Questions: Uconnect 8.4AN Radio and Vehicle Settings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Questions: Uconnect 8.4AN Radio and Vehicle Settings

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
alfie43

Questions: Uconnect 8.4AN Radio and Vehicle Settings

My 2014 was delivered 2 weeks ago and I have a couple of questions on the operation and features on the 8.4AN radio. First, let me say that I have had 7 cars with full featured Nav radios since 2004 and 5 of those were Chrysler vehicles. So, I am not inexperienced with Uconnect radios. However, I can't seem to figure out how to set up some of the preferences and features on this new 8.4AN.

• The Blind Spot audible warning is way too loud, short of turning it off completely, can the loudness of the chime be set lower?

• Also, the ring of incoming phone calls are blowing me out of the car because they are so loud.

• I often miss my Favorite Song or Favorite Artist notifications because the notification is a tiny 1/4" text announcement in the upper radio face. Is there any way to get a more visible notification? On my 2012 Chrysler, a large, can't miss, dialog box popped up and notified me of a favorite song or artist.

• My 2012 radio had a cool feature that allowed me to pull up and view my list of pre-set radio channels or stations. Once in that mode, I could switch the list to show; either the channel names, or the artists currently playing, or the song titles. With my radio set on any given channel, I could see what or who was playing on my other preset channels...a very nice feature. I can't seem to do this with 8.4AN. I can bring up the pre-set channel or station list, but I can't switch to artist view or song view.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mariano (Alfie)

alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
james_2k
2009 WK 

try here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
alfie43

My quest for answers for these issues led me to the Uconnect web site. http://www.driveuconnect.com . There I found a couple of phone numbers as well as a chat feature. I spent about an hour on the phone with the Uconnect help representatives.

Have you ever talked to a support expert and after a minute into the conversation, you realize that your level of understanding of the subject is greater than theirs? They were very professional and tried hard to help me, but their expertise was limited to basic 8.4AN operation.

I kept asking for the next higher level of support and after being transferred up 3 times, I finally got to a real expert on the line. The bottom line; no good news. All of my concerns cannot be changed or reconfigured. It is in the design of the hardware or software.

•The volume level of the Blind Spot Warning and Incoming Phone Rings are connected to your radio volume setting. They cannot be lowered. Even if I listen to my radio at a moderate level, I'm going to get jolted by the Blind Spot warning and Phone ring.

•Other than the little 1/4" text up in the info bar on top of the screen, there is no way to get a larger more visible notification for my favorites. I will receive a little audible "ding", but that can get lost in many rock songs with a lot of sound on the track, i.e., Jimmi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. If you are driving behind me and I seem to be lane wandering, it's because I'm driving with my eyes on the radio watching for my notifications.

•There is no way to see what or who is playing on your other pre-set channels. The Uconnect people said this is the most frequent complaint of the new 8.4AN radios. People like me that had previous generation Uconnect radios are really disappointed in losing that really cool feature.

Bottom line; hopefully a future software update can address some of these faults in the new 8.4AN Uconnect.

Mariano (Alfie)
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.