Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #121
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
do u mind if I use that while im in moab
Haha, I wanted to buy it before GSW to see how it feels offroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfjeeper View Post
Your lucky,us 6 cyl. guys are always wishing for more power HAHA!!
When it gets tired, build a stroker. Better yet, start looking for cheap parts now and build one little by little. I always like it when I can work on a project slowly and look for the low cost parts.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #122
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Your lucky,us 6 cyl. guys are always wishing for more power HAHA!!
More power? I wish I had any power! For as big and heavy and gas hungry as it is, you'd think it could get the Jeep out of its own way on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
When it gets tired, build a stroker. Better yet, start looking for cheap parts now and build one little by little. I always like it when I can work on a project slowly and look for the low cost parts.
You're still stuck with the craptastic transmission the I6 comes with. So then you have to rebuild that to withstand the torque, and then you have the 35 in the rear, so you need a new axle... I think the only real solution is to unscrew the radiator cap, drive said Jeep out from under it. Drive a 5.9 into place, and screw down said cap. All done!

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #123
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine really is not that bad,i only run 265 tires and mine only has 65k miles on it so not tired yet,i will prob. just do a cold air kit for now,maybe some kind of chip too
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #124
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Mine really is not that bad,i only run 265 tires and mine only has 65k miles on it so not tired yet,i will prob. just do a cold air kit for now,maybe some kind of chip too
Don't bother with such pointless upgrades. Just regear. It'll make more difference. I've done everything except for a performance chip, which isn't exactly useful on a stock 4.0. Well, I still have the stock exhaust. Anyway, it just doesn't get more powerful. With an aftermarket intake and performance tune-up, it still is weak. Mine has 121k miles on her now though.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #125
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

well dont agree with pointless,i've had a lot of luck with cold air kits,my wrangler running 33in. tires got a lil more gitty up after coldair kit along with my silverado,didnt help on gas mileage much but seat of paints i could tell it helped,and the chip i had in silverado made a big difference but then again that was a v-8 not a 6 cyl. so i will for sure try the coldair kit but prob. be it,maybe a re-gear in bout a year or so,dont want to do that yet til i decide which rear axle i will end up with
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #126
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I think the front driveshaft needs to be completely rebuild, maybe a new double cardan. It chewed through u-joints in no time at all, these u-joints are brand new.

BTW, I love having a cell phone camera. It allows you to record areas where you just can't see. I just wedged the phone up there, then pulled it out and looked at the recording.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #127
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Well, It looks like the joints were wearing fast because the CV section of my cardan joint was toast. I had the driveline rebuilt this morning, and WOW what a difference. The WJ has NEVER felt so good at highway speed since I've owned it. At 70, it felt very smooth. I also dropped it into 4lo, and the clunking/grinding is gone!!!

I guess I should see if 4WP has some par pin eliminators in stock tomorrow, I would like to eliminate that one last annoying sound up front.

Here is the driveline just before it went in. For a minute, I thought there was a problem. The joints fit so tightly into the yoke, that they were not going in between the ears on the yoke. I had to snug the bolts up slightly to get them to pop into place. I am very happy with the smooth ride.

Unread 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #128
patrick983
2000 WJ 

thats great to hear, i think i may try this myself since you had good success
Unread 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #129
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Right before I had it rebuilt, I drove on the highway without the front shaft in. After reinstalling, it was just as smooth. So if you se a big difference with your front driveline out, and if your pinion angle looks good, this might do the trick for you as well.

I picked up bar pin eliminators today, hopefully they will go in tonight.

Unread 06-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #130
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

One last upgrade before we head out to Moab tomorrow for GSW...
I really needed bar pin eliminators as the shock bushings were not staying in place, it was actually getting pretty annoying. When this happens (pretty common on the WJ's and ZJ's, the shock contacts the axle mount and rattles. I am glad this sound is now gone.

I am glad there is a 4wp close to me, I have been there twice in the last week.

Here is what both sides looked like:

Fixed:

Unread 06-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #131
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Teaser Video...I will get more pics and vids up later of Hells Revenge.

Unread 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #132
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Very awesome.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #133
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Pretty dang cool IROC,nothing like wheeling in God's country,you guys looked really good out there flexing your stuff.
Unread 06-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #134
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

It was the MOST fun I have ever had wheeling. Everyone needs to make it out to GSW next year! My wife loved it so much that she made me promise we would return each year.

I flexed it out farther than ever before, I actually brought the front drivers tire off of the ground on hells gate. Those watching said I had 6 inches between the coil and the body. It's a good think I have retainer posts. I will get those pics up soon.

Unread 06-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #135
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I was having problems uploading this one with the music...so here is the no music version of Hells Gate.

Check it out, my wife was terrified, thought I was going to roll the Jeep and die.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.