Quadra's 94 ZJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Quadra's 94 ZJ Build

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Quadra's Overland ZJ Build

Well since I have a new project, I figured its time for a new build thread.

After spending the last three years in a first gen 4Runner I was really starting to miss my old ZJs. So after selling the 4Runner I started looking at numerous Jeeps. I ended up getting a very good deal on a 94 ZJ with a newer 4" Rough Country lift (I know, straying a little from my built not bought mindset but it was too good a deal to pass up)

I have a lot of plans for this ZJ (Budget Allowing ) so stay tuned to see whats in store! Hopefully some others might find some information useful as well.

Specs:
94 ZJ
5.2 V8 318MPI
4" RC Lift
16" Konig Wheels
265-75R16 Tires (Goodyear Wranglers Up Front, GT Radial Adventuro MTs out back)

The paint is in great shape on this rig, and almost zero rust on the whole thing.

Anyway enough jibberish, what good is a thread without pictures?

After picking it up

Last edited by QuadraBeast; 08-02-2013 at 03:31 PM..
QuadraBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

First mod was my Walmart cargo basket. Nothing special, but for a hundred bucks it will sure work good until i can fab up something better. Its very secure and gives me some extra space. Plus it doesnt look too bad either!

Rack on:

The knobs that you can see in the picture have since been replaced with lockwashers and hex nuts for a little extra security and space.

Last edited by QuadraBeast; 08-02-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

After my last two ZJs i found that the reverse lights were pretty dim at best, so i decided i needed a little more light output behind the jeep. I bought a pair of harbor freight utility lights, and modified them to fit my rack.

Simply disassemble the light, remove the mounting bolt and replace it with a 3/8 carriage bolt, and then fastened it tight with flat washers and a 3/8 hex nut. Then screw on an appropriate split ring hanger (the ones i needed were meant to hang 1/2" IPS Steel pipe) and then line the inside of the split ring with sticky backed foam to prevent it from sliding/rattling.

Light disassembled and new hardware in

Split Ring on and wound down tight

Painted with a little Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating (One of my favorites. Great texture without going overboard, and very durable.)

Lights mounted along with my Hi-Lift and Shovel
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Ive looked at multiple ways to organize the spare fluids i keep in my rig. Half the time they end up flying all over the place and rolling around or leaking all over my carpet.

I stumbled across these organizers at Target one day and took two and walked over to the automotive aisle. Wouldnt you know, they were the perfect size for oil bottles, as well as spare coolant, brake fluid, etc.

These are the containers, you can find them at Target for $12 a piece.

Hit them with some truck bed coating

Nice finish

All stocked up and doing their job. I still have to remove those annoying cargo "rails" on the floor.

They work great and havent spilled over yet, i will be installing short strips of perforated angle steel to help keep them in line and give some extra support.
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Next up was the discolored grille and the faded c-pillar "vents" that clearly needed some attention. Removed them all, scuffed them up and then wiped them clean of any excess dust, and then sprayed them with a few coats of SEM Flexible bumper coater. This stuff works miracles, and looks ten times better than any vinyl or fusion paint i have ever used. I used it at the Ford dealership i worked for and ive never found anything better.

Sadly this is the only before picture of the grille i have

The grille after:

Vents Before:

During:

Vents After Paint:

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Next on the agenda was the faded and scuffed Laredo cladding and bumpers. I always liked the gray cladding to be completely honest, but after painting it black, i think it looks a thousand times better.

For anyone looking for a similar look/paint color, once again i STRONGLY recommend the SEM Flexible bumper coater. It really does make a world of difference.

Just wash all the plastics thoroughly with soap and water, i used dawn because it pulls any excess oil or grease out. You can scuff it lightly if you want, but i personally didn't. The SEM bumper coater adheres very well without the need for any adhesion promoters.

Before, faded gray Laredo cladding:

And After! Huge difference in my opinion

Im very pleased with the outcome, and cant wait to continue with the mods!
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Just a few poser pics

Unread 08-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Looks darn good! What are your plans for her?
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCjunkie93 View Post
Looks darn good! What are your plans for her?
Thanks man!

Plans so far are:

Swaybar Quick Discos
New tires in 285/75R16 If i keep the Konig wheels, but i may sell them to get a set of 33s on 15" d windows or similar.
Rear Cargo Deck/Organizer
Long arms?
More Lighting
CB/Antenna Install
New headlights and clear corners.
Winch bumper?

I have a ton of ideas im tossing around in my head, i already mounted my lightbar today, i modified my Carr lightbar that was on my 4Runner... Pics of that coming tomorrow
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if the viscous coupler wasnt trashed before, it will be after driving around with different tires on the front and the back. other than that, nice jeep
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Seems like a solid list.

X2 on the coupler. You might want to add a transfer case swap to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCjunkie93 View Post
Seems like a solid list.

X2 on the coupler. You might want to add a transfer case swap to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Yeah I may end up swapping the 249 out but im not 100% sure yet.

And I thought of a sooner to do.. a steering wheel cover to fix the infamous sticky steering wheel. All three of my ZJ's steering wheels were peeling and would get sticky on a damp day. Talk about irritating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
if the viscous coupler wasnt trashed before, it will be after driving around with different tires on the front and the back. other than that, nice jeep
All four tires are the same size, just a different tread pattern. I have yet to notice any binding or slipping, and ive been paying close attention to that. Will the difference in tread pattern really make that much of a difference? Trust me I hate having mismatched tires, as well as having no spare But, tires will be the first thing to come as soon as I have the funds for it.
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

tires must all be the same size, and same brand/model. when you get new tires, if you keep the 249, you need to include the spare in the rotation
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
tires must all be the same size, and same brand/model. when you get new tires, if you keep the 249, you need to include the spare in the rotation
Thanks for the info, I honestly never knew that it would make that much of a difference.
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

yep. i seem to remember reading on here that the tires cant be more than 3/32" different in diameter or it starts screwing things up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.