ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #61
ZJ_Richie
1996 ZJ 

Looking good. Keep up the good work. Glad it is finally coming together for you.

3 in. Pro Comp lift with crawlerready 2 in. spacers, longer than stock control arms, front adj. track bar with IRO hd mount, rear adj. track bar, jks discos, Currie Currectlync, black soft 8's with 32 in. Hankook Dynapro mts

Future mods: hp30, 8.8 swap, IRO's 5.5 Critcal Path Kit

ZJ_Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #62
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

put the headers on today. hedman tight tubes fit very well, the y-pipe is going to be getting done tomorrow. should be an adventure for the shop to get it clearing everything under there.
the bolts hedman included are the wrong thread pitch for the heads for some reason, they appear to be metric.

from the top, driver's side

pass side

another shot of the trans mount.

unfortunately yet another problem has crept up. none of the gauges work, all the idiot lights run through the sequence at start up(i think, gotta pay attention to the mil) hope it's not a bad pcm...

Last edited by ratmonkey; 07-22-2009 at 06:01 PM..
ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #63
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

in the shop for exhaust bending.
less than 500 for 3" front to back with 2.5" tube to the y-pipe merge.
having them put a flange connector between the y-pipe and the cat as i know something is gonna end up captive that i'll need to work on with the exhaust off.

lemme tell ya, it's gonna be tight.

Unread 07-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #64
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
in the shop for exhaust bending.
less than 500 for 3" front to back with 2.5" tube to the y-pipe merge.
having them put a flange connector between the y-pipe and the cat as i know something is gonna end up captive that i'll need to work on with the exhaust off.

lemme tell ya, it's gonna be tight.
What muffler are you running? Think 2.5" is big enough for my niner for a custom Y?
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #65
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

carsound cat and 11"x 3" cherry bomb(i'm oldschool with my exhaust sound preference)

the stock y-pipe isn't too bad, you can get about 10 ponies by removing the kink in the pass side downtube.

if you are doing headers and the whole thing, you should have the diameters as equal as possible.

Unread 07-31-2009, 05:07 AM   #66
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

this thing went from ok to drive to being an absolute blast.

even with spirited driving from light to light i picked up about 4mpg in town. we'll see where i end up when all is said and i can keep my foot out of the floor.

Unread 07-31-2009, 05:52 AM   #67
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
this thing went from ok to drive to being an absolute blast.

even with spirited driving from light to light i picked up about 4mpg in town. we'll see where i end up when all is said and i can keep my foot out of the floor.
Nice man, this is a pretty sick project. Header install wasn't too bad?
Unread 07-31-2009, 06:19 AM   #68
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Nice man, this is a pretty sick project. Header install wasn't too bad?
the hedman headers have all the clearance in the world. it's the starter getting eaten by the driver's side upper control arm i'm worried about. saving for long arms after i get another back up car.
both headers slipped in from the top with little to no fussing, just had to take the oil filter off. now, you WILL need a different y-pipe using these headers, but for 280$ for the painted headers it's hard to beat.

oh, i did figure out why the ram pcm wasn't giving me any gauge readings, one of the chips on the board had cracked and separated due to the nasty impact that totaled out the vehicle it came from.

Unread 07-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #69
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

What would you guess your mileage is at this point?
Unread 07-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #70
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

we'll see when i get a few tanks through it, but it appears to be coming out aroung 15-16 in town and probably a hair or two over 20mpg highway at the moment. i was getting 10.5/15 with the auto and everything else the same. this is going off my overhead, and experience tells me that it is correct.

once the novelty wears off and i can keep my shift points below 2krpm i'll know a bit better what it's capable of. my motor really wakes up in the 2.5-3.5krpm range so i've been enjoying that all week.

Unread 07-31-2009, 07:05 AM   #71
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
we'll see when i get a few tanks through it, but it appears to be coming out aroung 15-16 in town and probably a hair or two over 20mpg highway at the moment. i was getting 10.5/15 with the auto and everything else the same. this is going off my overhead, and experience tells me that it is correct.

once the novelty wears off and i can keep my shift points below 2krpm i'll know a bit better what it's capable of. my motor really wakes up in the 2.5-3.5krpm range so i've been enjoying that all week.
I'd gladly take a 50% gain in around town mileage. Want to swap a 5 speed in my niner?

This thread is tits, btw.
Unread 08-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #72
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

been daily driving it for about 2 weeks now. I haven't even gone through a tank of gas yet when I used to fill up every 8-10 days. Rough estimate is 14 consistent in town as of now.

My 408 short block is done at the shop, drilled for the dodge pilot bearing and installed. Will be ready to drop that in as soon as I can afford to drop coin on the sct tuner and new pcm.

In the mean time i'm fabbing up some control arm skids, aux hid back up light, center console, and getting generally ready for state inspection coming up.

Unread 08-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #73
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

awesome build man, how have i not seen this?

couple things,
how close are you to finishing your wj brakes?
and did you get the dakota shorty headers to fit?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #74
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Need to do ball joints with the wj brakes, so I'm waiting to decide on a hp30 first. Gotta get a small parts kit for the brakes, pads, and conversion rotors too. Kinda on hold for now.
The dak headers would not in anyway fit with the configuration I now have.
The hedman tight tubes are the only headers or manifolds that could work in my jeep now.

Unread 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #75
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

header collector gasket blew out on me. apparently the exhaust shop ripped it when they were installing stuff and decided to use exhaust putty to seal the thing back up.
i will definitely never recommend that shop to anyone and i'm gonna have to give the people that did recommend them a piece of my mind.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.