ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #121
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The more contact the better.

Locker isn't due till the 24th though. I've still got more por-15 to do and it appears I need longer shocks and a brake line.
I've been putting off drilling out the broken bolts from my rad support, finishing my battery box, so much to do. I think the rad. May be leaking from the pet**** too.

I just wanna wheel it again. Tired of the 4cyl stocker the g/f drives.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #122
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

por-15 and a solid cover now. just waiting on master install kit and locker.

cut all the bracketry off the back finally and por-15'd as much of the underside as i could reach. and a decent amount of myself as well. exhaust routing is going to be interesting.

Unread 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #123
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

How do you like the Solid diff cover ?
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #124
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i'll let everyone know after I beat on it. Its heavy, well made, and good hang for the buck.

I got the locker installed today, checked the gear pattern and its pretty much textbook on the coast side, a touch off on the drive side, and the backlash is good. Not gonna do any adjustments since the preload is good on the carrier bearings and the gears are used.

Gotta drill for the locker wires grommet. bolt up the brakes, run some brake line, then bolt it to the jeep before the snow starts.

Unread 11-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #125
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

close. full droop allowable by the shocks. another inch and the springs come off the posts.

Unread 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #126
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

finally on all 4 wheels again. gonna have some tweaking to do for control arm lengths in the rear, axle is twisted a hair and pinion angle isn't set fully yet. so, brake lines, final control arm lengths, and flange adapter is all that's left on that end. gotta do a little more modification to the clayton's crossmember to fit the dodge trans mount. i was off by about 3/4" in the mounting location now that i've fixed the mount stack height issue i had encountered previously(had to add 1" to the mount for proper driveline angles)

gonna need to throw the bb on top of the springs in front, the 8.8 swap added over 2" of lift to the rear.
22.75" hub to fender front, 24 7/8 rear.
finally got a little side by side of the 44a and 8.8, the 8.8 is significantly bigger all around. fully recommended.

Unread 11-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #127
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Wow. Nice build.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #128
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

you didnt triangulate your rear lowers but you did your uppers correct?

could you give me some measurements of your arms? im thinking about building my own long arms maybe this summer. been doing some crazy research

also, any idea what your antisquat is?

one last thing, how was the application of the por15? iv heard it can be temperamental
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #129
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it's the clayton's kit, i decided for the time invested in making a home built one i'd be better off buying clayton's stuff. and i was right.
my arm measurements need tweaked, i need to get better locating measurements on the axle.

for the money, i'd not do por 15 again. it's very temperamental on what it'll stick to. smooth bare metal it hated but it stuck to rough paint with dirt still on it like nobody's business.

Unread 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #130
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

didn't beat the snow.

got the crossmember and tranny mount modified. needed to add 1.25" to the stack height of the dodge tranny mount.
i've done better work with a plasma, but this'll do. most of the rough edges is a weld bead anyways.

here's the gear pattern i got when i put the locker in.

items left. brake lines, exhaust, proper adjustment of the axle, tidy up the interior. new rear drive shaft.

Unread 12-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #131
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

How much snow you get?? We got about 1.5' to 2' today. its nuts.

So when you gonna get her driving again? That thing is gonna be beastly.

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #132
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

somewhere in this picture is a joke. anyone care to guess the punchline?

Unread 12-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #133
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
somewhere in this picture is a joke. anyone care to guess the punchline?

Is that your "high flow" custom Y?
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #134
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

I'm just saying, if that's your "high flowing" Y-pipe, you need to kill that the guy that came up with the design. It looked bad installed, but that's atrocious!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #135
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i'm heading over there to stomp a mudhole.

i'm almost done with building it myself, all i need is another couple j-bends to fab up the s bend i need for the driver's side downtube.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.