ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 06-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #46
Jones
Consider the following...

You have some great tech in this thread, keep up the good work.

Unread 06-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #47
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

wow, there really aren't enough pedals in a zj. i mean, look at this.

this is more like it.

here's the knock outs you need to remove(drill through) in 96-98 zj's.

there's a bracket on the inside of the firewall that serves no purpose i can discern you'll have to remove. it's generously spot welded at the area you have to drill out so it's not too hard to get out. i needed a die grinder with cut off wheel to get it right. there's less wiring under the dash in an obdII zj than obdI, but there's a wire trunk in the way that will need a new route to get to the chime/security module and obd scanner port.

part one of the 5spd is done and done.(master cyl to follow)

the stop light switch from the 94 is exactly the same as my 97(didn't feel like removing from the brackets)

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #48
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

How did I miss this thread?

Very nice.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #49
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

got the itch to weld steel to cast, see if you can guess what the other project is going to be.

this is turning into an expensive summer.

Unread 06-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #50
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

more parts goodness. 80 bills for wj calipers and knuckles for the brake upgrade

75 for a v8 5spd ram ecu.

30 for both headlights from an 04 audi a4, projector retrofit here i come. after some searching on car-part.com, i realized how smoking this deal was. can't get into just one projector housing(not the whole light housing) for under 200.

Last edited by ratmonkey; 06-28-2009 at 05:54 AM..
Unread 06-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #51
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

wj knuckles and spacers, sandblasted the knuckles clean.

plates torqued to 75ftlbs, heated everything to 400*, zapped in place with what i thought was high nickel rod. turns our our die repair welder gave me hard face rod. oh well, welds have a rockwell of about 51 now. lmao.

not the prettiest, but solid.

let everything cool slowly in the blankets for 4hrs.

Last edited by ratmonkey; 06-29-2009 at 10:46 AM..
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #52
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

clutch has arrived. i still need a master cyl, and the bolt kit for clutch and flywheel. lol.

undecided as to whether i want to install the transmission behind the 318 or wait till the 408 is finished in a few weeks time. getting antsy for real work now.

so very close, but money is starting to get tight again.

Last edited by ratmonkey; 07-02-2009 at 12:12 PM..
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #53
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

all vestiges of the auto trans have been removed.

tomorrow starts fitment of the 3500.

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #54
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Awesome Thread. I finally Just read it all.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #55
clmm69
1995 ZJ 

Wow this is great. I havent done this much work to a car since I had my muscle car about 10 years go. I skeered to get into the newer vehicles these days...
clmm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #56
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

clearances are super tight for exhaust. thought i could use some dodge long tubes but 'tis not enough room. gonna need some block huggers that collect below the middle two exh ports, then a full custom y-pipe.
here's some photos, back of the crank with pilot bearing it. stock hole in the 318 was .980", had to drill it to 1.000". .020" is way too much for an interference fit. locked it in with some high strength metal locking compound to be sure(like loctite for press in items).

clutch in place. zoom kevlar(luk) clutch.

tranny bolted up and hangin a little low.

view from inside. going to need to section the tunnel a bit, may end up losing the ashtray and/or vic to fit a shifter. you can see the back tiniest bit of the mount for the shifter peeking through the tunnel hole.

on the bright side this gives me a nice area in the console to mount a cb and switch panel or anything else i'd like to have quick access to. maybe i'll just relocate the vic to there...

Unread 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #57
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the dodge trans mount fits nearly exactly the same as the jeep mount. the studs are about .5" wider than the holes on the jeep mount so i had to notch kevin's crossmember. i doubt you could do this with the stock x-member.

i'll be making a .25" plate to sandwich the mount properly using all four stock holes so it's not sliding all over. the dodge mount only has two mounting studs.

what i thought was going to be hard turned out easy and what i thought would be pretty simple has turned into expensive, though not hard(headers).

Unread 07-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #58
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

all that's left is extending the starter wires, wiring up the reverse light switch, topping off fluids, exhaust, and finishing up the interior mods. the no ashtray mod isn't so bad.

pics to come when i'm not working in the rain.

Unread 07-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #59
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

I have been thinking of going with the WJ knucles and steering etc ... how much has it cost you so far and what all did you need to swap?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #60
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

turned her over today for a few seconds to make sure everything is kosher. was somewhat worried about the clearance for the cps.
didn't want to run it too long as the driver's manifold dumps right onto the starter at the moment.

all that's left is finishing up the interior, and the headers/exhaust.

some observations, the dodge starter is a LOT more powerful than the jeep one and the dodge appears to have more use on it judging by the wear on the gear.
the 97 ram pcm still has an input for a nss/clutch safety. i had to ground out my nss wire.
key is now stuck in the ignition till i figure out a proper release mechanism like on wranglers, since there's an interlock to keep it from coming out till you're in park. i no longer have that cable to use there.

so, some pictures for proof.
master cyl, the lines of the unit were formed with a i6/ax-15 combo in mind, bit of tweaking will be needed once the headers get put on so i don't have it burning up or rubbing on the steering column.

interior, the shifter is a temporary solution till i find something else i like to screw onto it. the ram shifter needed some love from a torch and pipe to bend it into a configuration that cleared the dash well. i also had to take out one of the washers in the tower that control how stiff the side to side motion is since it's a much shorter stick in the grand than the ram.

functional pedals finally, the brake pedal seems to have a higher ratio than the previous one, brake response seems stiffer and comes on quicker. the clutch pedal is mighty close to that plastic box on the left, i can forsee my duck feet hitting it from time to time till i get used to it.

trans mount and novak shifter linkage. may need some more tweaking on the linkage, but appears to be good as it is. we'll see once i get more time with it. MUCH more direct feeling than the stock linkage.
the mount is 3/16 plate to sandwich the kor x-member mount. the ram mount is about 1/2" wider than the gc mount, i also had to flip the tranny side mount plate to situate it about 1/2" back too. the exhaust hangar is now on the wrong side(a little cut and weld should fix that).

the beast, with some wires that need taken care of.

shot up into the starter. this thing hangs WAY out in the middle of nowhere compared to the jeep starter, it's got me a bit nervous about suspension up-travel, so i'm just gonna have to long arm it(if iro will make a custom x-member at a reasonable price).

wow, sorry about the focus on that last one, the black berry's camera is good, but if you can't hold it still...
time to go out and find a solution for the key interlock and wire up the back up lights.

after that, transmission/engine skid plate time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.