ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #76
jeep360limited

post a video of you driving around...that thing is so sweet

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited-----SOLD
jeep360limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #77
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

local shop, once again that comes highly recommended, wanted 275 to whack an inch off of my front driveshaft.

i felt that was totally unreasonable so i made a jig to keep the tube straight and cut and welded it myself. gonna test drive it in a few to see if there's any vibes, i think there's gonna be though due to the angle the tcase is sitting at. i need to raise it about an inch to an inch and a half. oddly there's no rear driveline vibes with the angle altered like that.
since i can raise it that much more i'll be nearly able to do a flat belly pan. score!

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 05:15 AM   #78
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

closer...

Unread 08-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #79
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

wow! i havent been back in here since the first post however long ago. i cant believe ive been missing all his! amazing wok so far, i wish i was confident enough to undertake something like this. mad props man.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #80
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

finally got around to inspecting my rear axle well. it's toasted. i guess hitting a curb, blowing a u-joint at 75mph, and catching air on a few jumps did it in. lol.
bad pinion bearings(from the ujoint going out at high speed), bad carrier bearings(common), and bent tubes(curb and ramping). so picked up an 8.8, getting tnt to do me a truss and mounts, and it'll go in soon. so motor is on hold again. lol.

i have a nearly brand new pass side axle shaft, pass side and driver's side axle shafts that'll be good for trail spares or possible replacements. moderate amounts of wear on the bearing surfaces and they don't appear to be bent. will check run out if there's interest in buying them. and a used aussie with less than 15k on it.
75/ axle shaft and 200 for the aussie if you want 'em. the aussie shows little to no signs of wear and was installed to the tight side of in spec. doesn't pop and engages correctly every time.

Unread 09-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #81
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

got the mounts cleaned off and the rust sanded down on the 8.8. i wanted to get one with an open carrier so i could throw an aussie in there, there was no tag on the diff and the yard assured me it was 3.73 open, well it's 3.73 lsd...i guess i'll check the clutch pack out and wheel that if it's still in good shape. i'll check out the svt rebuild kit for it, if that's a good price i'll just go that route if needed. otherwise i'm gonna start looking into selectable lockers for next year.

i've decided to also build a clayton's style rear long arm for it since i've got to put new tabs on the axle anyways. now, hopefully i can keep up with the overtime at work so i can afford to finish this quickly.

Unread 09-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #82
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Tore everything but the pinion out if the 8.8...the carrier bearings are galled beyond belief. One outer race appears to have spun. The wheel bearings and seals are shot. Shaft bearing surfaces show visible wear, but only mics out to .0045". The lsd...well it broke two clutch plate tabs off at some point at least 5k before they parked it. Spider gears are marked up, but not chunked so that's good. The ring and pinion are in excellent shape with a very light and correct wear pattern. Backlash was still on the tight side before I pulled the carrier out.
Suspension. After pricing out materials and factoring in my labor time. I'm just buying claytons with the high clearance axle bracket kit. Their fab time and profit comes out to less than I'd make in the time it would take me to fab the same system. Given that we pay the same for steel.
When it comes time for the front of my jeep claytons may not be the prime choice due to my atypical drivetrain. There are better price points out there for the front, claytons are hard to beat on the back side though.

Unread 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #83
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ordered back half of my claytons today.

Unread 10-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #84
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Project took a break so I could purchase a newer second vehicle 2003 eclipse spyder gts.
Gotta do a clutch in that soon and it'll be a done deal. 'till the modding bug bites on that of course. The power is adequate and the mileage us good, but it sure isn't a v8.

Finally got my welder set up and ready to squirt some wire. Clayton's long arms will start going on this week as weather and time allows. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for a traction aid in the rear. Ox and arb lockers are tempting. But a rebuilt lsd is cheaper.

With the nice daily driver i'm leaning towards making the grand a little less on road friendly now.

Unread 10-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #85
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

PM sent! 12345
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #86
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

welded up everything but the lower control arm mounts this afternoon on the axle.

never mind the work area, i have very limited space at my house.

Unread 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #87
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ran out of wire tonight. got the lower control arm mounts on and tacked the coil buckets in place.

Unread 10-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #88
charles81076
2008 JK Wrangler 

where do you find the time?
charles81076 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #89
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

A few hours here and there really adds up.

The time has come to decide upon a locker to put in the 8.8. Anyone care to offer some opinions? Selections on 4wd and qt are actually really slim for such a popular jeep swap.

Unread 10-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #90
j.love
1994 ZJ 

You are a mad man!

I never come over here to the general discussion side.. look what I missed!
Now I feel lazy for not having my motor in yet.
Slow down so I don't feel so bad about myself will ya!
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.