ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #211
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Valve cover i wanted were warped

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #212
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

La valve covers, like the t bolts myself.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #213
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

well, i just bit into an hp hd44 and d60 from a 79 f250. 44 will go in and then i'll think about swapping the 8.8 for the 60 later on if i need to. of course i'll "need" to. lol. those axles should be good for 35's-37's and the 408 i'm building. not quite a 1 ton driveline but it should do with some alloy shafts and cryo treated gears.

here's my iceland offroad flare install.

prep of the metal is key, much less burn through with clean metal. though it's hard all around with a flux core welder on thin metal.

that's a 32 in there, pushed back almost 3" from stock though on claytons.

i'm running 32's for on road and i'll be hitting up some dedicated off road 35's.

Unread 08-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #214
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That 8.8 would handle 37's with a super 88 kit, and cost less than going 35spl in the 60, plus you stay closer to stock width. Are you planning to trailer this thing, or try to drive it to the trails?
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #215
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i'll either be cutting to waggy width or simply going with some deep back spacing to keep the wheels under the iceland flares.
either way won't be a big deal as there's plenty of space under the flares and i love to fab.

yes the 8.8 can handle 37's, and can be made a floater, i'll see what i feel like after getting the front set up. i'm getting the axles for dirt cheap so i'm 100% using the 44, not sure if i feel the need to go 60 rear yet.

Unread 08-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #216
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
and i love to fab.
Good, because I love to see a ZJ get cut up and beaten.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #217
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

picked up the ford axles this morning.
open rear, welded front, 3.54's. side wall to side wall with stock rims and 235 width tires it's at 72" wide, my 8.8 with 11.5" tires and 4" bs soft 8's is 72" from wall to wall, i'm legal up to about 74" wide for tire coverage laws here.

they're going under "as is"

Unread 08-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #218
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
picked up the ford axles this morning.
open rear, welded front, 3.54's. side wall to side wall with stock rims and 235 width tires it's at 72" wide, my 8.8 with 11.5" tires and 4" bs soft 8's is 72" from wall to wall, i'm legal up to about 74" wide for tire coverage laws here.

they're going under "as is"
Is that 74" with the flares or without? What are you going to be using for mounts?
Unread 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #219
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

with flares. probably actually be legal beyond that but don't want to push on road. skinny 33's will fit with coverage to spare on stock offset 3/4-1ton 8 lug wheels. amazingly they only care about tire coverage and i can have the hubs sticking out as far as i want.

some mounts i'll build myself some parts will be sourced from ballistic or btf and other such places as needed.
nothing but the diff is going to hang below the tubes, high steer on the front.

pricing things out now. going to convert to rear discs with eldorado calipers to retain my ebrake. 4.10 gears i think(i know that's taller than most people would run, i'm building a motor that will have the power off idle to make that low cruising rpm range work), going to retain the clayton's set up.

Unread 08-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #220
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ff d60

ghetto fabbed hd hp44

story is that they were an 18y/o kids first axle swap, he put them into a full size bronco for mud running. ran 44's on 3.54 gears, can't imagine how much that sucked to drive.
the welds aren't too bad but the material choices are crazy. pipe flanges for coil spring retainers and perches, pipe and long bolts for sway bar link mounts and a track bar mount. for some reason he welded a set of pipe thread dies to both spring retainers. ghetto diff skids, that he still managed to bang off of everything even with 44's. the drag link is mounted to the tie rod in a manner i've never seen before, nor would i want to drive with it like that.

needs all new bearings, seals, ujoints, lock outs, and brake parts. disk conversion for the rear, trusses, high steer...etc. going to be fun. probably be done with them before fall kicks off, may wait a bit to toss them in though after finishing up depending upon tire and wheel budgets.

Unread 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #221
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

wms to wms
rear, 65"
front, 67"

i was operating under the assumption they were both 69", opens up wheel and tire choices a bit.

Unread 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #222
redfoxbody
1996 ZJ 

Looks like you have your work cut out for ya

That thing is going to be BEEF

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]Depressed about your car dent? dentszone.com[/CENTER] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=]Nice the legs in that last picture, almost makes you not think about the jeep.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=]My 16 year old little sister, you creep.[/QUOTE]
redfoxbody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #223
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

quick comparison of some brakes.
f250 d44 brakes.
evo vii front brembo
2004 wj akebono

another shot of the iceland flares.

Unread 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #224
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
quick comparison of some brakes.
f250 d44 brakes.
evo vii front brembo
2004 wj akebono

another shot of the iceland flares.
DAM! those brakes are huge
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #225
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Replacement calipers are dirt cheap too.

Accumulating parts. Been classifieds scouring to find the best pricing.got some bonus money coming that will cover all rebuild parts, brackets, and some upgrades. Time to decide on who's alloy shafts to use. Been very impressed with rcv shafts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.