Quadra Trac II 2013 Hill Descent Button - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Quadra Trac II 2013 Hill Descent Button

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
TheHammer610
2013 FSJ Cherokee 

Quadra Trac II 2013 Hill Descent Button

I am new to this forum and have owned my first Jeep, a 2013 Grand Cherokee for less than a week. It has the Quadra Trac II.

Does anyone know how the hill descent button works and how to engage it? I was going down a steep hill and wanted to use it. Every time I hit it, the light would flash, then go out. So I switched into 4WD low and then was able to use it.

The manual says it can be used in 4WD low or regular, but with the knob in the 4WD standard position, I have not been able to engage hill descent no matter what speed I am going or if in Drive or Neutral. There is also no discussion of how it works, what it does or when it should be used.

Is it safe to use when towing a travel trailer?

TheHammer610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
SDHarleydad
1994 ZJ 

I don't know about the jeep one, but I had hill descent on my 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro4x. It is for slow steep descents. It disengages itself as certain speeds or if you apply the gas. It is designed so that you can concentrate on the steering. It engage the brakes/traction control/transmission to a slow steady descent. On the Nissan it was quite loud...but nice to have
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
TheHammer610
2013 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the feedback. When I was able to use it on the Jeep in 4WD low, it works seamlessly and quietly. My passengers thought I was pressing the brakes yet I was not touching them.

I still cannot figure out how to use it in normal 4WD. I sent a question to Jeep online and they have not gotten back to me. So maybe Chrysler does not know how to use it either?
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
TheHammer610
2013 FSJ Cherokee 

Bump.

Has anyone in the meantime had a chance to use the downhill yet on a 2013 Grand Cherokee? I still cannot engage it unless in low 4wd.
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
JeepCares

From the Owner Manual - UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL
9. Hill Descent Control Indicator Light — If Equipped
The symbol indicates the status of the Hill
Decent Control (HDC) feature. The lamp will
be on solid when HDC is armed. HDC can only
be armed when the transfer case is in the “4WD
Low” position and the vehicle speed is less then 30 mph
(48 km/h). If these conditions are not met while attempting
to use the HDC feature, the HDC indicator lamp will
flash on/off.

From the Owner Manual - STARTING AND OPERATING
Hill Descent Control (HDC) — Four-Wheel Drive
Models With MP3023 Two-Speed Transfer Case
Only
HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills
during off-road driving situations and is available in
4WD LOW range only. To enable HDC, press the HDC
switch or put the Selec-Terrain™ system in “ROCK”
mode (“ROCK” mode is only available in 4WD LOW
range).
When HDC is enabled, the HDC icon will be illuminated
in the instrument cluster. HDC will automatically apply
the brakes to control downhill speed to the selected level
when necessary on grades greater than approximately
8%. It will usually not activate on level ground.
The HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the
driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission
gear selected.
HDC operation can be overridden with brake application
to slow the vehicle down below the HDC control speed.
Conversely, if more speed is desired during HDC control,
the accelerator pedal will increase vehicle speed in the
usual manner. When either the brake or the accelerator is
released, HDC will control the vehicle back to the original
set speed.

From the Service Manual:
HILL DESCENT INDICATOR
The hill descent indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when the QuadraDrive four-wheel drive transfer case gear selector is in the 4WD LOW position and the hill descent control push button in the instrument panel switch pod has been depressed to turn the feature ON. This feature uses the grade sensing logic of the CAB to sense the vehicle is descending a hill and employs the brake system to automatically control the hill descent speed of the vehicle. This indicator is controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received over the CAN data bus from the CAB.
The hill descent indicator function of the electronic display unit is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit, and that logic will only allow this indicator to operate when the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused ignition output (run-start) circuit. Therefore, the hill descent indication will always be OFF when the ignition switch status is anything except ON or START. The instrument cluster will turn ON the hill descent indicator for the following reasons:
Hill Descent Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster receives an electronic hill descent indicator lamp-ON message from the CAB, the indicator will be illuminated. The indicator remains illuminated until the cluster receives a lamp-OFF message from the CAB, until the cluster arbitrator logic determines that another display request has priority, or until the ignition switch status transitions to OFF, whichever occurs first.
The CAB continually monitors electronic message inputs from the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) and the CCN to determine the status of the QuadraDrive four-wheel drive system and the hill descent control switch, then monitors its own internal grade sensing logic to determine when the hill descent mode should be engaged. The CAB then sends the proper lamp-ON or lamp-OFF message to the CCN.
For proper diagnosis of the hill descent control switch, the FDCM, the CAB, the CCN, the CAN data bus or the electronic communication related to hill descent indicator operation a diagnostic scan tool is required. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
TheHammer610
2013 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks for that. I just noticed that line in the Owners Manual today. However, the vehicle ships with two books. The other is the "Users Guide" and it states:

•
The Hill Start Assist system assists the driver when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill.
The Hill Descent Control system maintains vehicle speed while descending hills during off-road driving situations and is available in 4WD HIGH range and 4WD LOW range.

That contradicts what is in the Owners Manual. I am guessing that since I am unable to use the Hill Start Assist in 4WD HIGH, that the Users Guide is in error.

Thanks for your help.
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
JeepCares

TheHammer610 -

Thanks for pointing that out! How confusing. Go with the Owner Manual/Service Manual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.