Questions for the guys running winches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Questions for the guys running winches

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 02-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
wjjeepman34
2004 WJ 

Questions for the guys running winches

Time for me to get a winch. My question for you guys-

1. What brand winch are you running? And on a scale of 1-10, how much do you like it?

2. What type of cable are you running? Steel or synthetic? Please enlighten me on the pros and cons of the two!

3. What (if anything) have you done/added to your electrical system to support the power of the winch?

4. Anything else I should know? And any in-depth answers are GREATLY appreciated!!!

FWIW, I've been eyeballing the Badlands 12k from harbor freight. Yea yea, I know, harbor freight. But I know a few people running it, without any problems. And for about $320 plus tax (using a 20% coupon off the $399 price), its hard not to consider it.

Thanks guys!

Unread 02-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
DeucesALLin

Recon 10.5K

...synthetic line. I had one, rebuilt it about two years into it with parts from Recon for like $100 and it still tugs. I liked it so much I bought another and used RTV to seal it- REALLY seal it.

$430 from Truck and Winch. Comes with silver nylon rope, black hook, wireless remote and snatch block.
unnamed.jpg
^^^sig
DeucesALLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
jpat30

12 K is an awfully big winch for the WJ. You could easily run 9-9.5 and be fine. As stated earlier, go for synthetic line. It is much lighter and if in the unlikely event that it breaks while winching, there is not the violent whiplash that occurs with steel cable. As far as electrical, just make sure you battery and alt or in good shape and functioning properly and you will be good to go. How are you intending to mount this, on a bumper or removable cradle?
Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
wjjeepman34
2004 WJ 

Getting a bumper made should be done next week. I just figured might as well go big. Is there any significant reason for going too big?
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeepman34 View Post
Getting a bumper made should be done next week. I just figured might as well go big. Is there any significant reason for going too big?
Weight
99SK04GTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
wjjeepman34
2004 WJ 

Im adding 3/4 inch spacers to compensate for the weight.
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
jpat30

You should be fine then. FYI; I believe Petersen's recently did an article on the Badlands series of winches and they gave it very favorable marks. Make sure you post up some pics when you are done. Have a great weekend.
Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I bought the Badlands 12,000 winch for $299 at Harbor Freight. I hated to "go Chinese" but I did anyway. I do believe between the prices and reviews on the Badland winches other winch suppliers have reduced prices.
99SK04GTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
texlurch
2002 WJ 

10.5 Recon, synthetic rope; so far so good it's pulled everything I've hooked it to.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
rockphc
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm using a Superwinch LP8500 that ran me about $275. I wish i could take it underwater and didn't have parts that were so quickly rust prone. It's got the standard metal line and overall it works for what I need. As far as electrical, I'm running an aftermarket radio and small 10" sub/amp combo on the stock set up plus the winch. I just gotta be smart about how the power is being used.

As far as the rust:
I installed the winch and had no cover yet or oil to throw on it. It was toward the end of fall and started raining as I was going in for work. Threw some towels over it and came out after my shift and wiped it down. A few days later there was surface rust on the selector that wiped easily. Now it's oiled and bagged.
Unread 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeepman34 View Post
When shopping winches oftentimes big pull ratings means slow pull and slow rewind speed. Typically low end 12,000# winches are low geared versions of an 8 or 10,000# winch.

A few things I notice, on the Badlands 12,000. This winch has a really slow 16.4 FPM rewind speed, that is because the gear ratio is 265:1. It only has a 90 day warranty, it only holds 65ft of cable, it weighs 85lbs. Going from the prices used imported winches sell for its resale value is likely going to be next to nothing. It may be a fine winch but that short warranty period tells me they are not so sure.

So far I have resisted buying Chinese because the brand come and go. I have 2 winches at the moment, a Warn HS9500 and a M8000. I paid less than $500 shipped for each. The Warn I have on my WJ is the M8000. The M8000 will break the steel cable that comes on the winch if you jog it after it is really tight so pull is not a problem. The rewind speed is 30.2 fpm, the gear ratio is 216:1, it holds 100 ft of cable, it weighs 74 lbs. The Warranty is lifetime for mechanical and one year for electrical. Warn resale value is very good. If I need more pull I can always 2 part the line then it will out pull a 12,000# winch and nearly equal it for line speed and line length.

Warn has a rebate of up to $150 right now, I see Warn M8000 winches for as low as $483 shipped after rebate, some shopping might turn up a better price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...&t_pn=WAR26502

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/...ebate-2014.pdf
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

There was an article that was extremely enlightening about winches and the demands placed on them, I'll have to see if I can find it again..
Basically, if you are going up a 10º grade in a v8 zj, stuck up to the axles in mud, zero extra weight in the jeep, you would need a 15,000lb winch line to barely go up to the safety margin to prevent the line from instantly snapping should you snag a small log or big branch or something. of course 90% of those with winches are in the 8,000-12,000lb ratings so that tells you the factory safety margins are pretty hefty as is most of the time
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #13
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

T-Max 12.5k lb winch = Had it for 8 years. Hundreds of pulls without hesitation.
Steel cable = I have never personally seen a steel cable break. Have seen 3 synthetic ones break (Because they were drug over rock) and several people using frayed ones. Synthetic rope needs to be kept extremely clean. Any dirt in it will start cutting it on hard pulls. But they are way lighter and you can carry a spare and they will both be lighter than the steel one.
200 Amp Alt = I like the power for all my lights, stereo, winch, fridge, ect.
Dual AGM batteries = For reasons stated above and for self jumping the Jeep.

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
chrisk240

What's an average amp draw on a larger winch?
chrisk240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk240 View Post
What's an average amp draw on a larger winch?
It's different among the different brands but it seems to stay 250 to 300 amp draw normal, up to around 450a draw on max load for some

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.