Yeah but floods also cause washouts that you cant see when water is still up,back in '83 i had a 77 K5 blazer sitting on 38in. monster mudders and lockers front and rear,driving down flooded road next to river and hit a washout and nearly lost my truck,hammered her pretty hard in reverse and got out but VERY scary,i stuck to muddy trails after that and stayed away from high water
As long as the flood isn't in my basement... I live 5 houses of off a street that was a river during Utah's floods of 1983. We have more snow this year than that year, but our infrastructure has improved.
The melting snow has already closed/washed away the road leading to my favorite trails.
Has anyone else with three links noticed an axle rotation when they flex? When stuff the passenger side, the axle is rotated forward and my bump stop contacts the bump stop pad on a pretty decent angle. Almost half of the bump stop pad is behind the pad that it contacts, and it does not come anywhere close to contacting it at a flat angle.
I may end up building a forth link(mounted inboard and as long as the lower to prevent binding) to see if this helps. I am not worried about loosing articulation, I will droop so far that my spring retainers see good use.
I moved the axle back about 1/2 inch this weekend. I couldn't go any further back as I turned the joints all the way into the arms. Even without hammering the pinch seams over, I have an inch of clearance. I will have to go flex it out again to see how much I have to trim. With other lift kits, you may be able to adjust the arms back further. But these RK arms are pretty long even on the shortest adjustment.
It was a busy day with the Jeep. I pulled the tranny pan (always a mess) and removed both the filters. I haven't changed the fluid since I bought the WJ with 84K on it, it now has 118K. I was happy to see that there was very little metal on the magnet.
I dropped the valve body and went to install the Transgo Reprogramming Kit.
Overall, installing the kit was fairly easy. But when I got to the #2 springs...
the inner spring was in multiple pieces. Luckily that is one of the springs that gets replaced with the transgo kit, because not all of them do.
After the trans was back together (I laid the gasket on the pan and pushed all of the bolts through the gasket. All but 2 stayed in place. I read that another user did this, great idea. It keeps the gasket spaced right, and really helps you re-install the pan quickly.
It shifts much better, quicker at full throttle. I didn't install the resistor to up the line pressure though as I will likely be getting a programmer in the next few days.
After that I moved onto the oil sending unit. It was acting funny again in Moab during EJS. I installed a new Mopar unit just over a year ago. I can't believe it was bad already. Sure enough, the electric plug was full of oil so the unit must be bad. I cleaned the connector with brake parts cleaner and ear swabs, put another new Mopar unit it, and plugged it back in.
Next I pulled out the grinder and the mini sledge. I trimmed about 1inch more off of the bumper and hammered on the metal underneath. It is raining like crazy again, so I will have to wait to go flex and see if I trimmed enough.
Well, the trimming is done! I ran a few lines to see how it felt disconnected, and everything clears (barely). On another run, I stopped and turned the tires in and out with each side flexed, I now feel like I can disco when needed.