Project Yeti, Abominable WJ - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Project Yeti, Abominable WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #706
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I installed the winch today, it actually went really smooth.

During the first test fit, I noticed that there was too much white visible, and I needed to black out some of the lower panels that have been hidden behind the bumper. A small portion may be seen with the winch cutout. The winch fit well, bolted right up to the Iceland Offroad winch plate:

Luckily I had a rattle can of black, so I quickly sprayed a bit on the front of the jeep before I continued.

The cables were labeled very well, and were easy to install:

There is an area just below the passenger headlight where you can run the wires from the winch up to the battery, perfect path:

There is a bit of extra wire. I just wound it up, tied it together, and left it on the side of the winch tray next to the winch. I will be hidden and out of site:

First I made a template with some cardboard, then found the center of the bumper, placed the template in place, and laid some tape down for lines, and cut the fiberglass (while wearing a breathing mask and long sleeves of course. I measured many times to make sure that I was cutting it correctly (measure from the mounting surface of the winch plate, add the thickness of the bumper, the measure from the front outer bumper shell:

After I sliced it, I installed the bumper and wound the line in.

I need to wind the line out, and tighten it under load before I use it. But everything is on and it fits, I am very happy with the winch. Next time we run Metal Masher, I will take a shot at widowmaker.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #707
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really good with your bumper. Always have liked the Iceland bumpers.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #708
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Or you could winch me up Rock Chucker if I get high centered again. Looks good!

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #709
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Nice Will! I have the same winch and remember reading somewhere that the hook on some of the smittybuilt 8K winches is only rated at 5K. I plan on cutting mine off and replacing it with a prolink thimble. Just hate for it to snap off.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #710
DrGrand
2003 WJ 

I can tell you right now that a winch is one of the best investments that you can make. Not really for me (mine hasn't gotten stuck recently ) but for other people. Its great piece of mind.
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #711
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

It is something that is more for prepardness. It is always good to have one winch in the group, just in case someone needs to pull Chris off of Rock Chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Looks really good with your bumper. Always have liked the Iceland bumpers.
Thanks. I think that Notch is going to be selling them again soon, I love the lines of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Nice Will! I have the same winch and remember reading somewhere that the hook on some of the smittybuilt 8K winches is only rated at 5K. I plan on cutting mine off and replacing it with a prolink thimble. Just hate for it to snap off.
Really, that's crazy. I think I may get the prolink just for convenience. I want to replace the winch fairlead with the one that came with the winch, but I have to bend it first b/c the bumper has a slight curve to it and the fairlead is straight. I don't want to remove the rope to replace it, or any other time when I want to remove the bumper for paint or maintanance. That, and they look cool
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #712
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Installed the front 3/4 spacers to compensate for the winch. I had installed 3/4 inch spacers in the rear when I added the protofab bumper, so this brought everything back inline. The jeep sits pretty level now.

Unread 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #713
adavis39
2002 WJ 

looks very nice with the winch tucked in there low
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #714
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
I installed the winch today, it actually went really smooth.

During the first test fit, I noticed that there was too much white visible, and I needed to black out some of the lower panels that have been hidden behind the bumper. A small portion may be seen with the winch cutout. The winch fit well, bolted right up to the Iceland Offroad winch plate:

Luckily I had a rattle can of black, so I quickly sprayed a bit on the front of the jeep before I continued.

The cables were labeled very well, and were easy to install:

There is an area just below the passenger headlight where you can run the wires from the winch up to the battery, perfect path:

There is a bit of extra wire. I just wound it up, tied it together, and left it on the side of the winch tray next to the winch. I will be hidden and out of site:

First I made a template with some cardboard, then found the center of the bumper, placed the template in place, and laid some tape down for lines, and cut the fiberglass (while wearing a breathing mask and long sleeves of course. I measured many times to make sure that I was cutting it correctly (measure from the mounting surface of the winch plate, add the thickness of the bumper, the measure from the front outer bumper shell:

After I sliced it, I installed the bumper and wound the line in.

I need to wind the line out, and tighten it under load before I use it. But everything is on and it fits, I am very happy with the winch. Next time we run Metal Masher, I will take a shot at widowmaker.
Looks familiar
image-575119719.jpg  
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #715
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Yes it does Timbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
looks very nice with the winch tucked in there low
I was surprised at how low it sat, it doesn't block much of the grill/airflow at all.

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #716
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Looks good! What's left on the list for Yeti?

Might be time to get the IROC out...

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #717
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I thought I would be rolling in the IROC already, but Emmy has other plans for me...I just need to finish the shelving in the shed, and I should be ready to fire up the IROC projects again

My To Do list for Yeti isn't too extensive, just small stuff now:
- Inspect the slide pins on the calipers (clean and grease) - It feels like I have a rear caliper that is pulling a bit.
- Test the CB - It is in, I just need to test it to see if my solder connection at the CB turned out ok
- Check A/C Charge (I did the heater core in the fall after it had cooled down, now that it is warming up I can do an AC pressure test to see if more 134 is needed)
- Grease TRE's, Ball Joints, CA joints, Drivelines
- Replace front diff cover and fluid
- I may need to replace the body side RK poly bushings on the LCA's, I will test them this weekend for slack
- Stretch the winch line out, and wind it on under load

Unread 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #718
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Time to share some pics from our recent Moab Trip...

Upon our return, there were a few things to replace: Licence plate light, torn mud flap, air filter, clean throttle body...I still need to take the front end apart, I believe I damaged a CV. I will also replace my steering stabilizer as it is now toast

Here is my cool co-pilot, the WJ is her DD:

Dropping into Cliffhanger:

View of Cliffhanger entrance from below:

Cliffhanger has some amazing views, and also some large drops:

Clgielin and I:

End of Cliffhanger, great views:

Coming back out of Cliffhanger:

Getting tippy:

Hiking around the cliff on Chicken Corners:

End of the trail on Chicken Corners:

Red Dirt looks cool on the Utah JeepCrew sticker:

Night wheeling on Fins:

Messing around after exiting Strike Ravine:

Maybe I'll get around to editing more video after this last trip, I have been slacking.

Unread 06-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #719
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Always will love this dub, cleanest and most tasteful mods. Nice job Will!
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #720
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Always will love this dub, cleanest and most tasteful mods. Nice job Will!
Thanks Moony!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.