ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #181
shawnsack

hey man ur up in erie arent you? id love to come check out your build so far if you wouldnt mind so maybe i could steel some ideas haha... pm if ud be cool with that

shawnsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #182
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you got anything you want to run on the trails? local club is doing a run this coming weekend. 20$ non member drivers and it's a pig roast with trail riding till after dark. location is private and local. looking to be a decent turnout. pm if you want to try things out.

my rig isn't ready to rock yet. still waiting on a few parts so i can get some legal stickers. but i'll be there. so will sir fuego from mc with his zj buggy.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #183
shawnsack

naa my jeep is still stock but i got a v8 and nv3500 and 231 or 242 waiting to go under it along with 1 tons... and im thinkin i might measure a pair of half ton dodge coils and see how much lift they give me and then grab 3-4in lift half tons if theyll work for the front...
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #184
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there's gonna be at least 8-10 stock jeeps running. the stock trails are a good challenge with some a/t's on a stock jeep. no real need for armor on those trails either.
if nothing else you can probably find someone willing to take a ride along and at least introduce yourself to people since you're probably going to want to network for jeepin and mods.
eriejeeppeople.com

Unread 07-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #185
shawnsack

maybe next time. i gotta work all weekend and i need atleast a few weeks notice before i can get a weekend off to do something like that...
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #186
PaLftr
1997 ZJ 

Wow, didn't know you're from Erie, RM.

You happen to know a decent shop than would torch off my axle LCA mounts and weld new ones on?
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #187
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

woah...i'm not from erie, them's fightin words there.

Unread 07-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #188
shawnsack

oh i thought u were? where u from in pa?
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #189
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

where you live is not always where you're from.

Unread 07-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #190
shawnsack

haha ok so weve steered off course... if im ever up that way would u mind me swinging by to check out ur work?
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #191
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

went wheeling with the club yesterday. i was reduced to spotter and shotgun since my rig is still not done. but my g/f's tj made it quite a bit further than i expected with 31" bfg at's and a rear aussie at stock height and no disco's.

no damage and she made it through the "mod" trail sections with only a few tugs. i need to flip her trailer hitch and get my old budget boost pucks under it so she doesn't drag tail as much.

got to ride along with sirfuego from mc for a run. his rig, minus the whole buggy part, is set up near exactly how mine is ending up so it was nice to get a feel for what it can do. i just have to worry about body panels and glass more than he does. considering a bolt on exo cage for use as body line sliders since a welded cage would put me into trailered status in this state.

out to finish my alignment and some other junk. wheeling always gets me motivated.

Unread 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #192
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

cleaned up my relay nest, finished the locker wiring and tested it out. aligned everything. pinion angles are both "good", i have to get it on a machine to get everything set correct and verify the thrust angle is good.
wheelbase is now 110".

finally put my center console back in.

not too bad for a day's fun, not too awful much more to go. most of it requires money though.

got to see a wide variety of tires run the pa mud trails. a few tires i thought would do better didn't clean the appalachian clay out very well. a few performed better than their tread would lead you to believe.

i've pretty much figured out what type i'm gonna run now, gotta work a few weekends to get the cash ready though.

Last edited by ratmonkey; 07-11-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #193
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

What are you going to run for a tire? I'm trying to decide between LTB's, KM2's and MT/R-K's but haven't wheeled with anyone that has any of the above tire. I think we have pretty similar terrain and would like to see what you think.
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #194
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ltb's were pretty much the standard issue this weekend, no one over 37's.
pitbull rockers did GREAT as they should for the price.
the km2's actually clogged fast and didn't shed mud at all. dude was having a very hard time in the slop.

1 guy was running a decent size mt/r k, 34's, and they did excellent as well, he was open/open in a jk unlimited and walked a lot of things others had trouble with.

Unread 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #195
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
ltb's were pretty much the standard issue this weekend, no one over 37's.
pitbull rockers did GREAT as they should for the price.
the km2's actually clogged fast and didn't shed mud at all. dude was having a very hard time in the slop.

1 guy was running a decent size mt/r k, 34's, and they did excellent as well, he was open/open in a jk unlimited and walked a lot of things others had trouble with.
Good to know what you said confirms a lot of what I was thinking . . .

I was considering running 35" LTB's if I keep my JK Moab/KM1 setup for when I'm not wheeling, but I'd rather not run those on the street.

I like the look of the pitbull's as well and from what I can tell, they seem like they'd be highly effective in a lot of conditions, but I couldn't justify $300+ per tire on top of needing a second set seeing as they look super aggressive for street use.

Between the KM2 and the MTR-K, I was leaning towards the MTR-K. Seems like one of the most streetable aggressive tires out there, and it would keep me from having to run a second set of tires, which would be good because it's looking like I might be pulling DD duty more often than I thought with the Laredo.

That being said, what are you planning on going with? Are you planning on DD'ing your rig much once it's completed, or will it be streetable mostly for the sake of not trailering it to wheel?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.