Quadra's 94 ZJ Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Quadra's 94 ZJ Build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Next up was the need for a little auxiliary lighting. Ive looked at many different light-bars and on-the-roof lighting setups. I contemplated mounting them to the rack, making a new bar, mounting them on the windshield posts, and just couldnt make up my mind. So i took a look at my Carr Light-Bar that i kept off of my 4Runner. Perfect! It was just the right width that, with a little trimming, it would fit between my factory roof rack rails. And as a little extra bonus, it still had all my lights attached

First step was to take the bulky feet off the bar:

Took my dremel and notched out the ends of the bar:

Tabs Bent down, And drilling a pilot hole:

Mounted (the screws will eventually be replaced with anti-theft allen-head bolts:

Done!

Im very pleased with the way the bar turned out, it sits nice and low to the roof, which is exactly what i wanted. One could easily duplicate this using a piece of c-channel, or a piece of unistrut.

QuadraBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
RedTj01
2008 JK Wrangler 

Any updates? Just picked up a 95 Zj myself, and I'm pretty happy with it. Yours is coming along great!
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-tj-build-1127470/[/url]
RedTj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTj01 View Post
Any updates? Just picked up a 95 Zj myself, and I'm pretty happy with it. Yours is coming along great!
Thanks man! Not sure why I didnt see you posted, i've been having problems with my email updates... Yes I have done a few more mods to it, I just havent had a chance to upload the pics. Ill get some up tomorrow though. Ive decided im going to build this ZJ for overland style wheeling, and trail driving. Nothing hardcore, im going to end up running BFG A/Ts on it, and aim for some mods based on improving self reliance while out with the rig.

Did you start a build thread for the ZJ? Im looking forward to seeing what you do with it
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
RedTj01
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraBeast

Thanks man! Not sure why I didnt see you posted, i've been having problems with my email updates... Yes I have done a few more mods to it, I just havent had a chance to upload the pics. Ill get some up tomorrow though. Ive decided im going to build this ZJ for overland style wheeling, and trail driving. Nothing hardcore, im going to end up running BFG A/Ts on it, and aim for some mods based on improving self reliance while out with the rig.

Did you start a build thread for the ZJ? Im looking forward to seeing what you do with it
That's gonna be awesome! I'm doin the same with mine, nothing crazy just for trails. I bought it off my friend who is a mechanic. He installed a new 4inch Rough Country Lift, 33inch tires and cragar wheels. I have a thread that has 4 of my old Jeep builds on there, don't know whether to start a new thread or just use my old one lol.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-tj-build-1127470/[/url]
RedTj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTj01 View Post
That's gonna be awesome! I'm doin the same with mine, nothing crazy just for trails. I bought it off my friend who is a mechanic. He installed a new 4inch Rough Country Lift, 33inch tires and cragar wheels. I have a thread that has 4 of my old Jeep builds on there, don't know whether to start a new thread or just use my old one lol.
Thats awesome man, and I vote for starting a new thread if youve got the time, post it up over here in the GC section, ill definitely crawl it.
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #21
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Well its been a couple weeks since i updated this but here we go!

In my continued quest for more lighting, i came across KenleyR's hood light bar build thread, and thought it would be great for on my front bumper.

Link to his original thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/h...t-bar-1365035/

Materials:

1 - Slotted Steel Bar - Lowes- $8
3 - 2PK Pilot Driving Lights - Autozone- $20 ea
Misc Hardware - Ace Hardware $12

Grand Total- $80

First off i scuffed up the steel bar and gave it a quick coat of truck bed coating to make sure it would be completely covered from the elements.

Next I bolted up all of the mounting brackets for the lights:

After mounting all of the lights in the brackets, i taped off the lenses and sprayed everything with 4 coats of truck bed coating.

After the bar was completely assembled and painted, i had to figure out a plan for mounting. I was originally going to make steel brackets, cut slots in the bumper cover, and bolt it to the steel underneath, but finally decided it was light enough to bolt to my grille.

Drilling the mounting holes.. Just for the record those are water drops on my grille from the tree above, not the paint bubbling!

The bar mounts flush to the grille in the center with a bolt and fender washer.

On the two outside mounting points, again there are bolts and fender washers, but nylon spacers were necessary between the bar and the grille to keep it rigid, due to the contour of the grille.

