ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ratmonkey's build. In progress: 3/4 ton and 37's

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #136
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Ended up using 90's instead of j's. Curing the ceramic sint on the y-pipe now. Pictures coming soon.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #137
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
somewhere in this picture is a joke. anyone care to guess the punchline?

Hits from the BONG!!!
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #138
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

forgot the weld in bung, i'll get that tonight. wish i had more time and warmer weather.

Unread 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #139
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

well, weather is warmish and dry. work has begun again.

welded on one slider and got my exhaust tacked up. finally...

i hate cold weather and snow.

this weekend should be productive. i may actually get to move this beast up and down the driveway by sunday. lol.

Unread 03-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #140
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

sweet! take lots of pics.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #141
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Exhaust, both street and wheeling versions, are all but done. Need to figure out the best hangar placements. Pics forthcoming in the daylight.

Did a side exit for inspection and road legality and I can run just a turndown at any point after the y-pipe merge as I feel like. The cat and glasspack have collector flanges at both ends for ease of removal. 2.125" Id tube from the headers to the merge, 3"id the rest of the way back. Used the flowmaster y merge found on summit racing.

Now, back to aligning the rear axle. Such a pita that is.

Unread 04-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #142
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

some pictures. don't mind some of the crappy welds. fluxcore and aluminized pipe don't always mix.
also, don't mind the jack holding the slider up, haven't properly fitted it yet.

what will be my new driveshaft after re-tubing. aluminum from a ford ranger edge(you'll crap a squirrel if you knew what i paid for it). tube is dinged up but the slip, flange adapters, and yoke ends are perfect.

now some exhaust.
side exit. needs a turndown or something a little cuter.

low hanging, dips under the frame stiffeners right before the body side clayton's brackets.

glasspack end.

y-pipe merger. could have done better on the welding, the industrial mig i was using just put too much voltage into things though. there was some hammer clearancing required after the final assembly due to some heat warpage too unfortunately.

next up is start up to burn off the oils and what not from the pipe, then coating with some ceramic paint to rust proof it all for me.

on quite an interesting side note, i found that jegs shipped me a stainless turndown instead of an aluminized one. that made for about 20mins of frustration with the mig machine before i pulled my head out of my butt and grabbed the lincoln 309 rod and fixed it right. lol.

Unread 04-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #143
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Wont you just smash that exhaust up on the trails? the part near the rear claytons bracket that is.
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #144
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengc4x4 View Post
Wont you just smash that exhaust up on the trails? the part near the rear claytons bracket that is.
read one post up.

everything is on flanges so i can pull it off in about 3 minutes and replace it with a turndown that is also on a flange.

the loop under the frame stiffener is about 1/4" from touching so it hangs about 3 1/2" low for street use only. lol.

everything will be covered up by skid plate here shortly.

Unread 04-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #145
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
read one post up.

everything is on flanges so i can pull it off in about 3 minutes and replace it with a turndown that is also on a flange.

the loop under the frame stiffener is about 1/4" from touching so it hangs about 3 1/2" low for street use only. lol.
Ohh, that seems like a *****, lol. What is you reasoning for doing that rather than just using a turn down all the time?
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #146
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengc4x4 View Post
Ohh, that seems like a *****, lol. What is you reasoning for doing that rather than just using a turn down all the time?
because a turndown is illegal in my state and the po-po are modified vehicle nazis.

i've had staties check ALL of my tires for coverage with a yard stick against them to see if they stick out beyond my fenders.

Unread 04-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #147
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Wow. I forgot you live in PA. You should hop the border over to ohio. No inspections
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #148
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i wonder what this is?

Unread 04-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #149
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

i wonder what this is?
Oooooh I know it's the 4x4 thingy!
Unread 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #150
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

someone talk me out of building a front hybrid 44/9" i can get all the parts except the 3rd member and inner axle shafts for 250$. and i know a guy with the cutting and welding jig for 9"s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.