical clip that goes to the lights before u yank it down, also remove the panel at the end of the roof above ur cargo bay and unscrew ur visors, also have tiny little electrical clips to disconnect, everything outof the way now pull out the two retaining pins in the center of ur headliner with a screwdriver, pull ur entire headliner board down be careful with it and slip it out through the rear cargo door, this next part is messy so it helps if u have shop vac, ur gonna pull off all the old headliner and then sand off all the old nasty foam still stuck to the board, use just hand sandpaper, everything clean now roll new headliner out over ur board so u know how it fits, glue stuff dries fast so it's important u work quick, I just left it laid out and rolled the front back sprayed the he'll outof the board and back of liner then laid it back over the board used a clean paint roller to press it all down and then did back, after the trim cut ur holes in it let it set awhile and replace in reverse order u took out, damn lot of writing but it didn't take long, hope this helped man
Kho5050 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Jesy420
1997 ZJ 

Ahhh thank you so much for the information. Anything will look better than the 100 thumb tacks up there!
Jesy420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
leonhuang
2000 WJ 

pretty easy job. I did it in 2 hours

Just peel off the old headliner. Use anything you like from local fabric store. I picked brown velveteen, which was on sale in our local fabricland. You don't have to use the one with foam on back. It does not feel any different.

Anyways, use any spray glue you can find in your local automobile parts store. You can either take out the backing panel and put the fabric, or you can do it with your backing panel being mounted in the car. does not really matter. the only thing important is use enough glue, and do it carefully.

I just did it by myself within 2 hours. Looks great!

BTW, the spray glue i use suggest 5 minutes after spray and before attach. It's is helpful.
leonhuang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.