All assembled and ready for installation!

Unread 08-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

And here it is mounted up!

Both Light Bars istalled and sitting pretty

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

At this point i was puzzled with the dilemma of where to mount my CB. I test fit it in multiple locations in the cab, and just didn't like any of them. I couldnt bring myself to just screw it to the dash, the side of the center console, or under the glove box. I like everything in my rigs to look clean, and the thought of having the bulky CB hanging out in the open bothered me too much. I ended up deciding to mount it in my center console, but a little different than others have done.

Sadly, i was so involved in my work i forgot to take any during pictures, but here is the end result. I still have yet to run the coax cable up to the console, and run my power wire, but the hard part is done.

The CB is fastened to the lid with two galvanized L-brackets. It is very secure and i haven't had any problems with it so far.

Antenna Bracket

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

I was looking at the amount of space left in the console and decided it would be a perfect location for my spare Blackhawk Serpa holster. After a little modification, it was fastened inside the console, giving me a new home for my handgun while driving. The Serpa holster already has a tab to keep the handgun locked in the holster. It is very easy for me to still reach in, hit the tab and draw the handgun efficient speed, if i ever need to. The console lid still closes completely, with no rattles whatsoever.

Enjoy!
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Earlier in my thread i acquired some organizers to hold spare fluids and shop towels in the back of my rig. However, i had the organizers flip over a couple of times and send the bottles rolling all around my cargo area. Luckily no spills, but it still needed attention.

I bought a piece of angle steel at Lowes, and then cut it to the appropriate length, and angled the end to make it easier to get the organizers in and out. After rounding the sharp edges down with a grinder, i sprayed it with some truck bed coating and screwed it to the floor with some self tappers.

No more organizers flipping over when i turn, and no more rolling bottles to annoy me!
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

After the installation of all my lights and accessories, I started thinking of where i wanted to put my switch panel. Again, wanting to keep everything clean and seamless, i decided to put it in place of my worthless, half-working Laredo VIC. I used a piece of aluminum off of an old computer case i had, which had bevels stamped in it, and i felt it added a little detail instead of a plain flat panel.

After a lot of dremel work, i cut all of the guts out of the white box that houses the bulbs for the VIC. No pictures of this messy and annoying process sadly. I then sprayed the new panel with truck bed coating for a little texture, and screwed it back on to the white housing "box".

A few installed pics

Ive decided that the panel will house ten switches all together, which are on order from ebay. I went with the green illuminated rockers. As soon as they come in, ill cut the slots out, and get everything wired up correctly, and i will have to post up some night shots of the lights!
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Ive been debating multiple ideas for cargo organization in my Jeep. Especially since it will be used for overlanding, camping, trailing, and multiple other uses. I decided to build a cargo box with sliding drawers to hold all my equipment, tools, etc. This mod isnt actually done yet, nor even started, and is still in the planning stage. I drew up a quick sketch to visually see my idea.

That is the rough idea there. I picked up a cargo divider at the local U-pull it for $20 out of a wrecked news vehicle. I will be using the top piece and mounting it to the top of the box to keep any loose gear from flying forward. The two large drawers on the bottom will house multiple MOLLE EOD bags which will be labeled with the contents they contain, such as Medical, Recovery, Tools, Kitchen, etc. The top drawer will hold various spare parts and equipment, and i will also be making a large foam insert with cutouts to hold my firearms on range trips or outings.

I am also working on a plan to incorporate a slide-out table, for either food prep, checking maps, field work, etc.

I will also be installing racks over the windows, which will allow for hanging MOLLE pouches, as well as a fire extinguisher.

I cant wait to get started on this project, and i will keep the thread updated with those posts as well as soon as it begins!
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

lots of awesomeness going on there!
i really like that light bar on the grill. might have to try something similar.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
lots of awesomeness going on there!
i really like that light bar on the grill. might have to try something similar.
Thanks man! I take a lot of pride in my work and try to think everything through before doing any mods, so it means a lot! if you end up building one be sure to post up a finished pic. I always enjoy seeing other member's work!
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraBeast View Post
Thanks man! I take a lot of pride in my work and try to think everything through before doing any mods, so it means a lot! if you end up building one be sure to post up a finished pic. I always enjoy seeing other member's work!
will do

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.