Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #781
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
I would love to keep the abs for M's commute though, but by that time it may not be her DD anymore.
Sounds like it's time to buy her a tow rig to commute with. I have been trying to move Reagan into one for a few years.

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #782
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

My winch (Smittybuilt, less than a year old) was frozen in the engaged mode. According to 4wp, they have seen this a few times. They hooked me up with a new outer cover, selector lever, and install kit.

There is a spring that rests into a bore in the outer cover, with a steel ball on top of it. The selector compresses the spring, and rests on the ball. The selector has two cavities in it that the steel ball rests into, thus keeping the spring loaded selector in the engaged or freel spool modes. This bore filled with water, corroded, and the spring/ball would not move.

When I installed the new cover/spring/ball/lever, I filled the bore with grease to prevent future corrosion. I also added a cover to prevent further issues.

Today I visited two salvage yards and picked up the following:
- Rear interior panel for the drivers side cargo area (I put a hole in mine)
- Drivers door lock mechanism (mine is making some funny noises, sounds like it is on its way out)
- Hood latch (I have to slam mine to get it to shut, time to replace)
- Two pieces of rear door seal (the usual WJ seal shrink...I am going to piece in some extra material at the bottom seam so that it doesn't fall out of the corners anymore)
- A few door clips to replace those that I will inevitably break when I R&R the actuator
- Bottom half of the airbox (2 of my 4 clips have broken off)
- Black center vent and radio console (in case I decide to do a double DIN, this will allow me to modify it and have a spare)
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #783
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Rear interior panel installed, hood latch fixed, and bottom half of airbox installed. It was cold, so I will do the door lock mechanism later.

The hood latch ended up being fine. I noticed that I didn't have enough support on the upper radiator support, so I installed two 1/4 thick nuts between the two vertical support bars in the middle of the grill and the front lower bumper area. this forced the upper radiator support to move up just slightly. I also noticed that the hood still wasn't latching easily. I found that the cable was not releasing, and it was because it was pinched between the outer fender and the Charcoal canister (when I replaced the booster I must have pinched it. Hopefully the cable is fine. I moved the cable from pinch spot, and it is working fine now. It is good to have 4 working latches on the airbox. I did notice that the latches had lost much of their spring. So I removed each one, pinched it slightly, and now they all grab and hold the top of the airfilter box on very well.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #784
Jameswj4
2004 WJ 

phew finally got to the end of your build haha i must say thats an awesome build man. ive see al your vids on youtube before i found your build thread but im glad i did. congrats on a good looking dub. i hope to start building my sherry once im out of college and have time and money hah. keep up the good work.
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #785
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Thanks James.

The lock mechanism started making noise around Christmas, and I purchased a unit from Pick N Pull that same week. It finally gave up the ghost today, so I pulled the door panel and replaced it.

Unread 02-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #786
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

How did you get that smitty cover on? I couldnt figure mine out.. haha

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #787
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

It was kind of a pain with the bumper tolerances so close, I trimmed quite a bit more in order to give me some working room. I just crisscrossed the cord beneath the winch, and then into some of the loops on the cover. Then I pulled it tight and it pulled the cover down over the winch. Good Luck.

Unread 04-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #788
srt4life32
2001 WJ 

What all came with the rock krawler kit if u dont mind me asking. Theres a local guy around here that has a 99 gc hes parting out and told me 500 for the lift and front drive shaft with yokes and i was curious as to what parts are supposed to come with it so i know im getting everything and since i cant find nothing online since they discontinued the kit. But i figured hell 500 i cant pass it up.
srt4life32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #789
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I have a Gen 2 kit, and will describe what came with it:

-Two front lower control arms with RK joints in each end
-LCA brackets to weld to the unibody (they also space the tcase down)
-One upper front control arm (some kids had two, mine was a TRI link kit)
-Front upper control arm mounting bracket
-upper control arm joint that fits into the did housing
-Heim joint for the body side uca Mount
-Front and rear extended sway bar end links (I changed my fronts to jks and I don't think the rears were long enough, so I extended mine 3.5 inches. )
-front Springs
-Front track bar with body side bushing and frame side heim
-extended shocks

-two rear lower control arms with RK joints in each end
-two lca rear mounting plates that are welded to the unibody
-upper control arm bracket that bolts to the differential
-two upper control arms (used in place of the factory a-arm) with heims at each end
-extended shocks
-rear Springs
- All the hardware to bolt things on

I believe that is all. Btw, most of the kits don't come with shocks, you order those separate. But I added then to this list because you should ask for them. The hardest part will be to get the brackets off of the frame, clean then up, and weld them back on. The track bar axle Mount might require drilling If the bolt is larger diameter than your factory bolt. I have the factory bolt in mine, but later kits have a larger bolt. Make sure to get all the hardware, especially the spacer and track bar bolt. Unless that axle side bushing is in great shape, I would replace it. RK still has a lot of the parts, just get the numbers off of the bushings and call them.

EDIT-Mine also had front coil spring retainers and small bump stop extensions.

Unread 04-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #790
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

All those wheeling trips have had their toll on the exhaust system. I have had to weld the inlet back onto the muffler two times, and now this happened:

I was just going to put a turn down on it and call it good, but I just decided to run over to a local exhaust shop and have a magnaflow installed. I also had them cut the hanger and raise the rear of the pipe about 3 inches. It matches the lines of the Protofab much better now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.